Price gouging for Premium fuel

Candubrain

I recently filled up at a Circle K that sells Shell fuels in Listowel Ontario. Premium (91 octane) was $0.32 more than regular.......can you say gouging?

This summer the spread at most stations has been 25-26 cents, in the spring it was 22-23 cents, going back a couple years 12-15 cents was the norm in Ontario, whether you bought top tier brands or no name gas.

August of 2022, I was in Rocky Harbour, NFLD at a Shell Station, the spread was only 5.1 cents more, see attached photo

Is this common among all provinces? Locally multiple stations have one owner, giving them a monopoly

IMG_2500.jpeg

Esso in Milverton is close to 0.40 more, Atwood, only about 0.20 more.  Two different owners.

• Like 1

40 CENTS?  Its getting out of hand,  wondering if its the supplier that tells the station or the independent owner that decides what to charge.

Free enterprise yes......gouging no.

Premium pricing is all over the place.    I came into Tavistock a few weeks ago and needed fuel in my C8.    I pulled up to the pump and saw it was $2.09/L and the gas buddy app told me that 91 was $1.75 in Stratford.  Unfortunately, I NEEDED fuel and made sure that I put 10L in it and walked in and told the Manager I would have filled it if he wasnt so crazy on the premium price.     

• Like 2

I havn't bought alot of premium this year   the vehicles really didnt get alot of use    but last year Costco premium   for ethanol free hopefully    was prob 25 cents more      the previous year it was 10 cents more    but other stations have been 30 cents give or take    and here is some info for the price that is charged when the trucks take the fuel for delivery   https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/business-customers/app-rack-pricing.html#        sarnia depo on Nov 11    reg price is 88.9  and premium is 106.4       17.5 cent difference    gouging  yes 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

I havn't bought alot of premium this year   the vehicles really didnt get alot of use    but last year Costco premium   for ethanol free hopefully    was prob 25 cents more      the previous year it was 10 cents more    but other stations have been 30 cents give or take    and here is some info for the price that is charged when the trucks take the fuel for delivery   https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/business-customers/app-rack-pricing.html#        sarnia depo on Nov 11    reg price is 88.9  and premium is 106.4       17.5 cent difference    gouging  yes 

that is a very informative link.....thanks for sharing

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 6:52 PM, volunteer2 said:

Well call me stupid, using this link and some Jethro Bodine math I can now understand why the price spread

Regular with E10 is $0.904 per litre on the truck. add 52% mark up and the pump price is $1.37.4

Premium with E10 is $1.099 + 52% mark up and the pump price is $1.67.1

The difference is $0.297 or 30 cents

In the end.....someone in the middle east in getting rich and I'm getting poorer.....lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

In the end.....someone in the middle east in getting rich and I'm getting poorer.....lol

Crazy when we know we really have to be buy little or no foreign oil.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Crazy when we know we really have to be buy little or no foreign oil.

We have enough oil reserves in Canada to service our demand for over 1000 years. I've said this before so I'll say it again. Can you imagine how good we would have it if the stoppid federal libs put all their efforts into improving Canadas oil and gas industry instead of gutting it? Start with nation wide pipeline supply to every province and Territory. Offer incentivized profit sharing to all employees who innovate ideas to improve emissions on refining. Take all the carbon tax off and cut the rest of the tax in half. This alone would make it financially impossible to import oil into Canada which would save massive emissions. Once we had supply finalized and working add a 1% tax for a university solely dedicated to improving ICE emissions and performance again with profit sharing incentives for students who develop technology that improves overall gains in both areas. Patent and sell at fare rates the useage of said tech to the rest of the worlds manufacturers which will do a massive amount more to reduce emissions than any stupid carbon tax ever will. Remember this school would be focused on all transportation. Looking for gains and improvements everywhere; trains, planes, autos, boats all of it. Off the top of my head I would easily believe we could see a 50% drop in fuel useage in ten years if we focused on how to use fuel better instead of leaving it as is and simply how to make it more expensive. Once this is moving along add a 5% tax and bind it to law to eradicate Canadas debt. Once the debt is gone use the 5% to generate a sovereign wealth fund. Using only gains upon this fund never touching the principal to improve health care. Begin the same model with health care where we improve care and service to worlds number 1 ranking. Then use half the gains from the fund to service this system once completed #1 ranking and the other half to start a medical university with sole purpose of innovating newer and better health care technology again with profit sharing to the students who invent things/drugs/etc that improve health. License those patents out globally. Once that system is up and running we can start serious talks of what to do next

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 4:07 PM, Candubrain said:

40 CENTS?  Its getting out of hand,  wondering if its the supplier that tells the station or the independent owner that decides what to charge.

Free enterprise yes......gouging no.

Just use regular and add octane boaster: It has ethonal now no point in buying it really.  

• Like 2

Gas station in Atwood was $0.24 more for premium 

Esso in Blenheim today was 42 cents more, the PetroCan up the street was 26 cents more.....felt like I was getting a black friday deal ....lol

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 7:00 AM, crispy said:

We have enough oil reserves in Canada to service our demand for over 1000 years. I've said this before so I'll say it again. Can you imagine how good we would have it if the stoppid federal libs put all their efforts into improving Canadas oil and gas industry instead of gutting it? Start with nation wide pipeline supply to every province and Territory. Offer incentivized profit sharing to all employees who innovate ideas to improve emissions on refining. Take all the carbon tax off and cut the rest of the tax in half. This alone would make it financially impossible to import oil into Canada which would save massive emissions. Once we had supply finalized and working add a 1% tax for a university solely dedicated to improving ICE emissions and performance again with profit sharing incentives for students who develop technology that improves overall gains in both areas. Patent and sell at fare rates the useage of said tech to the rest of the worlds manufacturers which will do a massive amount more to reduce emissions than any stupid carbon tax ever will. Remember this school would be focused on all transportation. Looking for gains and improvements everywhere; trains, planes, autos, boats all of it. Off the top of my head I would easily believe we could see a 50% drop in fuel useage in ten years if we focused on how to use fuel better instead of leaving it as is and simply how to make it more expensive. Once this is moving along add a 5% tax and bind it to law to eradicate Canadas debt. Once the debt is gone use the 5% to generate a sovereign wealth fund. Using only gains upon this fund never touching the principal to improve health care. Begin the same model with health care where we improve care and service to worlds number 1 ranking. Then use half the gains from the fund to service this system once completed #1 ranking and the other half to start a medical university with sole purpose of innovating newer and better health care technology again with profit sharing to the students who invent things/drugs/etc that improve health. License those patents out globally. Once that system is up and running we can start serious talks of what to do next

imagine if a part of the $43 billion in electric vehicle subsidies given to EV battery plants to buy jobs was actually invested in natural gas and oil pipelines into Quebec and the Maritimes?

Our countries investment could earn revenue, eliminate imported dirty oil, provide natural gas to Quebec by more efficient pipeline over rail cars.

But then the East Canada power families who are heavily invested in utilizing cheap dirty oil would have to make a little less.

• Like 1

I'm in Deer Lake NL, not far from Rocky Harbor, gas is around $1.70 right now. Premium is about 5 or 6 cents difference here all the time.                                                                              Fuel prices here are controlled by a Public Utilities Commission, this includes diesel, home heating oil, farm oil & propane.                                                                                                         We might not get hosed on the upgraded fuel but definitely our prices are up there. Originally from Kitchener and see prices around $1.40 there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sksman said:

imagine if a part of the $43 billion in electric vehicle subsidies given to EV battery plants to buy jobs was actually invested in natural gas and oil pipelines into Quebec and the Maritimes?

Our countries investment could earn revenue, eliminate imported dirty oil, provide natural gas to Quebec by more efficient pipeline over rail cars.

But then the East Canada power families who are heavily invested in utilizing cheap dirty oil would have to make a little less.

Under the current regime crookedness I can sure relate to that. Realistically there is no need for anyone to be left out of the supply chain. We need to run LNG and crude lines to every province. We can equalize taxation so the competition is fair province to province or do like the breweries did, must brew in own province to sell in said province. Plenty of ways to make sure everyone gets made whole when we are actually generating income instead of piling on debt. Debt can only reach so far before inflation takes off. Generating wealth has an entirely different knock on event. Ironically the most significant event for haves is many use less resources than poor due to top line cleaner technology and happy at home because home is awesome and not some tar paper shack. The entire lie the Liberals and NDP climate mongers have sold us is complete hooey. In no sensible fashion whatsoever is it going to accomplish anything of benefit for the climate, and especially not for the people. Its the bend over and line up for your shot plan. No thanks

• Like 1

There are many taxes that go into each litre of gasoline.  And then the best part is that HST is charged on top of the taxes, including the carbon tax.  Also note that the Ontario Government has reduced the PFT by 5.7c per litre until mid-2024.   

Carbon Tax $0.1431 X 1.13= $0.1617

Here is a breakdown of the taxes on a bulk fuel delivery (Ontario).  This happen to be Mid-Grade Ethanol Free.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

We get our 91 at Costco, usually close to price of regular at regular stations.

I guess the good news for this season is no stress finding ethanol free premium.   It’s all got ethanol so any station will do   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been driving European vehicles since '99 so always premium. Back then it was $.10/ltr more or a little more than 10%. Since then, the difference has kept creeping up and nowadays there are more and more cars on the road that take the high test. Since the stations only post regular, the price for premium is always a surprise but by the time you find out, you're already in front of the pump. US and Europe advertise all octanes so you know going in.  Extra bump in margin for the owner for sure. Gas buddy isn't always right either.

• Like 1

I've been told by a station owner his pricing is based on what was paid for it at the time of delivery. Also still carries brand name E-free premium as do some others. As always believe what you will.

5 hours ago, burndog said:

I've been told by a station owner his pricing is based on what was paid for it at the time of delivery. Also still carries brand name E-free premium as do some others. As always believe what you will.

Yeah I have seen far too  often 3 or 4 stations that are grouped together at an intersection all magically get fuel all at the same time and all drop price.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 7:00 PM, crispy said:

Under the current regime crookedness I can sure relate to that. Realistically there is no need for anyone to be left out of the supply chain. We need to run LNG and crude lines to every province. We can equalize taxation so the competition is fair province to province or do like the breweries did, must brew in own province to sell in said province. Plenty of ways to make sure everyone gets made whole when we are actually generating income instead of piling on debt. Debt can only reach so far before inflation takes off. Generating wealth has an entirely different knock on event. Ironically the most significant event for haves is many use less resources than poor due to top line cleaner technology and happy at home because home is awesome and not some tar paper shack. The entire lie the Liberals and NDP climate mongers have sold us is complete hooey. In no sensible fashion whatsoever is it going to accomplish anything of benefit for the climate, and especially not for the people. Its the bend over and line up for your shot plan. No thanks

Nailed it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1