Where did you ride today

volunteer2

I stuck close to the cottage and rode mostly the DYW 80's trails, and a bit of the D. Awesome conditions, saw only 2 other sleds.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I trucked to Rickward's in Kearney this afternoon, unloaded the sled, and poked around for about three hours. It was a beautiful sunny spring day.

The trails were 8 out of 10, plus 1 for being able to ride in shirtsleeves and jeans.

Had a burger at Edgewater Park Lodge on Sand Lake. The food was excellent.

post-22473-0-45460500-1396298544_thumb.jpg

post-22473-0-49365600-1396298615_thumb.jpg

Dropped my sled at a friends place on Muskoka this Morning.  Went for a beautiful 1 hr. ride up towards port Carling, past Campbell's and down Gravenhurst Bay into the wharf.  Little slush here and there, but otherwise Great riding.

I trucked to Rickward's in Kearney this afternoon, unloaded the sled, and poked around for about three hours. It was a beautiful sunny spring day.

The trails were 8 out of 10, plus 1 for being able to ride in shirtsleeves and jeans.

attachicon.gif20140331_121452.jpg

attachicon.gif20140331_121417.jpg

Blake, don't know if you are aware but many of the 8/10 (+ 1 for weather) trails you may have rode today are closed.  You were trespassing.  

Do you think the trails conditions you expereinced today warrant trail closure?

I don't.

I sense your frustration, but all the trails I rode today were and are still available. Green on the interactive guide. AL305, AL302, AL303.

I guess it just got more difficult to find open trails, though.

I sense your frustration, but all the trails I rode today were and are still available. Green on the interactive guide. AL305, AL302, AL303.

I guess it just got more difficult to find open trails, though.

Not trying to call you out in any way Blake.  My point is that those trails you were on today will likely be closed in the next day or so for little reason.

Glad you got out today.  It was beautiful.

WeBeSleddin, it kind ot reminds me of rushing around to get to the bar, and arriving just in time to miss last call.

You said Lake Muskoka was pretty good today. If you want to get on it again tomorrow morning, let me know. If it's not very slushy, I wouldn't mind getting out around 9 a.m., while things are still cool and before the rain that's predicted for tomorrow afternoon.

Actually, maybe trail riding out of Mactier would make more sense.....while those trails are still yellow on the interactive guide....assuming the lakes might still be ok after the trails all close.....

WeBeSleddin, it kind ot reminds me of rushing around to get to the bar, and arriving just in time to miss last call.

You said Lake Muskoka was pretty good today. If you want to get on it again tomorrow morning, let me know. If it's not very slushy, I wouldn't mind getting out around 9 a.m., while things are still cool and before the rain that's predicted for tomorrow afternoon.

LOL!  Couldn't agree more.

Would love to ride tomorrow morning Blake, but I'm back in the city unfortunately.  Left Toronto this Morning at 8am.  On the lake by 10:15, back in the car by 12:15, and at the office before 2:30.

Worth every minute of it.

Let us know where U go tomorrow.  Love the late season condition updates.

Since Im working up in North Bay this week I thought I would bring up my sled from the Big Smoke. Still lots of daylight after work and today was a beauty. Unloaded the sled near downtown NB and headed out on the lake. Took the lake trail south down to SSR 710 ( South Shore Restoule ) heading towards Powasson. Never know when you may have to stop at Gieslers. Branched off at the D 102 and headed west to Hunters Bay Marine and got back on the big lake followed the staked trail back towards Callander Bay. Heading back to North Bay did a sharp Malaysian Airlines type turn and headed out to the Manitou Islands. circled them and headed back to shore.

The conditions, warm temps and bright sunshine made for awesome riding. The trails are marked as limited and there are a few rocks showing and some icy patches but still lots of good lubrication and smooth. No overheating problems at all even in plus 10 temps. Watch the side of the trails because that heavy wet snow wants to suck you right in. You dont want to end up in the rhubarb. The big lake was great . Lots of snow. no slush, no glare ice. Best of all I was the only sled out there. Didn' t see one other sled in three hours of riding. Tomorrow is another day

Sounds awesome jedanr.

Make the best of the remaining opportunities - - I agree there's still a bit of fine sledding to be done, if you have the time, and it will be a lot of months between now and next winter.

Saturday, I headed up to Mattawa and did a big loop to North Bay and back. All the trails were smooth and snow was plentiful. Too bad Mattawa doesn't have more trails (loops) in their

area, else I would have stayed another day...I

didn't feel like doing the same loop 2 days in a

row. Drove back down to Rolphton and stayed

at the motel there. Sunday, rode the Missing

Link trails and was reminded how great the

trails are with the varying terrain...almost made

the A trail near Mattawa seem boring.

Missing link is a great area. They still have those crazy sesame street sings up? The a112a over to north bay is a great trail. Bonfield has some very scenic trails too, like 201. Nb has allot of scenic trails with no roads if you know where to go. Baker gave me some good advice last year and had a great time in the area. Part of the

pipe line before and after missing link is boring

too, especially near pettawa.

I'm glad you are still out riding Blake.  Great "selfie" video. 

Well thanks. Next stop is Hollywood.

Missing link is a great area. They still have those crazy sesame street sings up?

Why yes they do!

post-20724-0-01049400-1396317416_thumb.jpg

Riding report April 1st

As the forecast was calling for rain in North Bay I trucked down to Bonfield and unloaded at the Dinner Bell late yesterday afternoon. The only sled in the parking lot. Decided to do a loop to Mattawa and headed out the north side. BF 202 and NB 302 were in great condition. No problem crossing the small lake. Stay close to the stakes and you will avoid the slush. got on the A112A and headed towards Mattawa. Just couldnt keep the smile off my face the trail was just beautiful. The open sections through the hydro line were starting to show some wear and tear but the bush was just fantastic and smooth.

The smile soon came off my face in the approach to Mattawa. Once you get off the trail and on the road down to the river it wasn't pleasant. Managed to ride on a 45 angle along the snow bank but you really had to watch out for holes and dropoffs. Got down to the river and saw the stakes have been removed. A little water on top but no problems getting across. On the town side the trails are pretty much toast but I managed to get into Mr. Gas. The owner was surprised to see me. As it was already turning into early evening I didn't stop to eat, just continued on my way back on the A across the south side. The hydro trail going out out of town was a bare in a few spots and some ice here and there but more than passable. I got onto the main trail and again and I just couldnt believe what good condition it was still in. Lots of snow and smooth. Made it back to the Dinner Bell around 8:00 pm just when they were closing . I stopped in side and let them know I had returned as I advised them before I left where I was going and when I would be back. Good idea especially when you are riding by yourself. I didnt see one sled the entire time.

From what I saw yesterday the local trails are still in great condition and the temps for the rest of the week should hold them up. We really didn't get any significant rain and it is cold out today. The bush trails are your best bet because if we get a lot of sun the hydro/gasline trails will only get worse. The Mattawa loop will probably be toast by the weekend ( it really is now ) because of the in town conditions and approaches. Watch out for branches and trees on the trail. There was a lot of forest debris out there and I had to stop and move a few big branches. We dont often think about this as we travel down these trails in midwinter but the groomer guys clear out most of this stuff so the sledders are safe and dont have to worry about slamming into a log as they come around a corner. Wildlife is starting to come out more especially since sledder traffic is way down. I counted 5 deer, 2 partridges, 1 racoon, 1 chipmunk and one dead thing. All on the trail and mainly between the mica mine and Mattawa.

Think I may take a break today ( I'm a little bent ) and tomorrow truck up to Temagami for what will be the last ride of the season. 

Thanks for the report and let us know what happens in Temagami.

Final Run of the Season

I trucked my sled up to Temagami today from North Bay. Usually an hour drive but there is a lot of roadwork taking place near Marten River so it took about 11/2 hours. Started off from Northland Paradise Lodge right on and I mean right on the A trail. Spoke to the owner Doug the night before just to check on conditions as he is the local groomer guy. When I met Doug this morning he was making a brand new shovel handle down in his workshop from a birch branch that he cut out in the bush. Hanging up from the rafters were some nice furs; a wolf, two lynx, a marten and a fox. In the morgue he had some beaver pelts on the go. ( stainless steel tables and some unusual instruments) Well let me tell you Doug got on talking about trapping and I could hear the time a ticking. I had to politely interrupt so I could get moving on sledding. Doug helped me unload and told me to leave my key so he could come and get me in case of breakdown. That's service !!!

I headed out across Cassels Lake and on the A trail. There were no tracks and snow was drifitng over. With the flat light you really had to keep on eye open to make sure you were on the trail and not in the rhubarb. The trails winds through the bush and hydro lines for about 12 km before opening up onto a wide road which really had a nice rhythm to it. A few bumps here and there which can surprise you in the flat light. I didnt see a sledder until i crossed highway 11 at the south end of the lake by Latchford and he was just unloading. ( nice sled parking area )

Heading across the lake the stakes were still in but the snow was a little slushy if you ventured out too far. If your not familar with the area at the end of the staked lake trail just go past the little park and turn left at the first road, follow it to the end and turn left to get back on the trail. The signage is a poor and the town has plowed the snow banks back obstructing the normal path of the trail through town. Getting back on the main trail I couldnt believe how much better the conditions were and the first part of the trip was damn good. They had about three inches of new snow from Tuesday night and no tracks. The trail couldnt have been any better, smooth and lots of good lubrication. Took the A all the way to New Liskeard and was excellent all the way.  

In New Liskeard took the river down to the lake ( a little slush but still very good) Now the sun was out the temps had risen to abourt plus 3 or 4. I love lake running so I headed down Lake Temiskaming and down to Haileybury, thru the short local trail and back to the A. Stopped for fuel on the way back through Latchford and when I hit the south end of the lake and crossed 11 there were only my tracks from the morning.

Back at the lodge Doug gave me a hand to load up and we chatted some more. He caters  to everybody tree huggers and trappers alike. His motto is " If I can make money from it  I will come up with a tour for anybody". This guy is a one man band for his club and he does a great job at promoting the sport. Stop by and see him ( they sell fuel next door at the marina ) In fact Doug mentioned that after 28 yrs he is considering selling.  Anybody interested ?

Just for you lads that are still thinking of getting out one more time although there is still lots of snow, grooming has ended on all the North Bay trails all the way to Temagami. The long range forecast doesn't look promising although its still fairly cold at nights. Driving home  I caught some glimpses of the trail and at Marten River its very dark, open water very evident on both sides of the trail near the Rock Pine. The other issue to is getting in and out of towns for fuel and food. Lots of dry pavement. Enjoy it while you can and be safe. 

jedanr thank you once again for the trail report. It is always nice to get first hand information instead of having only the Interactive Trail Guide.

Stay safe during the non-sledding season, and get ready for another good winter.

Moosifer and I are heading to Sudbury tonight for a ride tomorrow.  Anyone else in the area want to join us?

Good for him!!!

attachicon.gif20140331_121452.jpg

attachicon.gif20140331_121417.jpg

jumpin jeezus now you're doing selfie-cast...lol,good work blake

Sudbury////Yesterday, pics taken on C and c206d. Today was plus8 but not as much sun as called for. The swamps are starting to flood a little but north of the lake the trsails should be great until at least thursday. The last shot was a trail check in the rain on friday before the snow came.

005_zpsf1e35d9f.jpg001_zpsab78e82b.jpg007_zps18e76185.jpg002_zps626eea0c.jpg

Great Pics Zoso.  We were in the same area yesterday.  The snow laden branches were awesome.  Found a lot of fallen trees on the trail and cleared what we could.

Ogidaki Mountain and Loggers Lake yesterday (Sunday April 6th).  Our video

Archived