Weather

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Was just thinking about doing that this morning but will wait till the rain is done.

My summers are aggressive m+s tires if it does snow

1 hour ago, wrightonalan said:

if you claim snow tire discount from insurance company,most want them left on till April 1

Cuts two ways, Insurance may "want" them on until April 1st but, most if not all real snow tires state do not drive in temps above 45 degrees. The soft compounds do not take heat very well. Ski

2 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

if you claim snow tire discount from insurance company,most want them left on till April 1

I understand that. If you look at the 14 day forecast  for our area, there are 2 or 3 days with a max of 1cm. of snow and 2 days with less than a cm. There's also a day forcast with 1-3 cm. of snow. I have no reason to be driving that day anyway. No days with freezing high temp. I normally never go anywhere until after 10 AM so roads will likely be melted themselves by then and if they aren't I live a quarter mile from a regional yard so we get more than our share of salt. Oh, also the average daily high forcast for that 14 day period is 4.92 degrees.    I rest my case LOL

No case just adding what I've heard from some people.Been in the car repair and tire business for many years.

35 minutes ago, wrightonalan said:

No case just adding what I've heard from some people.Been in the car repair and tire business for many years.

No doubt that you are correct in what you posted but like Ski said and as you know, my Blizzaks don't like these high temps we've been getting. 

• Like 1

Snows are off all of our cars as of today.  

Sled is washed, fogged and in trailer. 

Summer toy car out of storage and in my driveway.   

I am officially over winter.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Cuts two ways, Insurance may "want" them on until April 1st but, most if not all real snow tires state do not drive in temps above 45 degrees. The soft compounds do not take heat very well. Ski

I don't even bother switching them now. Leave on all year they last longer then you would think. 

I'm waiting for my gravel driveway to freeze so I can get my sleds out of my shop. Hopefully that's Tuesday morning by the looks of the forecast.

I was invited to Mont Valin for this weekend but passed.

My heads in a different place now and I still have about 80% of my winter projects to get to yet.

I got to 2 weeks before the wife gets home to inspect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I don't even bother switching them now. Leave on all year they last longer then you would think. 

Not as much of an issue with "winter tires" but it certainly is with real "snow tires"

14 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Are you that guy who drives around on black rusty steel rims all year?   

I cant believe how much nicer (and quieter) my F150 is with the original tires back on.     I dont think I am even going to bother putting them on next year.    

Ice is now out on our lake - earliest its been gone in the 36 years we have had a place there.

14 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Ice is now out on our lake - earliest its been gone in the 36 years we have had a place there.

Where are you?    We have a water access cottage in Port Severn and according to our neighbour, the lake is wide open as well.    Unfortunately the township has cement blocks across the public launches.     

We still wont go up for at least a month though.    

59 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Where are you?    We have a water access cottage in Port Severn and according to our neighbour, the lake is wide open as well.    Unfortunately the township has cement blocks across the public launches.     

We still wont go up for at least a month though.    

Huntsville

Would normally be sledding all over the lake - stakes would be in etc.:

It's gonzo

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

I cant believe how much nicer (and quieter) my F150 is with the original tires back on.     I dont think I am even going to bother putting them on next year.    

My AT4 came with those stupid Goodyear Duratracs, So im riding my winters as much as i can. Ill probably buy the Bf Goodroch all terrains again. Great tire

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

I just heard that. Frigging wild

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scottyr said:

No reply LOL

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Mary lake opened up at the south end today. Still covered in the middle towards crown island. If the wind was stronger today it likely would have finished it. Hopefully the wind stays light and doesnt start pushing ice sheets into docks/boathouses. Clearwater lk still has a good covering but getting darker. 

9 hours ago, scottyr said:

Nope was to cheap to buy steel rims. Cheaper to just leave snow tires on. Rims I would need sensors too. Next time I am going for those all weather tires. All you really need and they are very good in snow. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Next time I am going for those all weather tires. All you really need and they are very good in snow. 

I thought so too until I got turned around by heavy cross winds in flash freeze conditions at highway speed. First time ever and it made me realize that 80kph was way to fast to be out of control. Not to mention the fact that things could have gone bad had I hurt someone just because I unprepared. I'm all about some good snow tires these days. Cheap compared to the potential for disaster in my books. 

On to the weather.... just got the boats home, had a couple good days fishing on G-Bay and next week calls for all below zero days and 20cm of snow. :banghead:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 95rxl650 said:

I thought so too until I got turned around by heavy cross winds in flash freeze conditions at highway speed. First time ever and it made me realize that 80kph was way to fast to be out of control. Not to mention the fact that things could have gone bad had I hurt someone just because I unprepared. I'm all about some good snow tires these days. Cheap compared to the potential for disaster in my books. 

On to the weather.... just got the boats home, had a couple good days fishing on G-Bay and next week calls for all below zero days and 20cm of snow. :banghead:

It's crazy! Here comes ice and snow we all been waiting for. 😆

Thanks for heads up on tires. Not much that help on ice though besides some good driving skills and a little bit of luck. 

Studs is what is needed. 
just drive in QC in a bad weather day and see those crazy buggers fly by you or pass on roads that are ice…lol

Then pass the ones flipped over or in the ditch a few km up the road that assume don’t have studs. 

2 hours ago, stoney said:

Studs is what is needed. 
just drive in QC in a bad weather day and see those crazy buggers fly by you or pass on roads that are ice…lol

Then pass the ones flipped over or in the ditch a few km up the road that assume don’t have studs. 

I agree but they are banned unless you live far enough north in Ontario. In south they use that new chemical salt that works down to minus 25 C or so. 30 years ago they never cleaned roads down to bare pavement. Everyone just drove according to conditions. Now today every one wants to blame someone else for thier actions or poor judgement calls. It's a sad world. 
I get truck some drivers that can barely back up on a good day. They rabbit hop backwards 😆.  A little bit of snow they can't move.  Then next guy that has more experience can make a gong show look easy 😎

On 3/15/2024 at 2:06 PM, UsedtoSkidoo said:

My AT4 came with those stupid Goodyear Duratracs, So im riding my winters as much as i can. Ill probably buy the Bf Goodroch all terrains again. Great tire

My AT4 came with Goodyear Territory MT.  Loud junk. 

For this winter I decided on Falken Wildpeak AT3W over the BFG KO2.  

The AT3W are an amazing tire so far.  Deep lug and quiet on highway.  Good in snow I encountered. 

And after driving through ice storm with my sled trailer a couple weeks ago where hwy 11 was a sheet of ice and high side winds I will not hesitate to recommend them as a winter use tire.  

I will use my Junk Goodyears up this summer. 

• Like 1

Snows are coming off next week for me. We have more hours on the bike this week than the sleds all winter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2024 at 2:06 PM, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Those tires don't typically go as many miles as one would expect. I sell quite a few Toyo Open Country AT3, good wear and smooth. Doesn't hurt to look.

10 minutes ago, Wildman said:

Those tires don't typically go as many miles as one would expect. I sell quite a few Toyo Open Country AT3, good wear and smooth. Doesn't hurt to look.

Toyo are good tires. I love there winter tires. Cheaper then Nokia still has walnut shells in tread and they last. Gsi 6 or whatever they call them.