Which clubs are grooming? Any trails close to open?

markweist

Not looking to go early but we’re still getting snow in Eastern Ontario.   Hoping some club is going to “yellow” light trails soon. 

Pretty warm today. Need to wait for it to cool off before grooming or they'll be giving what they have for snow away. I could see some rail trails and farm fields opening next week. We got a heavy packy snow fall in the Peterborough area. Will make good base if things cool off.

Cochrane, will be over-run, for xmas-new year. stay far away! it is early, I know people are itching. just wait, save your vacation time, budget for lodging, fuel, and spare parts for better days, and conditions.

once we started riding in ontario, I stopped worrying about riding early, knowing we were going to ride later than just about everyone else, with less people, and a lot better snow, and trail conditions. Ski

• Like 6

It's going to take some good frosts and lots of snow before we get riding in our area of Western Ontario. I was out earlier this week re-installing some stakes with signs attached that got blown over in the high winds we had the week before. Absolutely no frost in the ground and snow won't stay on ground with no frost in it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

Sorry PLC. Snow won’t stay on frozen ground. The wind blows it away. Frost goes in after the snow is keyed into the ground from wet snow that then freezes. 

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one CC.

Your choice. I grew up in the Parry Sound area and snow has always stayed on wet swamps and unless packed down or rained on, the swamps never froze until late winter. Same with the ground. Two generations older than myself also told me this many years ago. 

According to my older Indigenous friend, "the snow won't stay until the swamps are full".

The amount of water/ice on our trails from overflowing swamps, that we are now seeing doing trail work, should mean that the snow will be sticking around!

Need the cold temps to come in to freeze up the water/thicken the ice on the trails before we can think about putting a groomer out there. We're still breaking through on our ATVs.

So I think I agree with both PLC and CC!..lol

• Like 1

All I know is I need snow to ride, with no frost, makes for a messier ride…frost can always be forced into the ground via packing, just limits groomer use of course. 
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow…..

Than maybe a bit of rain and frigid cold temps !

8 hours ago, stoney said:

All I know is I need snow to ride, with no frost, makes for a messier ride…frost can always be forced into the ground via packing, just limits groomer use of course. 
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow…..

Than maybe a bit of rain and frigid cold temps !

Better to get frost first. Last year we had almost zero frost in ground in southern Ontario. Our season ended three weeks sooner then I like around 3 week of feb was my last ride if I recall properly. Season before we had frost in ground allot sooner so we rode about 3 weeks longer last ride was around March 17 or so. Even with packing snow frost won’t go in as deep as before snow comes. Packing it down does help but it takes some pretty cold temps to force frost thru a thick base of snow. Get a warm up with little frost snow goes at a re-record pace too. December almost half gone and we should have frost in the ground but nothing yet. Kind of mind boggling. 2014 we had over 3 feet of frost in the ground in southern Ontario. One of longest riding seasons we had at about 10 weeks of open trails. So I am with plc bring frost, freeze markers in good and then bring snow please. Even if it means a mid Jan start it help us last into March break. 

Sure, love to see some serious frost and lakes frozen beforehand, but that’s ideal and we do not have a history of having ideal situations, but rather making what we have been given, work. 
As for basing your hopes on ideal conditions on southern Ontario trail conditions, as great as it is to be able to ride there, consider that a bonus, you can always drive to open trails and should be considered mandatory if you want to ride where they still get some frost and trails that hold up the longest for many reasons. 

U.P. of Michigan clubs are reporting all kinds of wet, swampy areas with pics of water/mud holes, and tow truck personnel summoned to retrieve sleds from said holes. need cold, ice, and frost to freeze up the holes. Ski    

• Like 2

... or a heavier thumb...

I'm outside of North Bay and we are nowhere near ready to start opening anything.

Only 8" or so of snow and hardly any ice, open swamps, etc. Hoping for some cold temps to give us a kick start.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Albertan Sovereigntists are hoarding the cold air and are refusing to share it with the rest of Canada!! Bastards!!..lol..

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This will be welcome news for the Sault Trailblazers.  That's 2 1/2 feet of snow, if the projection is anywhere near being accurate.

snow.jpg

Are y'all not expecting to git the deep freeze this weekend?

We're expecting 0F over the weekend down here.

What the heck?

An Alberta Clipper dog legging underneath y'all?

Was up through the Elora/Elmira area yesterday - everything staked and looks ready to go - need a little more cold and some snow though.

Nice to see the signs up etc. - it at least gets the needle moving.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ox said:

Are y'all not expecting to git the deep freeze this weekend?

We're expecting 0F over the weekend down here.

What the heck?

An Alberta Clipper dog legging underneath y'all?

Cold and a nasty west wind, off the unfrozen lake,s will result in some outstanding snowfall amounts in the next 7 to 10 days. we are supposed to go up for the holiday but, we are forecast for over a foot in central michigan, and with the winds, and roads, guessing it will be near impossible to get up 17, or even 129 and 101. I am watching it, and will make a game day call but, it is looking like we will be stuck in michigan until at least the 27th or so. Ski

Just a few pictures of what the clubs in D1 are dealing with.  And they don’t do the situation justice. The snow last Friday was a welcome start but it caused a lot of damage in terms of downed trees etc. crews are reporting it looks like the ice storm of 1998. In my home club opening trails would normally take about 40-45 hours of grooming time. We are sitting at 55 hrs and we are not half way through the system yet. Any low lying areas are not frozen and there is a lot of accumulated water underneath the snow.  And now we have another storm front Thursday-Friday with over 25mm of rain and +6.0 before the flash freeze on Saturday with more snow and forecasted extreme winds.  It could be many more long hours for our volunteers before trails are safe to open. Hopefully the forecasted rain is lighter and the winds not as strong (or non-existent) as forecasted. With some luck we could have one of earliest starts ever.

F47CF7F2-4EB3-4312-A41F-D932645908B5.jpeg

2E0617C3-4F4E-4338-A534-02A8875BABAC.jpeg

EFB74BA6-198D-4B10-B157-82E573CF7F60.jpeg

AFB58D24-9D5C-42DB-8DB4-743A06429AAA.jpeg

38C6424F-0AE0-4F48-8297-7914F8A91D86.jpeg

FFBAEC8F-3EC3-47A3-BEBF-6FB57DA69EE8.jpeg

D4DCB502-6FFC-4FAC-8F7A-62EAF3390CE7.jpeg

BC8F3716-0F55-49E4-BEEF-011D956B05A7.jpeg

119E44C3-AC24-4D59-9151-44F4E48E79B1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is where im goin, Cochrane looks worse this comming week  Unfrigin believable!!

snow.JPG

Baysville has the best shot at opening first in muskoka once they can pack it down.