Warning to you guys with "cans"

GrizzlyGriff

While in North Bay last weekend we were stopped by a short liitle OPP guy. He was rude and aggressive toward my buddy with a Sidewinder with a 290 tune. He had the quietest muffler possible with that tune. Just slightly louder than my stock pipe. Cop told him he was lucky he was going off duty and let him off. Others we met that weekend all had stories of running into the rude little officer. Met 4 guys who got tickets 

North Bay has been dealing w/ noisy sleds pro-actively the last couple of seasons. It has been widely reported in the media & social media.

I'm pretty sure it's a zero tolerance stance on the part of the police.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, revrnd said:

I'm pretty sure it's a zero tolerance stance on the part of the police

Not excusing the guy being rude but I think we need more of this. If you can't keep stock noise levels you shouldn't be on trails period. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Yeah but his pipe was not that loud. Guess it means an end to aftermarket pipes. 

In Quebec if they catch you with a pipe it is $1,000 fine and they tow your sled off the trail.

One of the Guys we were riding with was even worried about the aftermarket temp gauge installed on his stock exhaust.  

• Like 1

you may want to change your thread title... the tune does nothing for noise, it is the can, and the modified exhaust that IS THE issue. just my .02, Ski

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

While in North Bay last weekend we were stopped by a short liitle OPP guy. He was rude and aggressive toward my buddy with a Sidewinder with a 290 tune. He had the quietest muffler possible with that tune. Just slightly louder than my stock pipe. Cop told him he was lucky he was going off duty and let him off. Others we met that weekend all had stories of running into the rude little officer. Met 4 guys who got tickets 

simple solution... follow the low and don't swap out your exhaust system. They have large signs posted in the area. The land owners are getting royally annoyed by cans and will close trails.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Yeah but his pipe was not that loud. Guess it means an end to aftermarket pipes. 

law states it clearly

• Like 1

Well...what are you going to do.....the so called OFSC marketing team of the Lesters, Nicholson and spouse and other of their ass kissers and facebook hangers on make their living advertising after market parts including these altered exhausts.....don't want to rock that boat.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

you may want to change your thread title... the tune does nothing for noise, it is the can, and the modified exhaust that IS THE issue. just my .02, Ski

X2

My tuned sled has the stock muffler, no law saying you can’t run a little extra boost. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, slomo said:

Well...what are you going to do.....the so called OFSC marketing team of the Lesters, Nicholson and spouse and other of their ass kissers and facebook hangers on make their living advertising after market parts including these altered exhausts.....don't want to rock that boat.

^ this.. 

Unfortunately has created a multi-level division amongst the community. Along with the marketing hype of "off-trail, backcountry" style of riding, the dis-pleasure directed at OFSC, millennial mentality,  and S Ontario's lack of snow. We are now seeing the repercussions from all it.

Does all of this excuse the Officer in question? No 

Badge number should've been present on his coat, always take note of it or if riding within a group, get video. Enough complaints about an Officers demeanour/work ethic to their Super will correct the situation. 

• Like 1

From my experience officers always polite and helpful, never see rude or unprofessional and loud pipes not good way to treat landlords.

7 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Always has

• Like 1

Great to hear no need for these after market pipes, the most friggen annoying sound.Just another

nuisance to landowners that allow trails through their property.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Not excusing the guy being rude but I think we need more of this. If you can't keep stock noise levels you shouldn't be on trails period. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Just slightly louder than my stock pipe.

Grizzly, I know it wasn't your sled but you just posted that it was louder than the stock pipe . As 02 and others have stated, its illegal. Nothing more needs to said and if people don't stop installing them we won't have a continuous trail system PERIOD!  I don't condone the officer being rude but in my mind he should have charged your buddy. I don't think I would want the officers job. Every sledder he deals with that has a pipe would mean an argument.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

I have to agree...When I put a tune in my 900T, i will be keeping the stock exhaust for just this reason....I have no issue with that..

• Like 2

I like my quiet 850!

I learned to hate cats in the 90's when  we could meet one with pipes and [seemingly] not be able to hear for the next 5 miles (was in the UP at the time).

And it seemed that all cats had pipes...

Edited by Ox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Was he upset with the tune or aftermarket can?  

Noise and trespassing are big issues in our area. I volunteer for SSRSC which looks after the trails into North Bay. We have recently lost trails and are at risk of losing more in our club.

I wish people understood this. I personally do like the sound of aftermarket exhaust, but I know for damn sure that most landowners don't. I am tired of knocking on doors and putting up more signage in an effort to keep trails open only to read the 'just send it' 'frig'em' attitude that so many entitled people have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, snapper said:

The answer to this is simple, anyone caught on trails with an exhaust other than stock will be fined, and trail permit removed from sled:

This is 100% wrong too.

You could have* an aftermarket exhaust that is as quiet, or even more quiet that OEM.

Requiring that it be OEM is bad.

* I understand that is not normally the case, but this could happen more and more if it had to be.

The market is getting more that way all the time.

It's already not the wild west like it was 25 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OEM or stay off the trail. Introducing gray areas is not going to move this issue out of the way. If there was a blitz on enforcement, as we can't seem to get regular enforcement of anything, and results were made public, maybe we would get somewhere with this "black and white" issue, and move ahead.

• Like 1