Online Permit Sales

Blake G

Ordered mine a couple days ago and I was ORD-23888, and a buddy just ordered his last night and he was ORD-27826, so hopefully the early permit sales are going good this year!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordered mine on Oct. 23. Got it today. number 19164.

Ordered last week, arrived today. 21610 & 21611

Shipping will be 2-3 weeks for anyone ordering from today on... Most who ordered early have received them within a week...

Glad to see strong numbers again this year, seems we are on the same track as last year. Which is a good thing for clubs.....

Ordered on the 26th, from different accounts, and they were at the at the post office when I opened the box today.

I'm impressed, particularly for this late in the sell cycle; the volume especially must be huge right now. Well done.

STG, very good news indeed.

Many of us were very critical of many OFSC technical and other service shortcomings over the past few years but I am certainly impressed with many of the improvements that have been made over the past year.

I am anxious to see how the Groomer GPS tracking system has been upgraded using the SPOT technology and less reliance on cell communications which were woefully inadequate in many areas.

Well just ordered mine, they as of now are up to # 59222. Looking forward to a great season on the trails :) 

I wish this was the only way the OFSC sold permits. My reasoning is that it takes the burden away from the individual clubs and more importantly, reduces the overall costs for the OFSC. Less costs means more money for the clubs to groom with and keep the clubs functional. I was very happy with the ease of purchase and timely manner in which I received my permit.

Carmen

I wish this was the only way the OFSC sold permits. My reasoning is that it takes the burden away from the individual clubs and more importantly, reduces the overall costs for the OFSC. Less costs means more money for the clubs to groom with and keep the clubs functional. I was very happy with the ease of purchase and timely manner in which I received my permit.

Carmen

I agree that it reduces workload for the clubs, but not so sure about reduced costs.  The fulfillment is being done by a third party, for profit, company.  Not sure it is cheaper than volunteer labour.

Either way, it is the way all permits will be sold next year, as Brian said.  I am not sure how we will serve he customers who either do not have credit cards or refuse to use them on the internet.  I certainly hope that the online process gets a POS option for the clubs for next year as promised last year.

Some of the clubs in our area are worried that on line sales takes away the interaction with the permit purchasers. That may mean that the club doesn't get a chance to make a pitch for new club members and especially for new volunteers. I believe it is a genuine concern.

Some of the clubs in our area are worried that on line sales takes away the interaction with the permit purchasers. That may mean that the club doesn't get a chance to make a pitch for new club members and especially for new volunteers. I believe it is a genuine concern.

That is true, as well, our permit vendors feel that it is a way for them to give back to the clubs and to get customers into their stores.  Those comments seemed to fall on deaf ears, though and it passed with flying colours.

On another point, I just placed the order for the permit for Moosifer's sled.  Order number 41876 and we sent the permit to Dubreilville.

One of the major complaints from Clubs in our area is that they have a considerable number of American riders who arrive at their snowmobiling destination and expect to buy their Trail Permit at the hotel or dealer, etc. but this may not be possible unless the OFSC develops a system whereby one or more locations can sell a permit in person using a modified system.

This means meeting MTO security protocol and of course ensuring that these designated in-person Sellers have sufficient Trail Permits on hand.

One of the major complaints from Clubs in our area is that they have a considerable number of American riders who arrive at their snowmobiling destination and expect to buy their Trail Permit at the hotel or dealer, etc. but this may not be possible unless the OFSC develops a system whereby one or more locations can sell a permit in person using a modified system.

This means meeting MTO security protocol and of course ensuring that these designated in-person Sellers have sufficient Trail Permits on hand.

I thought I heard that the on-line only sale of permits will be accompanied by a print and ride capability. Therefore your American visitors could print right at the hotel and be good to go. Just like Try Our Trails and the new Daily permits works now. Is this something that is in the works?

Well just ordered mine, they as of now are up to # 59222. Looking forward to a great season on the trails :)

Just ordered mine and Permit number 61004; looking good!

I agree that it reduces workload for the clubs, but not so sure about reduced costs.  The fulfillment is being done by a third party, for profit, company.  Not sure it is cheaper than volunteer labour.

Either way, it is the way all permits will be sold next year, as Brian said.  I am not sure how we will serve he customers who either do not have credit cards or refuse to use them on the internet.  I certainly hope that the online process gets a POS option for the clubs for next year as promised last year.

I agree....there are lots of people out there that simply don't have internet access. Especially outside of the GTA. Not everyone is an internet junkie. My brother is an example. He doesn't have a need or desire for internet access. He just got his first computer ever. The purpose is to put all his CD's onto USB to use in his truck.

The clubs will need to be able to go online and order a permit on behalf of those riders that don't have internet access or we will see a drop in permit sales.

I thought I heard that the on-line only sale of permits will be accompanied by a print and ride capability. Therefore your American visitors could print right at the hotel and be good to go. Just like Try Our Trails and the new Daily permits works now. Is this something that is in the works?

That is what we were told at AGM.  We'll see.

$25 day permit, minimum 2 day purchase. It can also be used to upgrade to a full season permit if they decide they will be doing more riding in Ontario..

Win/Win

Something I thought of after the motion was passed was we didn't ask about next year when all permits are online will the shipping and handling fees be paid by the purchaser of the permits ? 

One of the main reasons given for not charging S/H fees was that they did not want an online purchases to cost more than a local sale. With online only that no longer is a problem so S/H fees should be charged on every transaction. There should also be a reduced fee for multiple permits in the same order.

I thought I saw somewhere that the fulfilment fees topped $600k last year to the fulfilment house. If we could recover those fees that's 2 more groomers that could be funded.

One of the main reasons given for not charging S/H fees was that they did not want an online purchases to cost more than a local sale. With online only that no longer is a problem so S/H fees should be charged on every transaction. There should also be a reduced fee for multiple permits in the same order.

I thought I saw somewhere that the fulfilment fees topped $600k last year to the fulfilment house. If we could recover those fees that's 2 more groomers that could be funded.

Make the motion and I will second it 

That can work if it's a hotel chain such as Travelodge, but private resorts (Edgewater Park for instance) have limited computer/printer resources.  They cannot afford to have people using their business computers to buy and print permits.  Yes, out-of-province visitors should deal with this before they leave home, but the reality is some don't.  We see them looking for permits, fishing licences and other stuff on a regular basis.  Sad fact is, some resort operators have been known to advise their customers " If it's too much of a pain-in-the-ass to get a permit this week-end, just ride without.  Probably won't get caught anyway."

Obviously wrong, but some of these smaller operators are frustrated to be in this position.

Make the motion and I will second it 

Wildbill. how does this sound?

Whereas the OFSC and its member clubs have chosen to pursue an on-line only process for the sale of Trail Permits and

Whereas the OFSC and its member clubs have adopted in principle the More On The Snow initiative and

Wheras thye OFSC and its member clubs have adopted in principle the recommendations of the Groomer management Study of January 2014 and

Whereas it is critically important that sufficient resources be dedicated to the funding of new groomers

Be it resolved that

For the 2016-2017 Season, it be recommended to the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario that on-line permit sale transactions be subject to the following fee schedule

Seasonal and Classic Permits              $7.50 for the first permit in any single transaction plus

$5.00 for each additional permit included in the same order.

Tracked Shipping-Canada                    $10.00 in addition to the regular fees.

Tracked Shipping-U.S.A.                      $20 in addition to the regular fees

Wildbill. how does this sound?

Whereas the OFSC and its member clubs have chosen to pursue an on-line only process for the sale of Trail Permits and

Whereas the OFSC and its member clubs have adopted in principle the More On The Snow initiative and

Wheras thye OFSC and its member clubs have adopted in principle the recommendations of the Groomer management Study of January 2014 and

Whereas it is critically important that sufficient resources be dedicated to the funding of new groomers

Be it resolved that

For the 2016-2017 Season, it be recommended to the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario that on-line permit sale transactions be subject to the following fee schedule

Seasonal and Classic Permits              $7.50 for the first permit in any single transaction plus

$5.00 for each additional permit included in the same order.

Tracked Shipping-Canada                    $10.00 in addition to the regular fees.

Tracked Shipping-U.S.A.                      $20 in addition to the regular fees

Since the processing of one order for multiple permits is only one single transaction with the data processing portion being only marginally greater, the credit card processing fee is consistent whether in person or electronically through Moneris and the only real variable is the extra page of paper to print and the extra permit to put in the same envelope with postage not changing I would suggest that each additional permit would be $3.75.

Archived