Weather

16 minutes ago, signfan said:

Well It would  be nice to see Ontario return to cold and hopefully some snow 

FWIW. This time last year was the first time we opened the trails for the season and it lasted for about 7 weeks.

We still have a decent base throughout 60-70% of our trails, especially in the northern portion. As of right now, it wouldn't take much snow to get the many of the trails open again. However, the southern portion needs cold temps and snow. The frozen water holes and swamps are getting soft and wet again.

• Like 2

Yesterday in Nova Scotia. C4833188-E2D6-4DC6-BFE0-A64EBFA9D796.thumb.jpeg.44d7d56caf143db54d8b27d10c018f60.jpeg

Today in Nova Scotia 

A984BC3B-0A78-4307-BD47-E3C3A0900335.thumb.jpeg.f68ea45f3d4a67da38386b824e2d620e.jpeg

• Like 9

I heard they were getting over 2” per hour

• Like 1

So far 2024, the winter that wasn't

Snow and cold returns to Cochrane at the end of the week. But its going to take a beating up there for the next 5 days.

The pics Polar Bear Riders have been posting look grim already.

• Like 1

The rest of my family are travelling for March break - my son and I are home - hoping for a turn of weather for that so we can go riding, if not - then lets get the bikes, boats, pwcs, fishing rods and golf clubs out

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Sudbury no good either 

Nope

27 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

The rest of my family are travelling for March break - my son and I are home - hoping for a turn of weather for that so we can go riding, if not - then lets get the bikes, boats, pwcs, fishing rods and golf clubs out

I think you’ll be able to ride, ideally around your parents place or possible trailer a bit further.

It feels like winter is done in many areas

, but I don’t think so. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Snow and cold returns to Cochrane at the end of the week. But its going to take a beating up there for the next 5 days.

PBR announced that they are closing a bit of trail this week and asking people to stay off them.    They said that all grooming has stopped until next weekend as well.     

I am sticking around home for a couple of weeks after putting on 1200kms last week in Quebec but I am crossing my fingers that things will reopen by the middle/end of Feb. 

On 2/3/2024 at 10:10 PM, Strong Farmer said:

It's bad in Ontario. Out wesr is warm too. Only spot that has amazing snow in Alaska broke all kinds of records for snow fall this winter. Last week they got 41 cm's in a day 😳

IDK about Rabbit Ears or Vail or Grande Mesa, but Wolf Creek Pass (of CW McCall fame) "The snowiest place in Colorado" is showing 61" base right now. That is low for them, but plenty deep enough. But best of all, Monarch Pass (closest to our riding area) is now showing 61" as well! And that is prolly aboot normal for this time of year. Maybe even a bit over norm?

Last week - their 4-day showed 9-19" if you added it all up, and yesterday - they showed a full 19" of fresh for the last 48 hours!

But looking at Togwatee Lodge, that doesn't look too deep there. No-where's near what it should.

The Albany Lodge web cam in the Snowies Range (Laramie, Wyoming) looks like it should be rideable. Not a lot at the lodge, but I'm guessing that there is more as you head up the hill from there. We rode there a few years ago @ Easter.

Planning on Colorado next week!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The twins, and Denis have posted pics on FB, around the Hearst, Kap areas. The twins pics show snow (very low depths though) but, Denis' pics from the trail between Hornepayne and Hearst are brutal. Crazy for this time of the year. Ski

• Like 1

im in Huntsville now for some work and it's thin man,cant believe Kearney trails are still yellow ,looks like maybe some rain on fri ,WTF ,going to be in the record books this one ,my bud just started a ride in Quebec says its good 

IMG_20240205_125800.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

im in Huntsville now for some work and it's thin man,cant believe Kearney trails are still yellow ,looks like maybe some rain on fri ,WTF ,going to be in the record books this one ,my bud just started a ride in Quebec says its good 

IMG_20240205_125800.jpg

I can’t believe Kearney has been holding on this long. We were in Kearney last year when it was thin and the trails were table top so I’m not surprised.

They always do a pretty good job and staying on top of maintaining the trails clearly helps. 

I just talked to Patrick at the motel in Dub, he said, Hornepayne tried to groom somewhere over the weekend, and lost 2 wheels on the PB groomer due to low snow, rough conditions. Our club has yet to turn a groomer track. Looking grim, even though I know there is a lot of winter left up there. Ski

6 hours ago, skidooboy said:

The twins, and Denis have posted pics on FB, around the Hearst, Kap areas. The twins pics show snow (very low depths though) but, Denis' pics from the trail between Hornepayne and Hearst are brutal. Crazy for this time of the year. Ski

The twins don’t need much snow, they just fly over it… 

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2024 at 10:07 AM, Ox said:

But looking at Togwatee Lodge, that doesn't look too deep there. No-where's near what it should.

The Albany Lodge web cam in the Snowies Range (Laramie, Wyoming) looks like it should be rideable. Not a lot at the lodge, but I'm guessing that there is more as you head up the hill from there. We rode there a few years ago @ Easter.

Planning on Colorado next week!

Togwotee Lodge said they received close to 2 feet the last few days. Snotel shows 47" which is usually when it starts getting good. I wont go there, unless there is at least 40". Triple Peak near Pinedale only shows 27" so that is loooow. That is just southeast of Jackson, and is a pretty neat place to explore. When you get to the top, you can see the Grey's range, and darn near to Utah. Ski

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Double digits for the south Friday..............:headbang:

Going to be +13 in Central lower michigan Thursday, and Friday. Guys are getting their boats out. Ski

Just got up here now. 

Low snow cover on everything and hot weather for next week. Even if we got cold and snow next week it would be two weeks before we could open trails. Thats 3rd week in Feb,,,,,,,,,,,,,