Snow?

Bigdaddy63250

Just now, Bigdaddy63250 said:

Looks pretty dry for this coming week.  No systems coming from anywhere.  Depressing to say the least.  

We need cold things are starting to tighten up as snow settles and gets packed. Swamps snd lakes need a chance to make some ice or we will be running roads to get around the lakes this year. 

There is hardly any snow in the 14 day even way up north.   I have rooms booked in Cochrane on the 16th/17th weekend and I am tempted to push my reservation back another week in hopes that they get some more snow.    

1 minute ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Lakes are getting slushy big time in the PS area!

Muskoka wide open!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Lakes are getting slushy big time in the PS area!

I was down Mactier way yesterday and not far from the Cove sits a large lonely plastic culvert on which the trail usually runs in a swamp in three feet of unfrozen water. Uggg.

7 hours ago, scottyr said:

There is hardly any snow in the 14 day even way up north.   I have rooms booked in Cochrane on the 16th/17th weekend and I am tempted to push my reservation back another week in hopes that they get some more snow.    

I even worse, we  booked 3 rooms at  Deep river to ride on East side of Algonquin for same weekend, look like not gonna happen. 

7 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Looks like. Lots of snow in Cochrane 

I think the snow is really spotty.    Timmins is no where close to opening yet and the SRF Club said they are a long ways from opening up the A trail between Cochrane and Moonbeam.    I dont want to drive 800kms each way to ride in circles.  

• Like 1

I’ve also noticed that srf has not opened much. Is this bc it’s a boundary between health units, or the fact they don’t have enough snow? Weird how things on either side are shaping up nicely. That being said, does this mean everyone is carrying on as normal riding right through SRF on closed trails?

15 minutes ago, T bird said:

I’ve also noticed that srf has not opened much. Is this bc it’s a boundary between health units, or the fact they don’t have enough snow? Weird how things on either side are shaping up nicely. That being said, does this mean everyone is carrying on as normal riding right through SRF on closed trails?

Polar Bear Riders and Kap Snow Rovers,  have a bit more volunteers, and larger populations. SRF also needs the river crossing to be good as well. I am thinking cold, volunteers, and covid is mainly the reasoning. It'll come guys. 

Screenshot_20210105-093319_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Turbo Doo

26 minutes ago, T bird said:

Is this bc it’s a boundary between health units, or the fact they don’t have enough snow?

Timmins, Cochrane, SRF, Kap and Hearst  are all in the same Pocupine Health unit.

health units.gif

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Most all the Northern Clubs are in the same boat....I told Mrs. Turbo Doo,  we should just relocate for the month of February and march to the north..:D

Screenshot_20210105-093749_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210105-093730_Samsung Internet.jpg

I know 4 guys Jeff that have rented a house in La Corne N.W. of V.-D. for Jan./Feb. & Mar.!

Typically snow systems are only mentioned a couple days before they hit..... so there is still hope!
Also lots of areas get little amounts of snow each night that isn’t forecasted vs big dumps of snow, that tend to add up bit by bit and also tends to be better as well for the trails. 

For January, it's been un-seasonably warm all over Ontario - to be blunt, the weather sucks!

Come on already mother nature - give us something please

• Like 1

We have a lot of really good stretched of trail with lots of snow followed by plenty of wide open running water, open swamps, etc. It's frustrating for sure.

Clubs with mostly road based trails are open and doing well. Those of us relying on cold temps are stuck waiting.

As I type this I'm getting messages with "shouldn't the trails be open by now" in them.....argh....

Sudbury trails are about the same. Less than a foot of snow. Anywhere a groomer has been, there are still lots of rocks, branches, etc just under the snow. Even the rail beds have lots of exposed rock areas.  Lots of running water across trails. The end of this week is supposed to cool down so fingers crossed. Need another foot of snow around here and cold.

• Thanks 1

Just a little heads up,  The railbed from Orillia to Coldwater is now open. However,  there is now a re-route that they don't show on the map that will take you road running to get around a section of rail bed that is being worked on.  Rail bed was fantastic on Saturday and the road run wasn't bad but will not be the greatest with the 0 temps and no new snow.  I highlited in black the re-route.1922292561_Railbed.thumb.png.a9b80d36545cfd2d0528764ce07fbea3.png

• Like 2