Where did you ride today

volunteer2

Rode the fresh groomed railbed to Midland Sunday. 

Yep, most of that area had grooming Friday. Groomer was out again Sunday night on C trail from Midland. With Sunday's relatively frigid temps, should be a great base.

New snow Saturday caught many off guard. It's SO DIFFERENT from the GTA. Snow, snow and more snow. 

x2 on the lakes. Fresh snow made lakes easier to traverse.

Rode Balm Beach-Midland-Colwater-Lake Couch-Orillia-400 series north of Barrie-Elmvale-and back. Great loop. 175 kms.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday I started in Barrie, lone Wolf today (Hooters location) and rode the Lake all the way up to Oro Medonte Line 14 (Carthew Bay)  Loads of fresh snow on the lake, no snowmobiles in sight. 

Stopped in at Shaws Pancake House for a few minutes.  Proceeded to get on the rail line trail B112B and ride into Orillia - getting gas at the Canadian Tire Gas bar.  Headed onto Lake Couch and then headed towards the Rama area, trail B for some nice quiet riding!  Was an excellent day Saturday... lots of fresh snow!

Rode yesterday from Iron Mine landfill near Minden up around Haliburton Lake area and conditions were excellent with very little road running. Looks like they had about 8-12" of fresh snow last week and we really didn't see any bad trails.

Met up with ravinerat and his buddy Chad in Orillia this morning (they had come up the lake from Barrie). We took the Uhthoff Rail Line (very good shape) then went up B105C and 17 past Swift Rapids (bumpy trails with good lake runs).

post-22473-0-46248100-1395698246_thumb.jpg

We turned east on C101D (fairly good), until we jumped on Pine Lake and then Lake Muskoka to Boston Pizza at Gravenhurst Wharf.

post-22473-0-64400800-1395698281_thumb.jpg

We enjoyed a tasty lunch and then we shuttled their two sleds to Muldrew Lake with my truck. The last I saw of my riding partners, they were headed south down 15 toward 204, Couchiching, and back to Barrie.

It was a lovely short day for me, and a longer one for them. The lake running was perfect.

post-22473-0-49880500-1395698880_thumb.jpg

Started at Beech River and took the B to E to 10 to B to 11 into Hali Forest. Stopped for some refreshments then continued across Kennisis to 62 to Redpine to Clear to Hawk back to the B and home. Nice 100 km loop. Sunny, minus 8 and not a bad trail the entire loop. It doesn't get much better than this. Some of the best trail conditions of the whole season. Tomorrow looks to be good too and as long as we don't get much rain tomorrow night or Friday then this could be a good weekend also.

Went out to the middle of Lake Muskoka to wait for my buddy Timmie this morning.

post-22473-0-88107500-1395870864_thumb.jpg

He showed up right on time.

post-22473-0-40213000-1395870888_thumb.jpg

We had a perfect 130 km run into some of the bays of Lakes Muskoka and Rosseau, and finished with a nice lunch at the Gravenhurst Wharf.

Conditions were perfect. I wonder how long it will last?

post-22473-0-14418000-1395870458_thumb.jpg

Rode to work this morning on a freshly groomed Seguin

IMG_20140326_095547_zps8747bb2b.jpg

Then it was such a nice day I left and rode the lake trails (Georgian Bay, Canoe, Spider, Port Rawson, Woods Bay) down to Wood's Bay then inland to Crane Lake and back up a different set of lakes to the Seguin..and home. A nice 110km loop on a beautiful sunny Wednesday!!

Sounds like an amazing run..I love stringing together lakes.

The whole extended ride was a result of me taking the wrong portage off one of the lakes...so I just kept going until I got to a lake I recognized. About half way in I realized I didn't have cell service which made me a touch uneasy...but I wasn't far from civilization as it turns out lol.

Getting 4" of snow and a bit of wind really erases the tracks on the lakes quick. Some of those portages where tough to see.

Heading to Cloyne to do the Bon Echo Park loop in the morning, most likely our last ride of the year.

If all goes well I'll pass the 2000 mile mark  for the year.

Left long beach up E108,to Fenelon Falls,B103,E108 over to Twin Mountains to TM 495,509 to Paudash Trails.Back on E108,608,606 to Wilberforce for gas and lunch. Ran 605 to. E trail,E107 to Apsley,503,503A to Anstruther Lake,Gold Lake,Cold Lake,Mississaugua Lake,E211,back on E108,470,460.Cut some time off and ran Bass Lake to E108 again,B103,E108,to Fenelon,then home. Sure can put some miles on in a short time when riding by yourself. 167 Miles,(268 Kms) and the only trail that was a little bumpy was the 608,all others were awesome. Saw the Paudash groomer and Two Kawartha Lakes groomers,one going north the other going south on the rail trail.Thanks to all the clubs for the great trails.

Was out for a couple of hours in Mattawa area. Had a great time on fresh groomed trails and a bright sunny day. Pics to follow.

Just met Nunz in parking lot. Sledjunk should be here soon.

Hoping for a great day tomorrow.

We did 150 miles around Bon Echo Park on Thursday, I must say the trails were fantastic, couldn't ask for better conditions,  maybe a 1/4 mile of road running in all and only a few bare spots.

The people who look after the Mazinaw Powerline trails deserve a ton of credit. They do a great job and thanks for the effort out there.

Sleds in the garage ready to get a good cleaning and some service.

My first year on the 07 GSX, 2035 miles and not a hitch. Oil & gas and a trouble free season.

What more can a guy ask for.

I had some great rides the past week. The trails have been in really good shape. It's sad that the weather is going for a dump this weekend & the trails (and road running) will probably be toast by the middle of next week.

had a great ride yesterday,,,

2014LastRun_zps6b2b0a4e.jpg

IMG_20140327_172852_812_zpsznvurt6h.jpg

IMG_20140327_171546_304_zpsoqgnzipx.jpg

IMG_20140327_162114_736_zps4txlqjle.jpg

IMG_20140327_161813_646_zpsstmuvld0.jpg

three amigos,,,

IMG_20140327_133313_216_zps5a5etlbf.jpg

IMG_20140327_133256_815_zpsgojnuiex.jpg

IMG_20140327_130444_048_zpsy2ltqex7.jpg

IMG_20140327_120434_583_zpsrymczoyj.jpg

IMG_20140327_111836_760_zpsilguoxoc.jpg

Four of us left at 8am this morning, the cat 800 was overheating and he turned back after about 10km. We left Coniston headed south on C, to C106 and into Noelville for food, all trails were awesome, continued on c106 to d103 trails were still perfect, D103 north of FR703 was bumpy all the way to the lakem, ungroomed one track, Nip is perfect as is D103 north of Lavigne all the way to D104 which was a dream, headed up D104 and onto the railbed(D), followed D back into Coniston. Railbed needs to see the groomer. There is a tomn of snow on all trails, roads still good, and more snow north of 17 than south. All in all a perfect day, 310 km's, lots of stops for snacks for my daughter to keep her happy over the long ride. The 1992 Jag once again was flawless.

012_zpsf3e7cd9c.jpg010_zpsd12e1bba.jpg009_zpscfc3a2e9.jpg

Well, technically today is laundry day, but YESTERDAY I rode the A between Kap and Moonbeam, plus the L129 (south of Moonbeam), the L119, L125 and L135. The only bad part was watching the loader at Damco Fuels in Moonbeam scrape away the rest of the snow around the pumps.

post-23640-0-28554700-1396203478_thumb.jpg

post-23640-0-02681900-1396203480_thumb.jpg

post-23640-0-60610500-1396203482_thumb.jpg

post-23640-0-63616900-1396203484_thumb.jpg

post-23640-0-48102300-1396203486_thumb.jpg

post-23640-0-07445600-1396203488_thumb.jpg

Arrived in Mattawa Wednesday night and met Iangj and his friend, and Nunz and his wife.

Thursday morning we headed out on A112A toward Bonfield for a short run as iangj had an appointment in Mattawa at 1:00, so we had to be back for that.  A112A was in mint condition.  Once we got to about half way in time, we decided to turn around and head back.  Nunz had asked about the Mica Mine, so when we turned around, I mentioned that we had passed it.  I lead the way back and we stopped at the mine and went in for a little exploring, then headed back to Mattawa for iangj's meeting.

After the meeting, we stopped at Myrt's for lunch, then headed across A112A to the A trail toward Deux Rivieres.  As we were riding A112A, we caught what we thought was a groomer.  It surprised us that it was, in fact, a drag being pulled by a pickup truck!  It was strange, but it was a groomed trail, so who cares, right?  Before we got to pass him, the groomer turned off toward Bonfield.  Once we got to the point where the Mattawa Club and Missing Link meet near Deux Rivieres, we decided that, as fuel was getting low and the time was getting a little late, we should turn around and we headed back.  Again, the trails were excellent!

Friday morning, we awoke to about and inch or so of fresh snow and a very light rain, but we decided to at least start a loop to Dinner Bell for lunch and see what the weather would do.  We followed the A trail to the point where the pickup truck / groomer turned around at a small cabin, and the trail became very narrow.  After a short way, we realized that this was not the right trail and turned back to see where we went wrong.  When we got back to the cabin, Iangj's sled was starting to make some noises, so he decided to head back to the hotel.

Nunz, his wife, and I continued to back track to where we had missed a turn in the A trail.  It turned out that the pickup / groomer, had actually built a significant snowbank that blocked the view of the trail signs set back on the trees.  We climbed over the bank and the rest of the trail was perfect!  We stopped near Bonfield for a break..  By this point, the rain had changed to snow, but we were already pretty well soaked through.  We headed to Astorville for fuel and then on to the Dinner Bell for an excellent lunch and warm up.  By the time we left, the snow / rain had stopped and the sky was brightening.  The trails back were the same stellar condition as the other trails had been!

When we returned to the motel, we helped them load then Nunz and his wife changed and headed home.as they both had work on Saturday.  Iangj and his friend had already loaded their sleds and were heading out in the morning.

Saturday morning, I decided that I was not ready to head back and as the high was to be 0, I figured I would head out solo.  I started out and figured that I would see if I could do Deep River and return.  This turned out to be a great ride, except for a tree across the trail that had fallen near the end of the Mattawa club trail.  I pulled out my trusty chain saw and cut enough of the branches away so that at least part of the trail was open.  The rest of the day was awesome!!  Mint trails to Deep River and return and a great Bison Burger at the Bear's Den in Deep River.

All in all, a stellar weekend on the trails!  It was great to see Nunz and his wife again an to meet iangj and his friend.  As it turned out, Iangj and I had a couple of other hobbies in common.  We are both Ham Radio Operators and are involved in Rallying.  It was great to chat about those as well.

Pics will come later.

Way to go, sledjunk !

I've ridden with Ian, Nunz and Karen - - good people for sure.

No comments about your shoulder, so you must be back into Superman condition once again ! !

It still hurts some, usually when I wake up or try to lift nything.  Still do not have much strength in my right arm, but I am not missing any more sledding.

Rode both sleds from the old apartment to the new place, interesting ride with a sleigh behind each sled, one with a bbq and a coupla ATV tires in it .... nothing tied down ... silly me !

It still hurts some, usually when I wake up or try to lift nything. Still do not have much strength in my right arm, but I am not missing any more sledding.

Get some elastic bands and tie one end to fix object and stretch out your bad shoulder. Just enough tension to work them out! I hurt my rotarcuff about three years ago. Took me 2 years to get back to full strength. I went to pysio for 52 weeks. I would highly recommend pysio. If it doesn't heal properly you will be worse off later. Good luck.

Arrived in Mattawa Wednesday night and met Iangj and his friend, and Nunz and his wife.

Thursday morning we headed out on A112A toward Bonfield for a short run as iangj had an appointment in Mattawa at 1:00, so we had to be back for that.  A112A was in mint condition.  Once we got to about half way in time, we decided to turn around and head back.  Nunz had asked about the Mica Mine, so when we turned around, I mentioned that we had passed it.  I lead the way back and we stopped at the mine and went in for a little exploring, then headed back to Mattawa for iangj's meeting.

After the meeting, we stopped at Myrt's for lunch, then headed across A112A to the A trail toward Deux Rivieres.  As we were riding A112A, we caught what we thought was a groomer.  It surprised us that it was, in fact, a drag being pulled by a pickup truck!  It was strange, but it was a groomed trail, so who cares, right?  Before we got to pass him, the groomer turned off toward Bonfield.  Once we got to the point where the Mattawa Club and Missing Link meet near Deux Rivieres, we decided that, as fuel was getting low and the time was getting a little late, we should turn around and we headed back.  Again, the trails were excellent!

Friday morning, we awoke to about and inch or so of fresh snow and a very light rain, but we decided to at least start a loop to Dinner Bell for lunch and see what the weather would do.  We followed the A trail to the point where the pickup truck / groomer turned around at a small cabin, and the trail became very narrow.  After a short way, we realized that this was not the right trail and turned back to see where we went wrong.  When we got back to the cabin, Iangj's sled was starting to make some noises, so he decided to head back to the hotel.

Nunz, his wife, and I continued to back track to where we had missed a turn in the A trail.  It turned out that the pickup / groomer, had actually built a significant snowbank that blocked the view of the trail signs set back on the trees.  We climbed over the bank and the rest of the trail was perfect!  We stopped near Bonfield for a break..  By this point, the rain had changed to snow, but we were already pretty well soaked through.  We headed to Astorville for fuel and then on to the Dinner Bell for an excellent lunch and warm up.  By the time we left, the snow / rain had stopped and the sky was brightening.  The trails back were the same stellar condition as the other trails had been!

When we returned to the motel, we helped them load then Nunz and his wife changed and headed home.as they both had work on Saturday.  Iangj and his friend had already loaded their sleds and were heading out in the morning.

Saturday morning, I decided that I was not ready to head back and as the high was to be 0, I figured I would head out solo.  I started out and figured that I would see if I could do Deep River and return.  This turned out to be a great ride, except for a tree across the trail that had fallen near the end of the Mattawa club trail.  I pulled out my trusty chain saw and cut enough of the branches away so that at least part of the trail was open.  The rest of the day was awesome!!  Mint trails to Deep River and return and a great Bison Burger at the Bear's Den in Deep River.

All in all, a stellar weekend on the trails!  It was great to see Nunz and his wife again an to meet iangj and his friend.  As it turned out, Iangj and I had a couple of other hobbies in common.  We are both Ham Radio Operators and are involved in Rallying.  It was great to chat about those as well.

Pics will come later.

It was a great couple of days with all of you!! Seeing the lynx on the trail Thursday was one of the highlights of my season!!! As well as the Mica Mines...We have parked them for the season, Just under 5000 miles for the year, It's time for some summer fun and start thinking about our rides for next year.. Thanks again..

Saturday, I headed up to Mattawa and did a big loop to North Bay and back. All the trails were smooth and snow was plentiful.  Too bad Mattawa doesn't have more trails (loops) in their area, else I would have stayed another day...I didn't feel like doing the same loop 2 days in a row.  Drove back down to Rolphton and stayed at the motel there.  Sunday, rode the Missing Link trails and was reminded how great the trails are with the varying terrain...almost made the A trail near Mattawa seem boring.

Archived