Frostbite and helmets

signfan

Encountered an issue last week.  Leaving La Tuque Friday morning it was -27 out.  I've been having issues with my helmet and drafts in it lately and I actually ended up with frozen skin on my face and nose.  It is peeling now like a sunburn does.  So nothing too serious, but it has me questioning my helmet selection.  I have a BRP EXO-400.  Last winter we bought helmet communicators.  They are great, but my mic kept freezing as it was mounted on the breathe deflector and constantly got wet from my breathe.  So this fall I decided to try placing the mic behind the breath deflector.  This solved the frozen mic issue and I can still be heard clearly, but it's messed up how the air travels through the helmet directing air up from below into my face and nose.  Gonna play with it again to see if I can find another spot so the breathe deflector can sit bsck in its original location.  If not wondering what everyone is finding works for a good cold weather helmet.  Is the BVS2 the way to go?   If so wondering where I will be able to put the communicator mic in that helmet.

im using BRP's modular 3 & wear a balaclava , I always keep the air vent open .... no issues with frost bite .. coldest temps so far were -24

not sure how a communicator would work with the mod 3

cheers

i recently bought the CKX Titan, this is what i got frostbite with on my face.  I was at the store and the sales rep right from kimpex showed me how to wear the helmet.  Well i tried that and got frostbite.  It took one of my friend to show me the right way to wear it without the cold weather barrier.  Once i did this it was great.  A little fiddly with the mouth piece when its really cold out but its a nice fit and much lighter than my previous helmet.

im not sure how it will be with you communicator.  The BVSs seems to be the warmest helmet out there.

10 minutes ago, gobills said:

i recently bought the CKX Titan, this is what i got frostbite with on my face.  I was at the store and the sales rep right from kimpex showed me how to wear the helmet.  Well i tried that and got frostbite.  It took one of my friend to show me the right way to wear it without the cold weather barrier.  Once i did this it was great.  A little fiddly with the mouth piece when its really cold out but its a nice fit and much lighter than my previous helmet.

im not sure how it will be with you communicator.  The BVSs seems to be the warmest helmet out there.

Did you take the neoprene nose guard off and use the rubber one that goes over the goggles? I think that helps a bit. I wear the klim arctic balaclava with the titan. 

My Modular 3 is ok for air intrusion but you must wear a quality balaclava. I use the UnWind brand we sell, very windproof and fairly warm. 

I'm always cold but can tolerate -30 weather now.  Note that I had to upgrade to the tall windshield on my XS REV sled to get some wind off my shoulders, now the air hits me mid-shield. A bit noisy but the shield never fogs (not electric) and never EVER got near frostbite danger.

1 hour ago, reevester said:

Did you take the neoprene nose guard off and use the rubber one that goes over the goggles? I think that helps a bit. I wear the klim arctic balaclava with the titan. 

X2

Always carry Vaseline, when temps get close to -30, start smearing in on to seal moisture in to your skin.

21 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

X2

Always carry Vaseline, when temps get close to -30, start smearing in on to seal moisture in to your skin.

X3 Vaseline or duct tape.  I found out LONG TIME AGO that duct tape is a great tool to not only prevent frost bite.  It also medicates it.  I know you think I'm crazy.  Maybe a bit, but I learned that lesson when it was -42 in New Liskeard.  Diane Breault from the Breault Inn told me that one.  Used it ever since.   Well....................................................except last Wednesday.  LOL  I have frostbite on my nose.  Peeling like crazy.  Now I'm using Aloe and Vaseline.  Yeehaw

although some frostbite can be attributed to helmet design, most frostbite is caused from poor selection of materials for balaclavas. klim arctic and glaciers are expensive but, hard to beat for wind, cold protection. they have built in breath box, so no more need for those in a helmet.

its like a trail permit, seems expensive but, with what you have invested, it is worth it to spend the money on it, as you will get the use out of it.

you must have a balaclava with windstopper materials or you are fighting a losing battle. also, you have to have a way for the heat, moisture, ect.. from your breathing to escape the helmet... packing the helmet air tight, creates fogging in the helmet. there is a happy medium for enough ventilation, too much, and not enough. you have to find that happy spot. it takes time but, the above balaclavas, reduce the learning curve.

stop buying 10.00 balaclavas, and invest in something that will last you for years . 

Ski

5 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

although some frostbite can be attributed to helmet design, most frostbite is caused from poor selection of materials for balaclavas. klim arctic and glaciers are expensive but, hard to beat for wind, cold protection. its like a trail permit, seems expensive but, with what you have invested, it is worth it to spend the money on it, as you will get the use out of it.

you must have a balaclava with windstopper materials or you are fighting a losing battle.

stop buying 10.00 balaclavas, and invest in something that will last you for years . 

Ski

Or some DUMB folks like myself, didn't wear the balclava and took out the nose piece.  LOL

3 hours ago, signfan said:

Encountered an issue last week.  Leaving La Tuque Friday morning it was -27 out.  I've been having issues with my helmet and drafts in it lately and I actually ended up with frozen skin on my face and nose.  It is peeling now like a sunburn does.  So nothing too serious, but it has me questioning my helmet selection.  I have a BRP EXO-400.  Last winter we bought helmet communicators.  They are great, but my mic kept freezing as it was mounted on the breathe deflector and constantly got wet from my breathe.  So this fall I decided to try placing the mic behind the breath deflector.  This solved the frozen mic issue and I can still be heard clearly, but it's messed up how the air travels through the helmet directing air up from below into my face and nose.  Gonna play with it again to see if I can find another spot so the breathe deflector can sit bsck in its original location.  If not wondering what everyone is finding works for a good cold weather helmet.  Is the BVS2 the way to go?   If so wondering where I will be able to put the communicator mic in that helmet.

UA makes a very nice balaclava for about 35 bucks.

10 hours ago, reevester said:

Yes i now wear it with the mouth piece over the goggles much better.  Also will be carrying vaseline when its that cold again.  I have the Klim Balaclava as well and love it.  Super comfy and protects your chest a bit because its so long.

BRP modular with balaclava my chose, year ago it was proved on RAP tour when temperature was -38C in a morning and we ride open windy trail under Hydro line. My partners with regular helmet and heated windshield was fail . Also I mentioned on my wife's BV2S helmet breathing valves become frozen if temperature lower -25C  and create frost on windshield. So I'm thinking twice before I will change my helmet.   

1 hour ago, andreyboater said:

BRP modular with balaclava my chose, year ago it was proved on RAP tour when temperature was -38C in a morning and we ride open windy trail under Hydro line. My partners with regular helmet and heated windshield was fail . Also I mentioned on my wife's BV2S helmet breathing valves become frozen if temperature lower -25C  and create frost on windshield. So I'm thinking twice before I will change my helmet.   

Bv2s works great if you take out the middle valve. We had issues with ours in cold weather, since taking out that little valve in nose cone piece, it is easier to breath too. 

11 hours ago, reevester said:

Don't they say to use the neoprene one in colder temps?

3 hours ago, andreyboater said:

I go with the BRP modular as well. It's been great for me. The coldest we were ever out was -29 and there was a bit of "leakage" of cold air into the helmet at higher speeds but not much at all. Just to be safe from the small leakage I put on the cheek and neck warmer that comes with the helmet. I always wear a light balaclava under the helmet. In many ways I use the balaclava more to keep the inside of the helmet clean rather than to keep warm. The BRP modular comes with a light neoprene neck and cheek protector that fits over the breather portion for use in  cold weather. The breather unit has vent tubes that exhaust warm breath out the sides of the helmet. Those tubes fit through openings in the cheek and neck protector so that they are integrated together. You can see the "wings" that come up either side to about the same as the outer corners of your eyes. That took care of the very slight seepage that seemed to be sneaking in at the bottom edge of the face shield when traveling at higher speeds that day. Typically I usually have the small vent in the front jaw of the helmet open. I don't use a heated shield. I know some people swear by them however one of my riding buddies had his heated shield quit on him a long way from home. He immediately started fogging up. It was a very long very cold ride home for him and he did get some frost bite and that wasn't a -29 day.

Capture1.JPG.21eaa3039508727fdd5fabf81387e3ce.JPGCapture1.JPG.9b3a0e2039701b5996691ff805871158.JPG

3 hours ago, 04nightfire said:

Don't they say to use the neoprene one in colder temps?

Yeah they do. I have the neoprene one on and it seems fine to -25. Have the rubber one in the tank bag just in case. Just stopped on the hill in north bay for a piss. Should be in KL in a couple hours. :evil2:

22 minutes ago, reevester said:

Yeah they do. I have the neoprene one on and it seems fine to -25. Have the rubber one in the tank bag just in case. Just stopped on the hill in north bay for a piss. Should be in KL in a couple hours. :evil2:

Have a good ride.  KL is where the good snow starts.

5 hours ago, signfan said:

I have a good Klim balaclava.  Brand new.  

just because you have a "klim" one doesn't mean it is the windstopper version (arctic, or glacier), that we are describing to you. all balaclavas, name brand sharing or not, are not created equal.

for example, you state face and nose were frost bit. the arctic and glacier balaclavas, leave no exposed skin except for the opening for the eyes (think goggle pocket). the remainder of the skin is covered, and it has a neck gaiter, and built in breath box. Ski

7 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

just because you have a "klim" one doesn't mean it is the windstopper version (arctic, or glacier), that we are describing to you. all balaclavas, name brand sharing or not, are not created equal.

for example, you state face and nose were frost bit. the arctic and glacier balaclavas, leave no exposed skin except for the opening for the eyes (think goggle pocket). the remainder of the skin is covered, and it has a neck gaiter, and built in breath box. Ski

Ski,

After reading what you were using a few years ago I bought 4 of the Klim arctic version balaclavas.  My son uses his for ice fishing also and adds a hat.

Paige and I rode several weeks ago in the -40 C temps and had no issues.  They almost seem too thin, but no wind gets through them.

They are worth the $.

Yes they are worth the money.  Not cheap by any means and I though wow this is really thin for the money.  After figuring out the new helmet with the balclava I love it.

I think the specified ones say wind stopper as stated  by ski right on the package. 

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

Have a good ride.  KL is where the good snow starts.

Good from the top of hill to Latchford. Thin in NL but could manage with scratchers. If they get a couple inches and it doesn't blow away, it will be good to start from in a week or less. 

Domino introduced me to UNWIND balaclavas. 

They are perfect - fit, wind stopping material and durable.

I'm probably going into year 4. I'd imagine some people will use theirs for years and years.

Question re Bv2s helmet - I'm going on year 4 without an electric shield. Minus 30 is a bit chilly but no frostbite.

Is there a neopreme attachment for warmth?

Thx for Vaseline suggestion. Cold weekend ahead. I know Denis...minus 21 is Bermuda shorts weather up there.  :-P

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I go with the BRP modular as well. It's been great for me. The coldest we were ever out was -29 and there was a bit of "leakage" of cold air into the helmet at higher speeds but not much at all. Just to be safe from the small leakage I put on the cheek and neck warmer that comes with the helmet. I always wear a light balaclava under the helmet. In many ways I use the balaclava more to keep the inside of the helmet clean rather than to keep warm. The BRP modular comes with a light neoprene neck and cheek protector that fits over the breather portion for use in  cold weather. The breather unit has vent tubes that exhaust warm breath out the sides of the helmet. Those tubes fit through openings in the cheek and neck protector so that they are integrated together. You can see the "wings" that come up either side to about the same as the outer corners of your eyes. That took care of the very slight seepage that seemed to be sneaking in at the bottom edge of the face shield when traveling at higher speeds that day. Typically I usually have the small vent in the front jaw of the helmet open. I don't use a heated shield. I know some people swear by them however one of my riding buddies had his heated shield quit on him a long way from home. He immediately started fogging up. It was a very long very cold ride home for him and he did get some frost bite and that wasn't a -29 day.

Capture1.JPG.21eaa3039508727fdd5fabf81387e3ce.JPGCapture1.JPG.9b3a0e2039701b5996691ff805871158.JPG

If a heated shield quits, in our experience 90% of the time it is the cord. Carry a spare and it's no problem. 

23 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If a heated shield quits, in our experience 90% of the time it is the cord. Carry a spare and it's no problem. 

In my experience its been about 50% cord, and 50% blown fuse, caused by cord becoming accidentally disconnected from helmet, and shorting out on the running board. When the latter happened on my 14 zr9000 Cat (twice) the fuse was easy to replace, on my 16 SkiDoo Enduro, I had to get a dealer to replace the fuse. The solution for the first problem is to carry a couple of spare cords at all times. The solution for the second problem is to loosely wrap the cord around the handlebar so it cannot dangle as far as the running board.

Archived