Where did you ride today

volunteer2

We did a little loop *130 km's) around Hearst yesterday, went 2-up on the 670 for a change.  Trails haven't been groomed in about 2 weeks, 4-6 inches of fresh powder on all of them.  Single track wide on the A trail West of Hearst.   I'm ashamed of our club, bunch of richass millionair fat cats sitting in their big offices who never trail ride, should get their heads out of their axxes and do their job.

I'm sending an e-mail to our district rep AGAIN today.  I'm so fed up of this.   Where do I contact someone over her head, if our rep doesn't get anything done ?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We did a little loop *130 km's) around Hearst yesterday, went 2-up on the 670 for a change.  Trails haven't been groomed in about 2 weeks, 4-6 inches of fresh powder on all of them.  Single track wide on the A trail West of Hearst.   I'm ashamed of our club, bunch of richass millionair fat cats sitting in their big offices who never trail ride, should get their heads out of their axxes and do their job.

I'm sending an e-mail to our district rep AGAIN today.  I'm so fed up of this.   Where do I contact someone over her head, if our rep doesn't get anything done ?

thats not right,2 wks.give hell denis

I put on 1027 km from Friday at 10 am until Sunday evening at 5pm.  All in district 5 and 9 combined.  For March thats unbelievable, and a first ever for me being able to leave and return from my clubhouse in St. Mary's this time of year.

And I want to throw down the gauntlet to all who have never ridden the B108 to ride it ALL the way to Tobormory.  I've ridden a lot of places in Ontario south, central and north and NOTHING has come close to the toll this trail takes on you.  It is by far in my opinion both the tightest and twistiest trail.  I rode it all the way from Sauble Beach to Tobormory then down again through Wiarton and back to Sauble.  I know many who cheat and start at Ferndale or Miller Lake (they are soft)  that loop was about 340 of my km.   It was VERY well maintained and groomed the entire way with heaps of snow.  In fact I think you may be able to ride some of this trail in May this year as it is well shaded and as I said tonnes of snow cover.  A big thanks to the Tobormory Club and Central Penninsula club. 

thats not right,2 wks.give hell denis

Last time I saw a groomer on the A trail West of town, was on the day I drove the broken GSX back to Wawa, going on 3 weeks ago.  The other groomer was heading back into town on the float, we met it not long after leaving town.  There was a fresh groomer track on Friday on the A trail East of Hearst, just behind our place.  The regional rep says that our 2 groomers are down, and nearby club (Mattice ?) is helping out.  I wonder how long they'll be down this time .....

Monday morning the weather forcast had changed so loaded the sleds and to Arthur. 25min trailer ride and off thru the Luther marsh Durham, Mount Forest, Teviodale, and back to truck. Was getting a bit sunny in afternoon so all the road runs were still decent.  76 miles. Perfect distance for my 14 year daughter riding the Ace.  After 175 miles to Turkey Point on Fri she was wiped half of Sat.  (but so was I )

Did a short run today w/ the nephew. On 1 trail we were the 1st sleds thru. Due to the temperature drop, the ski "ruts" can be a bit of a danger, so be careful out there if you're breaking trail.

Was out tonight for about an hour right here at home. We got a ton of snow with that storm today and the town hasn't even plowed the roads here yet.

Lots of fresh powder!!!

Too bad it won't last long.

GrizzlyGriff showed me another great local loop today. 250km. We started at Birch Point on Sturgeon Lake, up KLSC 310, down to Cameron Lake, across it to Rosedale, and across Balsam Lake and Mitchell, under the canal at Kirkfield Lift Lock, then 101/102 to H9 into Beaverton. Lunch in Beaverton, and across Simcoe, all the way down to the bottom of Cook's Bay past Keswick to Georgina Trail Rider's 721, and east onto B103 and then to Fenelon Falls and home onto Sturgeon Lake. Fantastic loop!  I'm stealing years of trail experience, crammed into 1 fantastic winter.

We are definitely blessed this year. Can go anywhere and make up some great new loops. Good company and good times. We really should take more pictures. Coolest thing I saw was a Ford F250 with tracks and skis hauling fish huts off Simcoe. They have to have them all off by Saturday. Pissing them off since there is so much ice left and money to be made...

Would be quite a sight I'll bet on Saturday watching huts flying off the lake.

Went for a quick ride from Pt Sydney to Baysville and back this aft, trails were mint for +3 , flat all the way there and back . Mary lake rocked ,Roads are toast big time , cold coming on sat night so we might trailer up to info center in emsdale and ride kearney area for the day , seeing the end coming soon without new snow to get the roads rideable 

Went for a quick ride from Pt Sydney to Baysville and back this aft, trails were mint for +3 , flat all the way there and back . Mary lake rocked ,Roads are toast big time , cold coming on sat night so we might trailer up to info center in emsdale and ride kearney area for the day , seeing the end coming soon without new snow to get the roads rideable 

Hope for some snow tonight. Im heading to North bay from sprucedale sunday. Snowing in North bay now hope any moisture in Muskoka is snow tonight. Be new sliders on early next season now. :puke:

No end in sight here, we got about 4 inches in the last 2 days.

Raining in Carnarvon right now. 10:43pm

Went for a run on the C trail tonight from Phelpston up to Maple Valley bar near Penetang. The rail trail is getting thin. Conditions were good for the temps we had. Met the Groomer in Wyvale on the way back.

RR

Rode 90 km last night after work,club echo trails that is,our trails were all groomed perfectly in mid week but we received 8" of new snow in the last cpl days and a bit windy so groomers arent going out until the wind dies,grooming tonight,6000 km so far,snow is insane,10ft snowbanks is very common

Rode 90 km last night after work,club echo trails that is,our trails were all groomed perfectly in mid week but we received 8" of new snow in the last cpl days and a bit windy so groomers arent going out until the wind dies,grooming tonight,6000 km so far,snow is insane,10ft snowbanks is very common

Hope you guys have it all groomed up by Sunday as were on tour starting then, will be through Sunday/Monday.

Kaz

Rode 150 miles yesterday in D8.  All trails were freshly groomed Thursday night and in SUPREME condition.  Rode through Orillia, Barrie, Phelpston, Waubashene, Penetang, Wyevale and Midland over to Maple Valley for lunch.  No roads mainly bush trails, rail lines and groomed ditches.  Thanks to the whole darn District for an awesome year.!!

Yesterday (after Nunz had a couple of cigarettes) we headed out from Gull Lake in Gravenhurst to check out Lakes Muskoka and Rosseau. I expected a bit of road rash on the Jones Road going up D trail, but I forgot about the need to run on pavement from the end of Trail 16 at the Taboo golf course clubhouse, across their parking lot and driveway to the edge of the lake. Pure sand on dry pavement for a couple of hundred yards. That's when I realized we should have started from the parking lot at the Wharf on the south end of Gravenhurst Bay.

Riding on Lake Muskoka was almost too dry, but not quite. Very hard snow, with minimal bumps, encouraged excellent speeds all the way up to Scarcliffe Bay, where we crossed onto Brandy Lake and then Arthurlie Bay at the bottom of Lake Rosseau. There was a 200 metre connecting stretch that involved considerable road sand. What can you do this time of year?

Rosseau was just as good as Muskoka, and we made such good time that we found ourselves at the top of the lake in minutes. Cruising speed was 90 mph, with occasional faster bursts to blow out the carbon. We stopped in at the ice cave on North Bohemia Island, then proceeded over to the big Marriott, where Nunz circled around on his sled to try and get his wife's attention. We sledded down the west side past Cleveland's House, and back to Lake Muskoka and down to Gravenhurst. We stopped on each lake to ask fishermen about ice thickness. A little over two feet was reported in each instance.

We exited the lake at Muskoka Wharf, and called a taxi to take us up to Gull Lake to retrieve the tow vehicles.

At this point I went home to change into civilian clothes, in preparation for our audience with the eminent and wise Slow Touring Guy. We drove out to Summerland Store by car to keep things simple. STG was not as frightening as some have led us to believe. Granted, it was broad daylight, but we found an extremely pleasant fellow with a friendly black lab and a really nice wife. No evidence of sheep or any other barnyard animals. We had a great chat for an hour or so at the table by the wood stove, but then it was time to go. On the way out we bumped into Domino, which confirmed my suspicion that Summerland may be the hidden headquarters for the OC Forum.

Purple dots = good running

Red dots = road rash

Black dots = road to Summerland

click to enlarge

post-22473-0-37985100-1394890049_thumb.jpg

too cold today -25 this morning so called the boys and said I was staying home

• 2 weeks later...

Rode  200 + km loop today Palmerston, Hanover , Tara. Mildmay some groomed last night, fresh powder  only regret should have got out earlier.

Rode from Orillia Saturday/Sunday. 8 inches of fresh snow for Saturday morning. Ended up spending 2 hours running a snowblower before I could get a ride in. Looped up the B and down to Brechin and back to cottage on fresh snow Saturday. Rode the fresh groomed railbed to Midland Sunday. Didn't want to hit road runs so doubled back to go home since its a new trail when you run it backwards anyways....lol

Lakes are fantastic.

Went for a bit of a ride in my "back yard" yesterday.

The Inverhuron Provincial Park is directly behind where we live and we often will go for a ride in the park.

Still lots of snow in the park but they have plowed some of the park roads to do work on expanding camp sites and so on.

Snow is very hard but with some fresh stuff on top, it made for a nice ride.

Enjoy!

Archived