Jump to content
Strong Farmer

Permits on sale September 1

Recommended Posts

Looks like ofsc is freezing permit prices and banking on record sales this coming winter. Sales start September first at 190 a permit. Everyone ready to buy before labour day this year?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking this year I'll wait until November to see what impact covid will have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

I'm thinking this year I'll wait until November to see what impact covid will have.

I think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll buy early, but im disappointed with the ofsc in keeping the classic permit at 1999.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So essentially they are saying buy now, you may qualify to get the 50 dollar bonus towards next season,  and if trails close this season, no refund?. So what if the decision is made to have no sledding season for covid reasons  before snow even happens, still no refund?. 

Edited by TURBO DOO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't given much thought to season interruptions. Buying in Sept. to get benefit of the $50 'next year' (fair, IMO - ''fairer" if the mid Feb date was extended to March...since we rarely get good southern/mid  Ontario sledding in until Feb. 1st).

 

Actually see a role for gov't in these types of issues - stimulus spending - put in more than normal and assuage (potential) buyers with a gov't backed guarantee for season interruptions/cancellation.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

So essentially they are saying buy now, you may qualify to get the 50 dollar bonus towards next season,  and if trails close this season, no refund?. So what if the decision is made to have no sledding season for covid reasons  before snow even happens, still no refund?. 

I will ask that question to them right now. and let you know what response I get back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Looks like ofsc is .... banking on record sales this coming winter.

 

Yep. Florida is closed. Many friends have made the decision to stay north this winter. I've heard others looking into winter activities.

 

And in breaking news, ( aka another reason to stay here) Florida just released 750 million genetically modified mosquitoes. What can go wrong? Give me snow and ice in winter 2021!

 

"In the Florida Keys, the local mosquito control agency has just approved the release of 750 million genetically engineered mosquitoes. ... The species they're targeting is the Aedes aegypti or “yellow fever” mosquito, an invasive species that transmits diseases such as dengue, chikungunya, and Zika.."

 

Keep tweeking nature until you get it perfect- said no one, ever.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Haven't given much thought to season interruptions. Buying in Sept. to get benefit of the $50 'next year' (fair, IMO - ''fairer" if the mid Feb date was extended to March...since we rarely get good southern/mid  Ontario sledding in until Feb. 1st).

 

Actually see a role for gov't in these types of issues - stimulus spending - put in more than normal and assuage (potential) buyers with a gov't backed guarantee for season interruptions/cancellation.

 

 

 

 

Almost as bad as that Barrie snow fall guarantee they did one year. Are they paying out an insurance policy on this one too, you think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another way to look at this, in thinking there will be a 2nd wave of this beer flu, is the OFSC thinking that if trails close before, or shortly after  the start of the season, by not giving refunds it can turn into a windfall for them.. HMMMM. lots to ponder about this sport.....:rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

Another way to look at this, in thinking there will be a 2nd wave of this beer flu, is the OFSC thinking that if trails close before, or shortly after  the start of the season, by not giving refunds it can turn into a windfall for them.. HMMMM. lots to ponder about this sport.....:rolleyes:

Why don't we all just bail on the organization for a year and then expect it to still be there when normal life returns?  We're buying $10,000 - $20,000 machines.  Why are we concerned about risking $200 on a season we all want?  If it's a total wash bitch after the fact and I'm sure something will happen at that point (never a full refund, but something more than this).  In the interim buy your pass and give the organization the re-assurance it needs to get on with planning for this season.  Last time I checked new groomers were already being bought and some deliveries have occured with more to come.  Like it or not there is fixed costs to be paid to keep this ship moving forward.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, signfan said:

Why don't we all just bail on the organization for a year and then expect it to still be there when normal life returns?  We're buying $10,000 - $20,000 machines.  Why are we concerned about risking $200 on a season we all want?  If it's a total wash bitch after the fact and I'm sure something will happen at that point (never a full refund, but something more than this).  In the interim buy your pass and give the organization the re-assurance it needs to get on with planning for this season.  Last time I checked new groomers were already being bought and some deliveries have occured with more to come.  Like it or not there is fixed costs to be paid to keep this ship moving forward.

Well said.  

I will buy passes for my four sleds early and hope for a good season.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't bring myself to buy a tag with a closed border.

 

My $400 can towards fuel to go west in stead.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ox said:

I can't bring myself to buy a tag with a closed border.

 

My $400 can towards fuel to go west in stead.

 

 

That's understandable.  This does suck for the US tourists.  Still debating on Quebec passes.  Have just done day passes in the past.  Keep saying next season for seasonal permits.  Will most likely do three day trips again this year to Quebec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

Another way to look at this, in thinking there will be a 2nd wave of this beer flu, is the OFSC thinking that if trails close before, or shortly after  the start of the season, by not giving refunds it can turn into a windfall for them.. HMMMM. lots to ponder about this sport.....:rolleyes:

I don’t think ofsc will bail

on sledders this winter. Most people

can ride from home or trailer a few hours to ride for day, like yourself. Why can’t they groom and keep system open. Mto can plow roads after all, ofsc can keep system going no doubt. If funds are there, should be no excuse to close early unless weather doesn’t co-operate. 
Cheers to a good season in NCDN. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

Another way to look at this, in thinking there will be a 2nd wave of this beer flu, is the OFSC thinking that if trails close before, or shortly after  the start of the season, by not giving refunds it can turn into a windfall for them.. HMMMM. lots to ponder about this sport.....:rolleyes:

second wave or not, once we get into the colder months, cold and flu season, no one will be able to discern from covid, cold, flu, hay fever, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc... we are not done with the unknown, lock downs, closures, cancellations, etc... 

 

Ski  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, signfan said:

Why don't we all just bail on the organization for a year and then expect it to still be there when normal life returns?  We're buying $10,000 - $20,000 machines.  Why are we concerned about risking $200 on a season we all want?  If it's a total wash bitch after the fact and I'm sure something will happen at that point (never a full refund, but something more than this).  In the interim buy your pass and give the organization the re-assurance it needs to get on with planning for this season.  Last time I checked new groomers were already being bought and some deliveries have occured with more to come.  Like it or not there is fixed costs to be paid to keep this ship moving forward.

Well said and thanks, I totally agree, The answer I did get yesterday in response to a question that was asked is, There will not be refunds of trail passes in the event that trails do not open, There is a ton of expenses that are spent long before the trails even open as we all know. I will be buying our two trail passes and likely Quebec passes this winter in some form and make the best of what happens.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I've always found that the trail permit was the least of all my sledding costs ..... a fixed cost of $190 is nothing really IMO 

 

just add up the cost cost of gong away sledding for a weekend, gas for your truck, cocktails, meals, more beer, lodging, & yea more beer + misc expenses  +++

 

cheers 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nunz said:

Well said and thanks, I totally agree, The answer I did get yesterday in response to a question that was asked is, There will not be refunds of trail passes in the event that trails do not open, There is a ton of expenses that are spent long before the trails even open as we all know. I will be buying our two trail passes and likely Quebec passes this winter in some form and make the best of what happens.

Yeah that reply makes sense.  If it is a total wash OFSC better be on the insurer for a large refund.  There is so many other moving parts here as well.  Will be a busy year for the OFSC treasurer.  There is no way anything else could be stated at this time.  Final decisions could never be made until the spring after the fact.  It is what it is.  Get your permits and hope for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 12:18 PM, gobills said:

I'll buy early, but im disappointed with the ofsc in keeping the classic permit at 1999.

Why is this like that?   MInes a 2001 and was hoping someday it would be a classic(sarcasm) and I could buy a classic permit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I recall correctly, the volunteers running the organization made the decision at the AGM two or three years ago to change from a 20 year to a 25 year requirement for the Classic Trail Pass. This requires a five year phase-in period.

Edited by Blake G
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nunz said:

Well said and thanks, I totally agree, The answer I did get yesterday in response to a question that was asked is, There will not be refunds of trail passes in the event that trails do not open, There is a ton of expenses that are spent long before the trails even open as we all know. I will be buying our two trail passes and likely Quebec passes this winter in some form and make the best of what happens.

Thanks that was answer that I expected. I see no reason why trails can’t open this winter. Might take abit longer with smaller groups of volunteers etc. As long as Mother Nature co-operates and land permission is good, ofsc should be able to work with clubs and keep trails open and maintained for expected surge of riders this winter. Our big chance to grow sport for a change. Be interesting to see how early permit sales go. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trail work is starting up and I can't wait to get out and prep the trails for this season. September 1st early bird is a bonus for me, I have a lot of empties to return from the past 6 mths, permit or more beer? 

 

Most of us on here are diehards, volunteers. There will be riding this winter, if Covid rears its ugly head, I think as a Province we are better prepared for it. It may just mean closer to home for most of us. 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Thanks that was answer that I expected. I see no reason why trails can’t open this winter. Might take abit longer with smaller groups of volunteers etc. As long as Mother Nature co-operates and land permission is good, ofsc should be able to work with clubs and keep trails open and maintained for expected surge of riders this winter. Our big chance to grow sport for a change. Be interesting to see how early permit sales go. 

Additional volunteers are always needed and welcomed to get the trails ready.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...