Where did you ride today

volunteer2

Left Port sydney, down D trail to Bracebridge yamaha for the yamaha power tour.....we demo'd the new viper along with an apex with power steering. Ate some free burgers and had a great time yakking with everyone there, nice turnout, nice work BB Yammie!

We left there and headed up to trail 32 taking us out onto Lake Muskoka.  We ran across the top of lake muskoka(my first time) over to the northwest corner, snowing hard so no tracks to follow, and by the time we got to other side, the snowpack on the lake was well over 3 feet of powder, had to keep on throttle to keep the sled running ontop of this powder..wow!

we jumped off Muskoka, up a trail,driveway and short rd which dumped us down onto Brandy Lake next to port carling.   After playing around on Brandy lake in 3 ft powder, we ran up c102d to 33, over to 3 mile lake, and stopped in to Northland Rec skidoo.

After that we headed over for dinner at Jimmy Hatz on hwy 141.  The trail here has moved, where 33 used to cross hwy 141 you would ride right onto Jimmy Hatz tavern, but now you must run 141 northward about 1km to the restaurant.  We did find the old trail after a long talk with owner so we now know the way there without the road run, but it was short and lots snow.  I have to add, the food at Jimmy Hatz is incredible!  Talk about HUGE portions!

Headed back to Mary lake after dinner via 33/37 and D trails...  nice mellow local day of 175kms.  Map Below.

Dan

How are you liking your Doo RD? I knew you were with Yamaha for years, and I believe one year on a Cat so I am curious if you would ever come back to Yamaha?

I am currently considering a 1200 or 900 Ace Doo with R-Motion, but have yet to demo either one.

(P.S. thanks for all your tips/info/help at TY. They have come in handy. :cheers: )

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a local poker run with the wife and son, about 100 km's in all.  Beautiful day that started out with -31 celsius ended up at around -12.  Got a pair of queens, chatted with a coupla friends at the get-together after the run.  Turned out a good day considering my stomach is still sore from the flu I got on Thursday, still sore every time I sit on the sled.  The pain seems to go away at about 60 km/h ....

How are you liking your Doo RD? I knew you were with Yamaha for years, and I believe one year on a Cat so I am curious if you would ever come back to Yamaha?

I am currently considering a 1200 or 900 Ace Doo with R-Motion, but have yet to demo either one.

(P.S. thanks for all your tips/info/help at TY. They have come in handy. :cheers: )

Dont want to hyjack this thread too much....

Love the new DOO, Rmotion is best ever rode,seat best ever rode,lightest ever rode,handles best ever rode.  That says alot after 40 yrs of riding alot of brands and types.  Only thing is i dont like the smell being back on 2 stroke, or burning oil in general, MPG are incredible though for 160HP motor(17-19mpg us gal. running fairly hard)

None of us liked the Vipers at demo ride(heavy,darting,cumbersome,wide tank cannot get up close, and apex felt like i went back to 1970 seating position.

The 1200 doo is nice, but everyone is raving about the new 900 ace, light 4 stroke handles incredible, 97hp is decent for most people on trails(close to a 600 etec for power) and gets 23+mpg all day long!   

Watch for a new 2015 1200 replacement, maybe even a new 900ACE HO???   I will be back on a 4 stroke within 2 seasons for longevity and peace of mind.  But it will not be another yammie unfortunately they are now built by cat I wont touch one.  Will be a doo 4 stroke in future with Rmotion.

Good luck with new sled choice!  It wont be long til we see the new iron!

Release / Launch dates for 2015 snowmobiles:

2015 Yamaha Snowmobile – February 11, 2014

2015 Arctic Cat Snowmobile – February 19, 2014

2015 Polaris Snowmobile – March 2, 2014

2015 Ski-Doo Snowmobile – March 4, 2014

Rode Huntsville towards Magnetawan today, then back to the den in Huntsville, all trails were A+

Short ride around local trails with the wife and helped a Buffalo NY group get a stuck sled out of the rhubarb.  Do you think the guy would check that one of them had a tow rope before going 50 feet off trail with an Apex in four feet of snow?  Finally got to try the Snobunje and two sets of tow straps, worked great.

Love the new DOO, Rmotion is best ever rode,seat best ever rode,lightest ever rode,handles best ever rode.  That says alot after 40 yrs of riding alot of brands and types.  Only thing is i dont like the smell being back on 2 stroke, or burning oil in general, MPG are incredible though for 160HP motor(17-19mpg us gal. running fairly hard)

None of us liked the Vipers at demo ride(heavy,darting,cumbersome,wide tank cannot get up close, and apex felt like i went back to 1970 seating position.

The 1200 doo is nice, but everyone is raving about the new 900 ace, light 4 stroke handles incredible, 97hp is decent for most people on trails(close to a 600 etec for power) and gets 23+mpg all day long!   

Watch for a new 2015 1200 replacement, maybe even a new 900ACE HO???   I will be back on a 4 stroke within 2 seasons for longevity and peace of mind.  But it will not be another yammie unfortunately they are now built by cat I wont touch one.  Will be a doo 4 stroke in future with Rmotion.

Hey Dan

My real Name is Steve and i,ve e -mailed you a couple of times when you were on Totallyamaha.

I had an 2006 Apex and came over to Mary Lake one year for radar run,s but they got cancelled because of weather.

I,ve also met Dano once at a Yamaha  invite when they brought out power steering (tell him i,m the guy that tipped over the Vector lol)

Anyways i respect your opinion but i thought i would chime in a little bit on the Viper. I bought the wife an Viper LTX that is the long track with coil over shocks and once set - up it is a nice sled. I also have a 2012 Arctic Cat turbo (which i know you loved lol) so i can give anyone a pretty good comparison. The only reason i bought the Viper was i got a good trade in from my dealer on my Nytro. I know you had the turbo Sno-pro but i have an LXR which i re-valved the shocks and put on Dual - Rate springs running Pilot Skis. The Viper i put on Curve xs Skis.

Between the two sleds the only reason i ride the Turbo is because i,m riding with the wife. I don,t know if you were riding a short track Viper or a long track but if it felt heavy or was darting it wasn,t set - up right which isn,t unusual as you know with demo sleds. The Viper works really well with Curve xs skis.   The longer track really balances the sled out (I should also add i put an Ice Attak Xt on the sled works great) and the seating position and seat is a lot nicer. The only thing i would miss from the Turbo is the power on the Lakes.

Any ways that is my two cents and i agree with you totally about  the Cat they should be embarrassed on the quality control.

I,m watching Ski - Doo real close and if they come with some kind of Hyper Powered Ace that will probably be my next sled. I rode their 1200 and is a really nice sled. They are also the best when it comes to accessories.

Enjoy the season and i,m sure one day we will run in to each other.  

Hey Dan

My real Name is Steve and i,ve e -mailed you a couple of times when you were on Totallyamaha.

I had an 2006 Apex and came over to Mary Lake one year for radar run,s but they got cancelled because of weather.

I,ve also met Dano once at a Yamaha  invite when they brought out power steering (tell him i,m the guy that tipped over the Vector lol)

Anyways i respect your opinion but i thought i would chime in a little bit on the Viper. I bought the wife an Viper LTX that is the long track with coil over shocks and once set - up it is a nice sled. I also have a 2012 Arctic Cat turbo (which i know you loved lol) so i can give anyone a pretty good comparison. The only reason i bought the Viper was i got a good trade in from my dealer on my Nytro. I know you had the turbo Sno-pro but i have an LXR which i re-valved the shocks and put on Dual - Rate springs running Pilot Skis. The Viper i put on Curve xs Skis.

Between the two sleds the only reason i ride the Turbo is because i,m riding with the wife. I don,t know if you were riding a short track Viper or a long track but if it felt heavy or was darting it wasn,t set - up right which isn,t unusual as you know with demo sleds. The Viper works really well with Curve xs skis.   The longer track really balances the sled out (I should also add i put an Ice Attak Xt on the sled works great) and the seating position and seat is a lot nicer. The only thing i would miss from the Turbo is the power on the Lakes.

Any ways that is my two cents and i agree with you totally about  the Cat they should be embarrassed on the quality control.

I,m watching Ski - Doo real close and if they come with some kind of Hyper Powered Ace that will probably be my next sled. I rode their 1200 and is a really nice sled. They are also the best when it comes to accessories.

Enjoy the season and i,m sure one day we will run in to each other.  

Totally agree....the stock cat/viper skis are just poor.  I ran pilots on my cat turbo and they were fantastic.  The viper i demo'd was a ltx(137")   

The difference between the etec with Rmotion(lightweight) and the cat chassie/viper is alot IMO.   The rider forward seat position of the new XS chassis puts your knee nearly ontop of the rear of the skis, and your left foot is next to the driveshaft/brake rotor....sit on any other brand and you are nowhere near as forward as the doo, this is why you can ride these harder and faster in the twisties then any other sled IMO(rode them all over the last few seasons)  and when this far forward, the ingenious design of where the seat comes to the tank, has that cutout where you have tons of room to hang off the side, with the cat/viper the only way to get upfront close and aggressive is if you can do the splits, very hard....and even if you get that far forward, you still are not over the driveshaft.  Just not nearly as aggressive as you can get on doo. 

The extra 40-60lbs directly on the front of the sled over the etec 800 is what makes all the difference.   Im not a huge 2 stroke fan, but these etecs are so light, and get better MPG(although they use oil) which directly aids in handling.  top that off with rmotion that is leaps and bounds ahead of the cat skid and its no wonder doo outsells all other brands.   Im not brand loyal but I do want to ride the best overal riding sled for me, and when you ride them back to back, nothing even close to the fun factor of these ultra light etecs.   I ride like im 18 again, and am not tired anymore at end of the day.  I was worried about going back to 160hp after having a cat turbo with TD 4 stage running 240+hp, but this 800 pulls like a freight train and on the trails has plenty of arm stretching power....after 8 yrs on apex and cat turbo, this season has been the most fun ever, just gas and go, no wrenching so far.  With my cat i rode very little and wrenched daily. lol

Dan

Went through the Ganaraska Forest for the first time and up to Rice Lake. Very enjoyable, trails were pretty much perfect and the 'One Way' trails in the forest were a new experience for me, great idea. Only bad part of the day was lunch at The Old Railroad Stop restaurant. Got ignored for 15 minutes so got our own menus, took 45 minutes to get food even though the place was half full and we watched people get their food who had walked in well after us. Won't be going back there.  

Totally agree....the stock cat/viper skis are just poor.  I ran pilots on my cat turbo and they were fantastic.  The viper i demo'd was a ltx(137")   

The difference between the etec with Rmotion(lightweight) and the cat chassie/viper is alot IMO.   The rider forward seat position of the new XS chassis puts your knee nearly ontop of the rear of the skis, and your left foot is next to the driveshaft/brake rotor....sit on any other brand and you are nowhere near as forward as the doo, this is why you can ride these harder and faster in the twisties then any other sled IMO(rode them all over the last few seasons)  and when this far forward, the ingenious design of where the seat comes to the tank, has that cutout where you have tons of room to hang off the side, with the cat/viper the only way to get upfront close and aggressive is if you can do the splits, very hard....and even if you get that far forward, you still are not over the driveshaft.  Just not nearly as aggressive as you can get on doo. 

The extra 40-60lbs directly on the front of the sled over the etec 800 is what makes all the difference.   Im not a huge 2 stroke fan, but these etecs are so light, and get better MPG(although they use oil) which directly aids in handling.  top that off with rmotion that is leaps and bounds ahead of the cat skid and its no wonder doo outsells all other brands.   Im not brand loyal but I do want to ride the best overal riding sled for me, and when you ride them back to back, nothing even close to the fun factor of these ultra light etecs.   I ride like im 18 again, and am not tired anymore at end of the day.  I was worried about going back to 160hp after having a cat turbo with TD 4 stage running 240+hp, but this 800 pulls like a freight train and on the trails has plenty of arm stretching power....after 8 yrs on apex and cat turbo, this season has been the most fun ever, just gas and go, no wrenching so far.  With my cat i rode very little and wrenched daily. lol

Dan

I hear you. You ride the same trails and lakes as  i do i just don,t know if i can go back to a two - stroke. That is why i would love to see an hyper/ace sled.

I,ve got to try and see if i get get on a demo ride somewhere. There is no more Ski -Doo dealers left in Dorset/Dwight.

I friend of mine has a 800 Rush and i know he is going back to Ski -Doo next year.     Oh,Oh (lol)

Went through the Ganaraska Forest for the first time and up to Rice Lake. Very enjoyable, trails were pretty much perfect and the 'One Way' trails in the forest were a new experience for me, great idea. Only bad part of the day was lunch at The Old Railroad Stop restaurant. Got ignored for 15 minutes so got our own menus, took 45 minutes to get food even though the place was half full and we watched people get their food who had walked in well after us. Won't be going back there.  

They look after the Ganny trails and the one ways take a lot of stress off me not worrying if someone on a new sled is coming at you on the wrong side of trail....Thanks for the restaurant review....

viper looks ok,still like to try one for hr at demo

Ran from Rice Lake to Stoney Lake and came back through Havelock (for lunch) through Campbellford and Hastings and back to Rice Lake.  1 tank of gas = 220 km

Heading up from Rice Lake to Mattawa for a 4 day ride tomorrow.

In Creemore on Saturday. Trails were groomed to perfection

Great parking at the arena, just ask at the Shell station coming into town from the east (great coffee and snacks).
The arena is also full service with washrooms and is about 2-3 easy blocks from the trail, B111.

If you go... start early, the trails were getting busy just after noon, we were just finishing and had an outstanding lunch at the Pub in Creemore

9 guys left from Gibson lake just  north of 6 mile lake to parry sound...took the seuin  and up the B101..its a fantasic trail...up to magnetawan for lunch...took the 711 trail back down to the sequin and back through go home lake..300 km and it was an awesome ride....we has 2 Blade sleds leading..

rockerdan, how did u find out about the lake muskoka shortcut to port carling. i live close by . you must have been with someone local. just curious

rockerdan, how did u find out about the lake muskoka shortcut to port carling. i live close by . you must have been with someone local. just curious

A well known member here gave me the rundown...;)

Dan

Welcome to the forum DOM

A little bit on C today with my 4 year old priceless 

Cool !

Up the B from Beech River. Lots of lumps and bumps until........Tall Pines 64. Then unreal! Groomed last night and set into carpet smooth trail . Put first tracks all the way to 62. Looped home and got the boss and headed up to Dorset via B, 64 and D101B. Perfect ride on the Tall Pines trails. Back via D101b, 63, 68, 64, 62. All in great shape but snow is starting to get a bit thin in a few areas. Then bounced our way along the B home. Great day, 160 km total.

Up the B from Beech River. Lots of lumps and bumps until........Tall Pines 64. Then unreal! Groomed last night and set into carpet smooth trail . Put first tracks all the way to 62. Looped home and got the boss and headed up to Dorset via B, 64 and D101B. Perfect ride on the Tall Pines trails. Back via D101b, 63, 68, 64, 62. All in great shape but snow is starting to get a bit thin in a few areas. Then bounced our way along the B home. Great day, 160 km total.

Awesome! 64, 68, and 62 are all amazing trails! Snow on D101B is getting thin! Starting the hear the ski's Love on rocks every now and then

Yesterday (Wed) rode from the garage to Elmira, Linwood, Milverton, Listowell, Palmerston, Teviotdale, Arthur, Alma, and the garage.   Left 9:30 and home 4:30  136 miles ....oh and 10 more miles at night to club meeting.

Just got back last night from our big trip and I'm heading back out today with Blake and a friend, going to run the 80 series trails around Huntsville .. May as well ride while we can.. I've got 2500 miles on the new sled already and I've only had it just over a month..

Archived