Boy is OC quiet 🤫

gobills

Praying for lake effect on friday and the future radar looks promising for muskoka. 2165kms this season on the new sled. Debating on Sudbury or saddlebagging from temiscaming next weekend. 

• Like 5

On 2/9/2023 at 5:34 PM, Steve F6 said:

Praying for lake effect on friday and the future radar looks promising for muskoka. 2165kms this season on the new sled. Debating on Sudbury or saddlebagging from temiscaming next weekend. 

Been snowing for 2 days in sudbury

• Like 5

Snowed in the Sault last night.  Winter has been stable here in Algoma with plenty of snow. Most of our riding has been north-east or north of the city.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Snowed in the Sault last night.  Winter has been stable here in Algoma with plenty of snow. Most of our riding has been north-east or north of the city.

looking at the forecast, that is going to change pretty harshly from now until friday, for all of us. our offtrail is not looking good now, and we are way further north than you. snow, thaw, snow, thaw, super cold, sugar snow on bottom, more snow, and now another thaw. it is not a trail rider or powder riders year.

just being a realist, and watching, knowing, what these weather cycles do to snow. get after it while you can, I have a feeling, when it starts to go, it is going to go, and leave. our grass in central lower michigan is starting to green up, no shit! forecasting close to 60* F on weds here too. plus to add insult to injury, only 1 day in the next 14 with a high below freezing. Ski

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

looking at the forecast, that is going to change pretty harshly from now until friday, for all of us. our offtrail is not looking good now, and we are way further north than you. snow, thaw, snow, thaw, super cold, sugar snow on bottom, more snow, and now another thaw. it is not a trail rider or powder riders year.

just being a realist, and watching, knowing, what these weather cycles do to snow. get after it while you can, I have a feeling, when it starts to go, it is going to go, and leave. our grass in central lower michigan is starting to green up, no shit! forecasting close to 60* F on weds here too. plus to add insult to injury, only 1 day in the next 14 with a high below freezing. Ski

I hear you Ski.  I've been checking out the 14 day forecasts for many parts of Ontario and Michigan and WOW!  We usually eye up Petoskey or Traverse City for an early April visit to walk around snow-free.  It might be earlier this year.

We are heading north on highway 129 tomorrow and further plugging away at the Wakomata Wildnerness route and will try and break trail from the Tunnel Lake side up to the east side of Wakomata on the powerline.  Snowdepth was good in there a week back, so should be a good outing.  

Dan

• Like 3

Been planning on making an early March run to Algoma, but then my boy is now switching jobs on March 1, so either we go the week before, or not at all, and watching the forecast, I'm purty sure that ":not at all" is going to be the result.

Fortunately me and a chum had good snow in Colorado a week+ ago, but that was an eventful trip, and we still have some cleanup work to doo on that yet, so ... (will disclose when I git pics .. soon?)

Looks almost like 1998 out there....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ox said:

Been planning on making an early March run to Algoma, but then my boy is now switching jobs on March 1, so either we go the week before, or not at all, and watching the forecast, I'm purty sure that ":not at all" is going to be the result.

Fortunately me and a chum had good snow in Colorado a week+ ago, but that was an eventful trip, and we still have some cleanup work to doo on that yet, so ... (will disclose when I git pics .. soon?)

Looks almost like 1998 out there....

If you are looking for true powder, I wouldnt count on it, in Algoma north. If you want powder, I would go west again. If you wanted to be able to explore areas, you normally cant get to, due to deep powder sucking all the fuel out of the tank, Algoma north will be decent. Gord Jones posted a great video, thursday, in the badlands, and it looked great. but, after a week of plus temps, that will firm up, and settle pretty significantly. he did that at Christmas too. posted a great powder vid, then a warm up happened. need to get him to stop posting great powder vids, I see a pattern there. :D LOL! Ski

• Haha 1

No time anyhow, and "not able to git to in Algoma" is long a thing of the past....

I have a bracket broken up to haul gas as well.

Not sure if I intended it this way when I designed/ordered it, but it appears to be needed to be cut in half and will work for two sleds.

Should be able to carry 2 or 4 fivers each when done. (in all my spare time)

Boy, that was a $alty pc of alum! Sure hope it works! LOL!

This is Trail 15min East of Orillia (103) from Sunday afternoon as we were driving by.   Water water and bare patches everywhere..  Not sure this will recover especially with the +10 this week..  Will be just more water and the base is about 1inch so almost gone...  Need snow..

image.thumb.jpeg.c1ec70a490851e9b3fadd6e8cce4b0a0.jpeg

• Sad 3

55 minutes ago, MXZMike said:

This is Trail 15min East of Orillia (103) from Sunday afternoon as we were driving by.   Water water and bare patches everywhere..  Not sure this will recover especially with the +10 this week..  Will be just more water and the base is about 1inch so almost gone...  Need snow..

image.thumb.jpeg.c1ec70a490851e9b3fadd6e8cce4b0a0.jpeg

Looks like April, not February.

Boy is OC quiet...That is because is it Wabbit season

• Haha 1

Food for thought!  Haul your sleds up north and arrange indoor storage for them.  Car pool up on weekends and get out riding.  

• Like 5

I have done the math on my rink for this year:

New liner:

2 Water truck loads of Water

1 broken stick

3 days of use

= $445.00 per skate lol

Ready to put this winter behind and move onto to the nicer weather.

I'm a winter guy, but if it's not going to be winter, then take the November all winter and shove it.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

To add insult to injury this was just north of Alban yesterday morning, everything tightened up. Son and I did a 125km loop, trails were excellent. Saw two Moose and tracks everywhere

Alban north 2.jpg

• Like 10

+7 and raining here in Port Sydney,if it does turn cold trails will be rock hard and no lube,haven’t even put my pass on my sled yet ,crap year for sure 

Well "warm" alone is one thing, but toss in the big winds that we have here today, and it will REALLY speed up melting/drying, and the winds are headed your way! (WSW)

55 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

+7 and raining here in Port Sydney,if it does turn cold trails will be rock hard and no lube,haven’t even put my pass on my sled yet ,crap year for sure 

Rain does Damage. It can melt a month worth of snow in a day If it pours. Here snow almost all gone with two hours of steady rain we had. Looks like 4th of March here now. Kind of concerning fields are going to dry up quick. But ground won’t be ready for plant king because it be too early by calendar.  We thinking we can maybe start two weeks sooner then normal and roll dice, it ifs dry. 

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

I have done the math on my rink for this year:

New liner:

2 Water truck loads of Water

1 broken stick

3 days of use

= $445.00 per skate lol

Ready to put this winter behind and move onto to the nicer weather.

I'm a winter guy, but if it's not going to be winter, then take the November all winter and shove it.

I didn't even set up our rink this year..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MXZMike said:

I didn't even set up our rink this year..

Good decision!

I still did the rink ,still got passes for the sleds, still got use each of them on an extremely limited basis.

All of it is a complete and utter waste of time and money - but getting those 2 rides and 3 skates - clears the mind a bit and makes it worth it.

Easy come easy go, can't take it with ya as they say :)

• Like 3