Yamaha to stop producing snowmobiles after 2025 season

LuvMyViper

13 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Polaris no longer builds motorcycles

Too bad as the Victory was a nice bike to ride and had lots of power in stock form.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Too bad as the Victory was a nice bike to ride and had lots of power in stock form.

never ridden one. The issue was the initial price point was the same as Harley so there really was no incentive to buy one as its resale value was terrible. 

5 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Indian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Polaris owns Indian.  

• Like 1

... and if it IS a Harley?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yamaha dealers will go artic cat then and they can double market share over night. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Won't territory rights impede? In our area, Georgian Bay Yamaha on Hwy 12 is unlikely to become an Arctic Cat dealer with Team Powerports Arctic Cat on Hwy 400  ( exisiting rights) so close .

But who knows. Would be nice for the Yamaha dealers to sell and service Arctic Cat. They've got the repair technology,  equipment already,  by and large.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canuck said:

Won't territory rights impede? In our area, Georgian Bay Yamaha on Hwy 12 is unlikely to become an Arctic Cat dealer with Team Powerports Arctic Cat on Hwy 400  ( exisiting rights) so close .

But who knows. Would be nice for the Yamaha dealers to sell and service Arctic Cat. They've got the repair technology,  equipment already,  by and large.

I could see a few get on board or maybe some won’t care if sleds go. They still have atv’s anyway’s. Depends on location and how many sleds they sold

too I suppose. I can see Yamaha dealers around here just give up selling sleds all together and concentrate on atv’s and out board engines etc. 

I am sure artic will approach some dealers and want them to carry whole product line where rights allow. They have to give Yamaha boot on atv’s anyways or maybe ac will play nice and just let them carry sleds 🤷🏽‍♂️. Good opportunity for ac to work with some existing dealers anyway’s and raise market share. Be interesting to see how this plays out. 

On 6/29/2023 at 2:17 PM, RAMSOMAIR said:

Sleds are a dying sport unfortunately. Put you development where money can be recuperated. 

Have you seen Yamaha’s 25-27 foot series boats ? No shortage of $$$ spent on R&D. 

8 hours ago, WinderFab said:

Have you seen Yamaha’s 25-27 foot series boats ? No shortage of $$$ spent on R&D. 

Those boats are nice and are efficient jet boats. Some places in world can use them all year. Dollars and price of fuel is sure to cut into that market too, but water is usually mostly available unlike snow conditions. 

On 7/11/2023 at 9:28 PM, WinderFab said:

Because there is a return.

sleds bring zero return

Anyone know what each industry brings to the manufactures financially for the following product lines that offer one, two or all of these:

- snowmobiling

- watercraft

- off-roading

Im thinking BRP and Yamaha were the only ones that offered all three….might be wrong. 

37 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Because there is a return.

sleds bring zero return

I think BRP would disagree with that statement.  Yamaha probably hasn't done well in the last few years paying someone else for their manufacturing and abandoning R and D which eroded their market share.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, signfan said:

Polaris was in all three for a while.  I believe they dropped their pwc lineup and now own a boat company.

I knew they dropped, just didn’t know they bought one. 

Still see the odd Polaris boat. 

2 hours ago, signfan said:

I think BRP would disagree with that statement.  Yamaha probably hasn't done well in the last few years paying someone else for their manufacturing and abandoning R and D which eroded their market share.

Well, that is BRP, this is Yamaha. They abandoned it for a reason, there was no money in it for them, so they focused their resources and efforts their efforts elsewhere.

To stay in the game, they tries an alternate solution, and have since confirmed there is no return in it for them, and have abandoned the sport altogether.

Yamaha is a very good and well run company, they know a loser when they see it.

I still see the BRP  Skidoo jet boats on small lakes. Definitely a trailer boat - not designed to sit in water ( friends delaminated - dealer advised him to keep it out of water, in trailer ).

Not as many Yamaha jetboats out there. Where we are.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

I still see the BRP  Skidoo jet boats on small lakes. Definitely a trailer boat - not designed to sit in water ( friends delaminated - dealer advised him to keep it out of water, in trailer ).

Not as many Yamaha jetboats out there. Where we are.

The Seadoo boats and seadoos technically arent boats. like you said they arent meant to stay in the water

• Like 1

Even the newer ones like the switch with the composite hulls?  I thought most osmosis issues were on fiberglass units??  My newer larson (2008) is like that.  Has to stay on the trailer.  Our older 1990 model has been left in the drink 4 - 5 months a year for 10 years and still no osmosis on it.  Seems to depend on the quality of materials the fiberglass was made with.

• Like 2

Production boats are made out of polyester and guess what polyester isn't? Yep you guessed right polyester is NOT waterproof. Any fiberglass hull that is left in the water for extended periods is going to take up water. How well the laminate was laid and how much resin was used and what the layup schedule is all affect how/when problems will arise. Rest assured, they will arise.

Its by design, no manufacturer wants their stuff to last forever plus poly is considerably cheaper than the better resins are.

So if any of you are shopping used boats and its been restored? Ask some questions about materials and resin. If a restoration is done well it will be substantially better than a new factory hull

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, crispy said:

Production boats are made out of polyester and guess what polyester isn't? Yep you guessed right polyester is NOT waterproof. Any fiberglass hull that is left in the water for extended periods is going to take up water. How well the laminate was laid and how much resin was used and what the layup schedule is all affect how/when problems will arise. Rest assured, they will arise.

Its by design, no manufacturer wants their stuff to last forever plus poly is considerably cheaper than the better resins are.

So if any of you are shopping used boats and its been restored? Ask some questions about materials and resin. If a restoration is done well it will be substantially better than a new factory hull

Good info next time I get an aluminium boat I think. They seemed to improve over time. 

• Like 2