Sled Insurance - 2019-2020 Season

Dan-Senior

I paid $725 from Desjardins for my 2020 850 XRS which was a bit disappointing.    I do pay a bit extra and get $2M of liability and full coverage.  

I dont think thats a good deal at all.   

13 hours ago, scottyr said:

I paid $725 from Desjardins for my 2020 850 XRS which was a bit disappointing.    I do pay a bit extra and get $2M of liability and full coverage.  

I dont think thats a good deal at all.   

Not bad but TD won’t do 2 million on a sled either, so not allot of choice. ATVs are cheap in comparison at about 350 a year for full coverage and 2 million liability included, from my farm insurance broker. But my atv isn’t valued at 18k either. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

March 2019 my beloved 06 Mach Z succumbed to the dreaded Rotax 1000 SDI virus at 8000 kms.  I did every upgrade the internet had to offer to make her last, to no avail. I had her for about 10 years, never in 20 years with TD have I had a claim on anything. Sport bikes, lots of other sleds. I cancelled the insurance as she was sold to another loving home.

Mid summer I found another 06 Mach Z for a really, really good price. Love can override good judgement lol.

Waited until November when my snow tractor insurance came due and called TD.

Yah, no, we won't insure it..? Whadda ya mean no? I've had the exact same machine insured with you for 10 years without claim? WTF..

Seems they have new underwriters...they won't insure that machine anymore.

Someone needs (or not) to tell them 185hp is no longer the level for speed demon status. 

Went to Co-op..my main insurer for everything else I have. Home, business, vehicles etc...I hand them a pretty fat cheque every year.

Shaved a hundred bucks off each sled, problem solved...but I was pretty pissed at the time.

Edited by vooodooo

• 5 months later...

I got my renewal from Desjardins in the mail today for $726 and thought I would make a couple of calls.    The Personal Rep told me that they are now only taking new business from people who are part of their groups and that I should just call their sister company, Desjardins.    TD can f-off.   I wont use them if they were half the price of Desjardins.   

6 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Just saying. On my viper I had to insure it as a 700 cc Yamaha sx to get a decent rate. The second I mention word viper, they barely wanted to talk to me. 

When i insure my vehicles i have to give the vin. The insurance company knows what trim level or engine my sled or vehicles are.:wtf:. If you ever have to make a claim don't be surprised your insurance company doesn't pay cause you lied to them on your info.They look for anyway not to pay.Just my 02 cents...

Edited by snowchopper
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

When i insure my vehicles i have to give the vin. The insurance company knows what trim level or engine my sled or vehicles are.:wtf:. If you ever have to make a claim don't be surprised your insurance company doesn't pay cause you lied to them on your info.They look for anyway not to pay.Just my 02 cents...

Same here. Vin number for everything and I have shopped out everything the last 2 years. Moved ATV to The Personal as well. My wife is part of the group rate.  Good to know the sister company though 

11 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

The VIN spells out everything to them. Only tell Ins what they ask, nothing more. The can only try to decline if you modified it from what the factory says it has based on the VIN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowchopper said:

I always gave them vin too and whatever else they asked. Just left word viper out.

it was still an sx Yamaha 700 . 800 a year that way or 2200 with viper as

model. That was during the time it was hard to get insurance on certain models because of names. Mach, formula, vipers and a few others were on high insurance list that no one, but a fidelity insurance company would touch. It was ridiculous to be honest. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Things to remember.

1. Let the Insurance company ask the questions

2. Answer the questions truthfully - if you choose to provide un-truthful answers or mislead - then don't complain when there is an issue

3. Price isn't everything - it's about the BEST COVERAGE for the best price - make sure you are comparing apples to apples when canvassing for price

• Like 1

the only way to get the price down for my coverage was to update them of the replacement cost for the machine, every couple of year I let them know when its approx. value is retail and they adjust it based on that.

I've been insured with TD on 3 sleds for almost 15 years. I have adjusted the insured values every year to keep rates in check. this year the rates looked high. My insurance agent for property, home & car asked me last spring to give him a chance to quote on the sleds. Last week I gave him a copy of the TD coverages with $ removed. 

He gave me a quote on same coverages for both sleds. I saved over $300.00 through my agent and a local mutual Insurance Company compared to TD's price..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

the only way to get the price down for my coverage was to update them of the replacement cost for the machine, every couple of year I let them know when its approx. value is retail and they adjust it based on that.

Been doing this for a long time now, not every year though.....actually did it last year, that lowered my rate.

11 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I've been insured with TD on 3 sleds for almost 15 years. I have adjusted the insured values every year to keep rates in check. this year the rates looked high. My insurance agent for property, home & car asked me last spring to give him a chance to quote on the sleds. Last week I gave him a copy of the TD coverages with $ removed. 

He gave me a quote on same coverages for both sleds. I saved over $300.00 through my agent and a local mutual Insurance Company compared to TD's price..

I have tried a couple of times other insurance companies I use, and usually more so do not change.

As spidy said though, are the two policies apples to apples, never really dug that far into it.

We have been with TD for our sled coverage for a while. Never had any issues. I called around locally when i picked up the new 2021 XRS, and one was was almost double what me and Mrs. Turbo Doos premiums are with TD. Um, no thanks. We are sticking with TD, for now....

I have not received my renewal policy as of yet, however, my crystal ball says the price is going up.  I'm with TD.

I spoke today with TD. Twenty-two minutes waiting for an agent, then ten minutes to update my sleds.

Twenty-two minutes was almost long enough to hang up and look for another alternative.

13 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I spoke today with TD. Twenty-two minutes waiting for an agent, then ten minutes to update my sleds.

Twenty-two minutes was almost long enough to hang up and look for another alternative.

I experienced the same Blake. Did you get the, ' we are experiencing a high volume of calls right now, blah blah blah, but dont worry, your call is important to us'..:banghead:...

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

Took me 3 times and 45 minutes each time, (hung up after 45 the first 2)  I let the TD advisor know that i thought that it was not acceptable and might be enough for me to look for a local broker

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

I experienced the same Blake. Did you get the, ' we are experiencing a high volume of calls right now, blah blah blah, but dont worry, your call is important to us'..:banghead:...

That’s not bad guys. Try calling Rogers. Been on hold for over an hour before. Then when I finally get someone phone drops call and have to do it all over again. 

2 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Indeed.

I hung up after 20 minutes yesterday because I had other priorities. Today I made sure I had busywork on hand so the wait wasn't a total waste. 

• Like 1