What's Your Plan

ToSlow

12 hours ago, soupkids said:

Still grass in sudbury

The cutting kind or the smoking kind???:-D

My plan is to have no plan... maintain a heightened sense of available snowmobiling opportunities situational awareness and exploit opportunities as they occur.

Which, when you think about it, is a plan. 

Edited by slomo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bigfish said:

The cutting kind or the smoking kind???:-D

Cutting kind.

I'm thinking this BIG storm they are calling for here is going to do nothing here

2 hours ago, slomo said:

My plan is to have no plan... maintain a heightened sense of available snowmobiling opportunities situational awareness and exploit opportunities as they occur.

Which, when you think about it, is a plan. 

Thats my plan.   I am a Realtor and its fairly easy for me to sneak away for a few days and my dad is 100% retired so I can see the 2 of us making decisions to go sledding with 48hrs notice.   

My problem , if  it's a problem is I do ride with different guys.  Some have way more flexibility than others. Now we also want to include the young ones.  They have their schedules. Some of my buddies are working and some are retired. I'm kinda semi retired :D so my plan is to kinda see where and when there is good snow.  But of course accomodation will be a problem maybe

Edited by volunteer2

Planning on going to Cochrane (westaway) on Monday Jan 18 for 4 nights with my friend, went to Cochrane last year for the first time and had temperatures around 0 to -5 degrees during the day, with the way his NFL football picks have gone this year it should be great 5 days of sledding, he is my good luck charm.

Edited by Muskoka Bill

On 12/10/2020 at 10:04 PM, Blackstar said:

Someone may correct me, but from what I've read on Facebook, the Hillsburgh Snow Roamers have signed a 5 year lease agreement with Credit Valley Conservation and those trails have been put back in place. They have also rerouted from Belwood to Orangeville.

Nothing has been resolved with the GRCA by any club.

From the Snow Roamers Facebook Page.

It’s official.....I have now received the signed the CVC lease which gives us access for this year and for the next four years too!
Please spread the good news and speak positively about the Hillsburgh Snow Roamers with all your felllow riders!

I am hearing the same kind of news.  This one fellow from D4 is working on this and seams to have made some headway. Just too bad GRCA and D9 can't get an agreement 

Hoping the lakes freeze here in Kawartha lakes and Halliburton. Fingers crossed for a couple of trips to Amos or St Zenon. They may be remote enough COVID wise

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Hoping the lakes freeze here in Kawartha lakes and Halliburton. Fingers crossed for a couple of trips to Amos or St Zenon. They may be remote enough COVID wise

Abitibi/Temiscamingue in least restrictive level!

17 hours ago, Btbt said:

My plan too. Booked five days vacation, when conditions are good. Just have to give company  notice  the week before taking time off

Love that plan. That is similar to how I managed sledding the last 5 or 6 years of work. My large company was happy to have people use up vacation in January and February. We were lucky in that 4 to 6 guys could do a similar thing, and we actually got more trips in while we were working than we have most of the years of retirement. Recent years, with more of us retired, we can't get multiple people to agree on the same days to go away and as a result we were sledding less, trying to accommodate some with less commitment to sledding. When 'John' couldn't make it, because someone had to stay home with the dog, and his wife was going to the spa for two days, blah, blah, blah.....that started to get frustrating. So now when the snow and the forecast are good, I announce that I am going sledding in 3 or 4 days "does anyone want to join me". That worked very well last season - always got 2 - 4 others to join. Hoping for a repeat this season. At least that's my plan!

• Like 5

We learned many years ago to go when the core of the group wants to go, and not try to occomidate others. 

Just as you said - "those less dedicated"...

There have been times when "this" weekend looked good for us, but someone else that wanted to go couldn't make that weekend werk asked if we could go the next weekend in stead?

Then when "next" weekend comes, they end up bailing anyhow... and that weekend was not so good for us, but we made it werk...

When possible - I like to schedule around the weather forecast these days.

I've got my "-40*" T-shirt now. Dooing it again and again doesn't really change anything at this point, and my boy can't feel part of his chin from riding at -30*, so ...

11 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

FYI.   St Zenon is one of the most locked down areas in the province.   I love that area, but no way would I go there this season.   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ox said:

We learned many years ago to go when the core of the group wants to go, and not try to occomidate others. 

Just as you said - "those less dedicated"...

There have been times when "this" weekend looked good for us, but someone else that wanted to go couldn't make that weekend werk asked if we could go the next weekend in stead?

Then when "next" weekend comes, they end up bailing anyhow... and that weekend was not so good for us, but we made it werk...

When possible - I like to schedule around the weather forecast these days.

I've got my "-40*" T-shirt now. Dooing it again and again doesn't really change anything at this point, and my boy can't feel part of his chin from riding at -30*, so ...

been doing the weather watching, pick a good time and just GO for at least the last 15  years. we usually pick a window around these events,

christmas-new years, *** mid jan for MLK day, *** mid feb for Vday/presidents day/family day, ***st pattys area of march, ***1st 3 weeks of april...

then we SIT AND WATCH, pick the best 3-7 days, and GO. the group knows, i will go early, or later if the weather dictates, and will pull the plug if travel time is littered with HUGE STORMS, for driving days, or it is -30 or less at night, and doesnt get above +5 Fara...

why burn your vacation, being miserable? 

the last 5-6 years or so, with the house in Dub, we have been taking the whole week after the time change off. gives us longer days, usually warmer weather, and a week to get used to the time change v.s, changing the clocks, and having to get up early for work immediately. :D 

Ski

• Like 4

Zrtkat & Crew looks like we will be riding locally this winter season :-x hopefully we get some snow in Pennsylvania and we can go up to the cabin whenever the snow comes down ,since I am retired this year we can pack up and go anytime . 

Going to miss our trips to Canada this winter but hopefully next winter we can resume our riding and do our normal trips to Quebec and Ontario 

Stay Safe 

Greg

• Like 6

Regarding plans to sled in Northern Ontario, is anyone concerned that there may be a lockdown edict that basically says "southerners stay home". It happened in the spring and the OPP were out on 69 highway near Pointe Au Baril, turning around northbound drivers who didn't live in the Sudbury area or weren't conducting "essential business" in the area. I know Doug Ford doesn't personally support such measures, but I think he could be convinced that he has to 'shut 'er down'.

Is anyone close enough to the OPP to know if such measures are being contemplated now? I have heard third hand that such is the case, but hope not.

32 minutes ago, tricky said:

Regarding plans to sled in Northern Ontario, is anyone concerned that there may be a lockdown edict that basically says "southerners stay home". It happened in the spring and the OPP were out on 69 highway near Pointe Au Baril, turning around northbound drivers who didn't live in the Sudbury area or weren't conducting "essential business" in the area. I know Doug Ford doesn't personally support such measures, but I think he could be convinced that he has to 'shut 'er down'.

Is anyone close enough to the OPP to know if such measures are being contemplated now? I have heard third hand that such is the case, but hope not.

Who told you the OPP were preventing people from travel within Ontario... unless ordered by the province or medical officer of health they don't have that ability. I never heard of it other than something about the Ontario /  Quebec border possibly had some cross province traffic closed.

• Like 2

I think we will have a total lockdown from Boxing Day to Jan 11, just like Quebec.    My buddy is the CEO of our local Hospital Board and he said there is a big push from the Hospitals to close up the Province for 2 weeks over the holidays.   The Premiers office has already announced a press conference for Monday at 1pm.   I am ok with this.   My wife and daughter are RNs and they say that we are in big trouble if we dont get the numbers down asap.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Who told you the OPP were preventing people from travel within Ontario... unless ordered by the province or medical officer of health they don't have that ability. I never heard of it other than something about the Ontario /  Quebec border possibly had some cross province traffic closed.

A student whose permanent home is in the GTA, but goes to school in Sudbury had a hard time convincing the OPP that she lived for the semester in Sudbury, because she understandably hadn't  changed her driver's licence. She was able, on her phone, to find her rental agreement email from her landlord, and only then was she allowed to carry on north. She wasn't the only one stopped. We were told by our medical officer of health to stay home. We were also told not to share a vehicle with people we didn't live with. People were told not to go to their own cottages. There were a lot of rules relaxed in the summer that may be re-introduced. 

5 hours ago, scottyr said:

I think we will have a total lockdown from Boxing Day to Jan 11, just like Quebec.    My buddy is the CEO of our local Hospital Board and he said there is a big push from the Hospitals to close up the Province for 2 weeks over the holidays.   The Premiers office has already announced a press conference for Monday at 1pm.   I am ok with this.   My wife and daughter are RNs and they say that we are in big trouble if we dont get the numbers down asap.   

I hope they lock down for a month would be good then fire things back up jan 26th. I hope the Premier listens to the hospitals this weekend and does the right thing.  I realize its extremely hard for all businesses but no one has ever been through anything like this.  It has to happen for us to slow the spread and save lives.

Edited by gobills
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tricky said:

A student whose permanent home is in the GTA, but goes to school in Sudbury had a hard time convincing the OPP that she lived for the semester in Sudbury, because she understandably hadn't  changed her driver's licence. She was able, on her phone, to find her rental agreement email from her landlord, and only then was she allowed to carry on north. She wasn't the only one stopped. We were told by our medical officer of health to stay home. We were also told not to share a vehicle with people we didn't live with. People were told not to go to their own cottages. There were a lot of rules relaxed in the summer that may be re-introduced. 

I live in Pte au Baril and never seen,heard about or witnessed such a roadblock.The MTO,MNRF,and the Ride follks use it frequently as it is slower traffic and they have space to corral us bad people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gtserider said:

I live in Pte au Baril and never seen,heard about or witnessed such a roadblock.The MTO,MNRF,and the Ride follks use it frequently as it is slower traffic and they have space to corral us bad people.

That is where the incident occurred - where there are only two traffic lanes and the speed limit drops.

province will be locking down starting Dec 24 for 28 days Sudbury south and 14 days north 

read same on 680 news and CTV news kitchener

• Sad 1