Yamaha to stop producing snowmobiles after 2025 season

LuvMyViper

Aluminum makes for good fishing and playcrafts like pontoons and whatnot. Not a good choice for a performance hull though which is why we never really see aluminum offshore race boats. The odd guy tries/d it but they fatigue funny and fail prematurely. Fiberglass is tough stuff

14 hours ago, signfan said:

Even the newer ones like the switch with the composite hulls?  I thought most osmosis issues were on fiberglass units??  My newer larson (2008) is like that.  Has to stay on the trailer.  Our older 1990 model has been left in the drink 4 - 5 months a year for 10 years and still no osmosis on it.  Seems to depend on the quality of materials the fiberglass was made with.

My 2012 Larson 2150LX went to sh-t with osmosis.    I generally leave it in the water from June to the end of Sept though.  

I sold it and bought a pontoon and now I fight with filthy logs instead.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

My 2012 Larson 2150LX went to sh-t with osmosis.    I generally leave it in the water from June to the end of Sept though.  

I sold it and bought a pontoon and now I fight with filthy logs instead.   

Yeah genmar boats got cheap around 2008 (financial crisis led them to cut costs).  That plan ultimately failed with many of their lines going bankrupt.  Too bad as they had great products for years prior to.  My 08 is a trailer boat for that reason.  Sits in the water for a max of 2 weeks at a time each summer for holidays.  Hull looks great because of this (and some very large bumpers that we swear by).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wildbill said:

Stingray still makes real boats leave them in the water no problem. 

As for Yamahethe day that they announced thedeal with Textron was the death sentence for the brand. 

I do not know, I think it provided them a life line to remain in the market a bit longer than they would have if they did not partner with another manufacture.

On 7/23/2023 at 5:04 PM, stoney said:

I do not know, I think it provided them a life line to remain in the market a bit longer than they would have if they did not partner with another manufacture.

100% - they had no chassis

The RX-1 tonne was not going to keep them afloat.

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

The RX-1 tonne was not going to keep them afloat.

RX-1 tonne and ' float ' in the same.e sentence.  Not that beast :)

Innovative as heck. Exhaust out the back ( loved it on my Apex ). But she certainly didn't ' float ' by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, signfan said:

Looks like those prices are official.

https://www.fcmq.qc.ca/en/trail-permit/line-trail-permits

So $440 for early QC to a TBD early ON permit, that was what last year, around the $200 mark. 

The delta seems to be growing….

• $ 440 for an annual trail permit purchased on or before December 9, 2023
  • $ 530 for an annual trail permit purchased after December 9, 2023
  • $ 900 for an annual trail permit sold in trail*
  • $ 400 for an annual trail permit for antique snowmobiles (2003 and older)
  • $ 285 for a 7-day trail permit
  • $ 185 for a 3-day trail permit
  • $ 95 for a 1-day trail permit
  • $ 650 for an annual trail permit for a rental snowmobile
  • $ 40 for a replacement trail permit

On 7/25/2023 at 5:03 PM, Canuck said:

RX-1 tonne and ' float ' in the same.e sentence.  Not that beast :)

Innovative as heck. Exhaust out the back ( loved it on my Apex ). But she certainly didn't ' float ' by any stretch of the imagination.

Only 1 ton I ever rode with ... IDK that it floated or not, but at the speed that thing went, it didn't need to.

Yami dealer in Gunnison, Colorado had a 2 stage (?) turbo set-up on his, with a 163 track.

My 163 x 2.25 tracked Summit made it 25-30% of the way up the big hill, and I turned out.

My chum made it 1/2 way, and turned out.

(it was really rotten snow! Seriously...)

Mr. WonTon went over the top so hard that he aired the whole thing out with remarkable ease!

OH friggin WOW! :o

Makes a fella feel a bit ... inconsequential .....

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 8:45 AM, Wildbill said:

Stingray still makes real boats leave them in the water no problem. 

As for Yamahethe day that they announced thedeal with Textron was the death sentence for the brand. 

Ranger also uses vinylester under the gel coat to seal the hull. Not so sold on the strength of Ranger transoms however lol. Anyways there are some well built glass boats out there I was generalizing because for the majority of them they are all polyester which is still good if done well. Its not like leaving a poly hull in the water for an entire summer is going to do much harm. IIRC the scheduled service is to pull them out for a 3 day dry off every 3 months or something like that.

1 hour ago, crispy said:

Ranger also uses vinylester under the gel coat to seal the hull. Not so sold on the strength of Ranger transoms however lol. Anyways there are some well built glass boats out there I was generalizing because for the majority of them they are all polyester which is still good if done well. Its not like leaving a poly hull in the water for an entire summer is going to do much harm. IIRC the scheduled service is to pull them out for a 3 day dry off every 3 months or something like that.

Aluminum are nice now too. Depends where and how you using boat. For occasional use, I would prefer aluminum hulls. Good enough for all in land lakes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Aluminum are nice now too. Depends where and how you using boat. For occasional use, I would prefer aluminum hulls. Good enough for all in land lakes. 

And horrible for the great lakes. I popped 35 rivets in my 18ft. aluminum hull bowrider and the boat filled with water(almost sank).

The main support beam broke (front and center of the hull). Banging those Lake Erie waves was just too much for the boat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, LuvMyViper said:

And horrible for the great lakes. I popped 35 rivets in my 18ft. aluminum hull bowrider and the boat filled with water(almost sank).

The main support beam broke (front and center of the hull). Banging those Lake Erie waves was just too much for the boat.

Great Lakes I wouldn’t go into with an aluminum that’s for sure. Glad you ok. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LuvMyViper said:

There are some very very nice and solid all welded aluminum hulls for big water. King Fisher, Henley, and many others. In BC you see many on the big water. A .01 riveted aluminum is the most basic small lake fishing hull, they used to be even thinner. Lund a premium priced brand still uses rivets. Pass.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zoso said:

There are some very very nice and solid all welded aluminum hulls for big water. King Fisher, Henley, and many others. In BC you see many on the big water. A .01 riveted aluminum is the most basic small lake fishing hull, they used to be even thinner. Lund a premium priced brand still uses rivets. Pass.

Unfortunately mine boat is a Spectrum with rivets. The manufacturer told me the boat was made for small inland lakes not Great Lakes. It happened to me after a pounding 25 mile drive back from Port Dover. I rode it hard because it was advertised as a super tough hull, for small inland lakes the manufacturer told me after the incident..  Doh

Good info.

Wasn't aware Lund uses rivets.

I think it’s riveting 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, signfan said:

The thread hasn't completely sunk yet.

Too bad Yamaha done

. I remember sponge Bob sinking his skidoo in channel beteeen joe and ros and someone on an Yamaha apex comes plowing thru water as he swims towards shore. Was a near miss that day and yes wontonne made it back onto solid ice 🤣. Good old days. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Too bad Yamaha done

. I remember sponge Bob sinking his skidoo in channel beteeen joe and ros and someone on an Yamaha apex comes plowing thru water as he swims towards shore. Was a near miss that day and yes wontonne made it back onto solid ice 🤣. Good old days. 

The Yammie probably sank shortly after. They don't do water skipping well at all. Need an old Indy to have a great skipper.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The Yammie probably sank shortly after. They don't do water skipping well at all. Need an old Indy to have a great skipper.

Wedge and Edge were great on the water

I could run Dorset all day quarter throttle on my Pro X 600

• Like 2