Throttle thumb

SRXChris

When for a decent ride today but got the dreaded arm pump/throttle thumb after awhile,  being 44 I'm not the same as when I was young but I try.  It gets better as season wears on and here's some stuff Ive done to combat it but it's still there on the bumpy long trails.

Adjusted position of throttle and lubed cable, smaller gloves and avoiding the moguls.  Sled is a triple carbed Yamaha so the throttle is stiff, I know EFI sleds are easier on the thumb but not in the budget this year.

Wondering if anyone has used those compression style thumb gloves or any other tricks.  Thanks for looking.

I used to get arm pump in my forearms pretty bad on my srx when I had it. Breathing is very important! Keeps the blood flowin. Lol

no arm pump whatsoever on these newer 4 strokes, but usually the first and second ride out the thumb gets a little stiff, after that I’m good to go. 

I cut the throttle slide return springs shorter on my 670. Between the ultra long springs and the heavy brass slides, it was all but unrideable. Very reasonable now.

The downside? If the machine flips, the springs are no longer capable of closing the throttle. Not that I tried, but its a potential safety issue. 

so dumb question... if so many have a problem with throttle thumb how come the manufacturers don't use something different. Twist grip like on motorcycles? Motocross riders go overall kinds of bumps and jumps. Or perhaps something similar to the brake lever where all four fingers can provide the throttle leverage.

I have yet to find a kit for my particular sled. If I could, I'd be all over it. I really find it a bother to grip a bar without my opposed 5th digit, a task for which it was expressly designed.

I loosen the throttle block, or whatever it's called, so it is just barely moveable on the bar. From time to time I pivot it around to change my grip.

My new 900 ace you can twist the thumb lever forward without tools and use your fingers .

While were kind of on the subject, does anyone know of some kind of different brake lever setup? My dad is missing his ring finger and his pinky finger doesn't work. He plays it off but I know he doesn't want to go on long rides due to how sore his left hand gets.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

so dumb question... if so many have a problem with throttle thumb how come the manufacturers don't use something different. Twist grip like on motorcycles? Motocross riders go overall kinds of bumps and jumps. Or perhaps something similar to the brake lever where all four fingers can provide the throttle leverage.

I think it was an issue with twist grips having a larger tendency to freeze up

How about installing a second throttle lever on the left....I think there are kits out there that can accommodate this.

Personally I found the biggest issue for fatigue were gloves that were too thick or rigid, the thinner molded ones seem to be best, or try a pair of really good muffs and some really thin gloves....those Ski-Doo muffs look pretty sharp & apparently toasty warm.

10 hours ago, Poo Man said:

While were kind of on the subject, does anyone know of some kind of different brake lever setup? My dad is missing his ring finger and his pinky finger doesn't work. He plays it off but I know he doesn't want to go on long rides due to how sore his left hand gets.

Years ago, one of my friends dad only had a right arm & he snowmobiled. He was pretty good handy man & made a foot applied brake for his left foot. It worked well.

9 hours ago, stoney said:

How about installing a second throttle lever on the left....I think there are kits out there that can accommodate this.

Personally I found the biggest issue for fatigue were gloves that were too thick or rigid, the thinner molded ones seem to be best, or try a pair of really good muffs and some really thin gloves....those Ski-Doo muffs look pretty sharp & apparently toasty warm.

X2

Gave up on wasting money on expensive gloves and mitts. Put on the muffs and now wear mechanics gloves or light ski gloves. Better heat transfer from the bars and no sore hands from fighting the thickness of the heavily insulated gloves.

If you can get gloves that have a thin palm and heavier back they work great if you don't want to go the muff route.

13 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Check out Accellerated Technologies FB page, they just completed a right hand brake lever install for a buddy of mine who has left hand mobility issues

Thanks for the replies.    I've thought about the left hand or a pull throttle but hopefully won't have to go that way,  and buying another sled is out of the question for this year.  Wife hates this one so convincing her to buy another will not go in my favor.  She has no sympathy for my sore body:mellow:.    I know once I can ride more it will get better but always looking for any tips or tricks from the experienced

4 hours ago, Crow said:

X2

Gave up on wasting money on expensive gloves and mitts. Put on the muffs and now wear mechanics gloves or light ski gloves. Better heat transfer from the bars and no sore hands from fighting the thickness of the heavily insulated gloves.

Im with Crow bought muffs 3 years ago and haven't paid more then 15 bucks for a set of mechanics gloves since. Hands are always toasty warm and less fatigued. Always carry a set of snowmobile gloves with me in cae of a breakdown

4 hours ago, BoonerBP said:

Check out Accellerated Technologies FB page, they just completed a right hand brake lever install for a buddy of mine who has left hand mobility issues

Thanks I'll check it out 

Can anyone recommend a good muff to mount on a SRX?  I have lots of mechanics gloves and the bar and thumb warmers work very well so willing to try that route for sure. 

The Doo semi rigid ones with the clear window are really nice and fit most sleds. I love mine. 

37 minutes ago, SRXChris said:

Can anyone recommend a good muff to mount on a SRX?  I have lots of mechanics gloves and the bar and thumb warmers work very well so willing to try that route for sure. 

Page 278 in the Royal catalogue has a variety of muffs, including heated ones, which IMHO are overkill!

I use the Pro-X ones listed there, and so does a friend who rides an SRX

Muffs and thin gloves are the way to go imo.  I tried many different gloves then went to muffs and fleece glove and never cold.  Even minus 50 riding!  I struggled with cold hands for years.

They don’t use twist throttles on snowmobiles because “they are more prone to freezing”. Basically for liability and insurance reasons, be careful also when modifying any machine at all, if there’s an incident your insurance may not pay. Best to check your policies fine print, and try not to modify anything! It’s quite alright to change parts, but it should be left the way it was engineered by manufacturers

44mm roundslides, ouch! Been there

The issue is tendons snap and release back into the groove in your forearm which really tightens up and causes the pain. Massage the area just in front of your elbow down to mid arm on the top and bottom right beside the grooves ( where the tendons slide ) Any hardened tough muscle in there is in adhesion and you need to break that up to rid yourself of this recurring problem. Fare warning, this hurts like hell and takes a while. I had the carp/tunnel so bad once I could barely shake hands with anyone without serious pain which is when i finally sought a solution. Docs wanted to cut me up, I did my own research and no surgery needed and now no pain at all and tons of strength back.

Funny the twist throttle. I had one on a RV chassis 7500 Blizard I bought off a motocross rider who had converted it. I rode a lot of dirt bikes too but I didnt care for it much on a sled. Makes body English moves a lot more difficult to do without rolling off throttle

On 12/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, SRXChris said:

When for a decent ride today but got the dreaded arm pump/throttle thumb after awhile,  being 44 I'm not the same as when I was young but I try.  It gets better as season wears on and here's some stuff Ive done to combat it but it's still there on the bumpy long trails.

Adjusted position of throttle and lubed cable, smaller gloves and avoiding the moguls.  Sled is a triple carbed Yamaha so the throttle is stiff, I know EFI sleds are easier on the thumb but not in the budget this year.

Wondering if anyone has used those compression style thumb gloves or any other tricks.  Thanks for looking.

I have a customer who put his throttle assembly on upside down so now he runs his throttle like a break lever kind of hinky but he is happy 

Archived