Sled prices falling large ?

528rick

I was talking to my dealer this am and he said they are not taking any sled trades unless they are absolutely stealing them.   The market is shifting so fast no one can react fast enough.   

He said given the choice of being stuck with a new non current sled or a trade that he has too much money in, he would much rather just hang onto the new one.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scottyr said:

I was talking to my dealer this am and he said they are not taking any sled trades unless they are absolutely stealing them.   The market is shifting so fast no one can react fast enough.   

He said given the choice of being stuck with a new non current sled or a trade that he has too much money in, he would much rather just hang onto the new one.    

That makes sense.  He can push back on the manufacturers for rebates on non current new inventory.  Used he's on his own. 

I'm sure this will pass.  Sport isn't doomed and was / is due for a correction.  Many of us predicted a year ago that this was going to happen.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, scottyr said:

They eventually have to give fair dollars for used sleds or no one will buy new. Same guys trading in year after year mostly with some every 3 to 6 years too. 
usually  they can move used too just weather this year. Everyone just going to sit tight and see what happens. If it starts snowing next week this whole situation will correct itself real fast. 

48 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Factory Rec has been advertising some great deals on used sleds.

And they are not selling......

Until we get snow, price doesnt matter.    No one is buying period.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scottyr said:

And they are not selling......

Until we get snow, price doesnt matter.    No one is buying period.    

And by the time you get to mid January even snow doesn’t matter as all the buying basically shuts down because,  why buy a sled you can only ride for 4 weeks?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

And by the time you get to mid January even snow doesn’t matter as all the buying basically shuts down because,  why buy a sled you can only ride for 4 weeks?

4 weeks.  Lol.  I'd be happy to get 4 weeks of riding.  Usually closer to 4 days. 

• Like 3

If you are still committed to the sport, I’d say it’s a great time to buy…not if I ride, it’s when I ride. 

surprised, or maybe not really, no one has commented on Ontario permits sales for this season….ya know the number is out there, just not openly shared that I’m aware of. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stoney said:

no one has commented on Ontario permits sales for this season….ya know the number is out there, just not openly shared that I’m aware of. 

The early regular permit sales were in the 62,000 area I believe plus classics and gift cards. A good source told me that to the end of November sales were down quite a bit from last year but no number mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The early regular permit sales were in the 62,000 area I believe plus classics and gift cards. A good source told me that to the end of November sales were down quite a bit from last year but no number mentioned. 

That be close I bought on last day of first round and got in 67,000 range. That puts it just over 62,000 😎

Boy oh boy. It's not just here....

Our spot in Colorado is about 30" base, and we are looking for 40". Not too bad, but not much in the forecast either.

But they have been keeping their head below freezing at least...

So, looking at other options:

Algoma - not a stitch and mud.

The guys at Island Park / West Yellowstone are saying that's basically just road riding there. Get off trail and you come home in pieces.

Truckee, California (Tahoe, Donner Pass) looks really tough on the webcams! Ski lifts are mostly open, but there's a LOT of brush poking through the snow! (They had what (?) 40' of snow last season?)

Sicamous, BC has more dirt than snow at the trailhead, and rain.

However, from what I have seen, Alaska is looking at least OK for now...

That's a bucket list destination, but not sure we have that much time right yet....

Oh bother .....

EDIT: Have not looked at Newfoundland.

Any good reports from that way?

1 hour ago, stoney said:

If you are still committed to the sport, I’d say it’s a great time to buy…not if I ride, it’s when I ride. 

surprised, or maybe not really, no one has commented on Ontario permits sales for this season….ya know the number is out there, just not openly shared that I’m aware of. 

Can save enough to cover permits and insurance for a few years. Still eyeing xcr but he won't budge for now. I wait a few more weeks and ask again 😎

34 minutes ago, Ox said:

Have not looked at Newfoundland.

Any good reports from that way?

The most snow is in the northwestern part of the island. That is where the City of Cornerbrook is and they only have 8" of snow according to the snow accumulation map on Windy.com

• Sad 1

El Nino is so severe this year the forecast carries it until April. Sometimes the nino brings insane snow falls later in the season but if the base doesnt freeze up, well you all know. I remember in 81 or 2? Same sort of inflation problem ironically another Trudeau issue also had a couple extremely mild winters out west. I bought a couple blizzards cheap as heck with almost no miles. One was a 79 7500 RV style. Wish I kept that one. I barely rode it iirc it had 1500 miles on it when I sold it in 89. I rode the hell out of that 9500 though, that thing rocked

• Like 1

If I enjoyed Vancouver weather I would live there.

Trudeau was right, this is a crisis 😁

2 hours ago, crispy said:

El Nino is so severe this year the forecast carries it until April. Sometimes the nino brings insane snow falls later in the season but if the base doesnt freeze up, well you all know. I remember in 81 or 2? Same sort of inflation problem ironically another Trudeau issue also had a couple extremely mild winters out west. I bought a couple blizzards cheap as heck with almost no miles. One was a 79 7500 RV style. Wish I kept that one. I barely rode it iirc it had 1500 miles on it when I sold it in 89. I rode the hell out of that 9500 though, that thing rocked

I don't know of any mild winters until '84. 

You sure you got your calendar flipped right?

The early 80's were purty intense here. The state road that goes past us here was closed for 3 days at a time a cpl times each winter during that time as the state trucks couldn't keep up.

But in '84/'85 I tried to sell my sled to Spicers Boat City up in Houton Lake, and they said that they didn't have any snow up there either.

• Haha 1

Weather is just that... Weather. it is cyclitic, nothing more. There was an ice age (if you hadnt heard), there were no real huge populations of people, and definitely no carbon emitting internal combustion motors, coal fired electric plants, etc... And that ice receded. It is cyclitic, nothing more, nothing less. 

@Ox, I can remember as a kid (57 now) of a lot of warm wet Thanksgivings, and a few green Christmas' 70's, 80's, 90's, etc...  One Christmas it was 65 degrees (1982). It is just a weather cycle.

First they told us all the oil would run out. then, a new ice age was coming. Then, the ozone layer was going to be gone and we would all fry. Then, the global warming, now explained as climate change, when they cant cite warm temps.

It's all just a control tactic. 

It's just weather cycles. Ski  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Another holiday and another heated discussion with my FIL about weather, save the earth,  etc… a new twist was the EV vehicles discussion and all that will be allowed in the next decade that he believes to be true and good for us.….

He’s a stubborn liberal of course. 
To your point, I brought up past environmental predictions that never came to fruition that he just wouldn’t acknowledge. 

Sure, we had warm weeks - no doubt!

I remember shooting hoops in T-shirt in January in or around '82 when it [seemed] warm. (45*?)

But the whole winters weren't like that.

'84/'85 started that for me/here anyway.

Now, go and talk to my landlord, who has 10 yrs on me (us) and he says that he didn't recall having all this snow when he was a kid, 'till he got out of skewl and had to keep lots clear on the farm. Which would be about the same time (mid 70's) my dad brought home the first snowmachine. And I had a new one about a year later.

My dad grew up skating on the Thames River, for weeks on end, you’d be lucky to get a day on it at all now.

things have changed, but none of us were around in the 17 and 18 hundreds and anything from those times are just “stories” anyways, so nobody really “knows”

People only look at the past what 20, 30, 50 years when in the big picture, that is nothing. 

Many predictions have not come true over the years from that same period. 
it’s not like nothing at all is being done either to offset the cons….there have been significant changes to curve things over the years in technology and people being more aware. 
Than the “events” are used as a political tool and a money grab.

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

Weather is just that... Weather. it is cyclitic, nothing more. There was an ice age (if you hadnt heard), there were no real huge populations of people, and definitely no carbon emitting internal combustion motors, coal fired electric plants, etc... And that ice receded. It is cyclitic, nothing more, nothing less. 

@Ox, I can remember as a kid (57 now) of a lot of warm wet Thanksgivings, and a few green Christmas' 70's, 80's, 90's, etc...  One Christmas it was 65 degrees (1982). It is just a weather cycle.

First they told us all the oil would run out. then, a new ice age was coming. Then, the ozone layer was going to be gone and we would all fry. Then, the global warming, now explained as climate change, when they cant cite warm temps.

It's all just a control tactic. 

It's just weather cycles. Ski  

Well said Ski. 

Team Vincent is advertising on the website, Don't Pay Till May on used sleds. That's new.

They had roughly 35 used sleds in inventory when my son bought one there a few weeks ago. 

Not sure just how well this will copy/paste, but here is a post that I made on another site the other day:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member

From the article you posted. Did you even read it?

“The vegetation cooling effect is large from the energy dissipation perspective, but only about 10%-20% compared to the pace of global warming. The cooling effect from greening is less significant in tropical forests with high leaf areas.

“This is a warning sign about climate change. We should be cautious that the rainforests, which are at the forefront of the fight against global warming, are reaching the limits of their capacity to absorb carbon and cool the surface.” commented Dr. Rama Nemani, from NASA’s Ames Research Center.”

And no, a single large volcano is a fart in a windstorm compared to the amount of co2 mankind produces. 7th grade science wins again…

While I was searching for the post below to quote, I stumbled upon this one above, and I find it interesting that me and Mrs. O were watching a doc series on Netflix last night about natural disasters. It was a 4 part series. The shows were maybe 1/2 hour each?

The one part of course dealt with volcano's. And the one volcano that they were spotlighting was one that was interesting, it had a live lava lake in the bottom, and apparently hasn't changed much in ... well, in our time anyhow - or I take it that way as they have built a powered cable system to let volcanologists down and back up to study it. So it has obviously been stable for quite some time. And what I found interesting is that they said that this one volcano, that is "live" but just sitting there idling, spews more gasses in the air per week (? could have said day, but I think it was "week") than the US emits in a year.

This was just this one volcano - that is basically just sitting there at a stable idle.

Funny how climate change deniers also believe that Adam and Eve were real….

How are you so sure man doesn’t influence climate? Did your pastor tell you that? Why has the CO2 concentration gone up so much since 1850? What did man start burning a ****load of right around then? What do global temperatures do when CO2 concentration goes up?

Since you’re so smart, why are we seeing such massive glacial recession on the BC coast? Major terrain features are gone in the last 20 years. Things that took thousands of years to form…

When I saw this video linked below, I remembered you mentioning about the glaciers near you that you are witnessing retreating, and when doo we think they formed?
One thing that you (we all) should find interesting about Tony Heller is that he claims to have been a Global Warming believer in the beginning, and he tells his story about his change.
I just seen that video recently, although I think that it was an older video. That info is likely found on his website tho.

Also, this one is very beneficial as well as it shows how the cloud formations actually help to regulate how much sun actually hits the surface of the Earth, and how much gets reflected.

Here is a link to the Netflix Doc Series that I quoted:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81346975