First World Problems?

revrnd

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1512737-what-is-up-with-burping-the-gas-tank/

If that's all the OP has to complain about, maybe he should buy a '70 Oly w/ the gas tank up front. I don't think the Old Man had to burp it when he filled it up.

Sometimes I wonder if it's possible to lose IQ points visiting that site?

Are Totally Yamaha & the other brand's forums the same? Or is it an indication of the typical 'doo owner? :rolleyes:

Ain't nothing typical about Doo owners... :nana:

There’s similar posts like that on totallyamaha, I think all forums are like this....

10 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Ain't nothing typical about Doo owners... :nana:

Could be said they are like in Young Frankenstein A. B. Normal perhaps

I must say though, this would be a frustrating annoyance for me. 

Reading the thread, the members justify this poor engineering as a way to leave an air gap for expansion.  I call BS.  A captive air gap cannot allow for expansion, because it is ... 'captive'. 

A simple vent tube moulded into the tank would solve this. 

Imagine if you bought a small car (about the same investment) and had to jump on the back bumper to fill it?

Is it the end of the world, no.  Is it a reason to not buy a 'doo, no.  But is it really good design? Again, no.

JMO.

Top up that tank then let it get warm out. Fuel comes out of the vent tube so no reason for an expansion chamber as it’s vented. I know as I had fuel all over the garage floor a couple of years ago when I had a doo.

Tank is under the seat on the Yamaha's as well.  No burping.

37 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Top up that tank then let it get warm out. Fuel comes out of the vent tube so no reason for an expansion chamber as it’s vented. I know as I had fuel all over the garage floor a couple of years ago when I had a doo.

I had the same thing happen with my Cat. Fill the tank and although I don't push down on the bumper the tank is filled to the neck and you can see it gurgle as air works its way out and the level slowly drops. I refilled it a couple of times after letting it gurgle down and found that standing on the boards and rocking side to side sped up the gurgle. I then put the sled on the trailer and left it for the week with the concept of being ready to ride. Opened up the trailer and found a bunch of gas made it's way out the vent tube and was on the floor of the trailer.

I guess that's why they say in the owners manual to be sure not to overfill the tank.

Yup, Cat does the same thing as the Doo. Best to not fill too much if you’re planning to leave them.

3 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

TY seems to be the exception. We all do whine to some degree but DooTalk takes the cake by far.

I skim thru the topics, but don't dwell on it. Wayyy too many simpleminded questions or topics IMO. There are some decent/knowledgeable posters, the rest tend to drown them out.

9 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Yup, Cat does the same thing as the Doo. Best to not fill too much if you’re planning to leave them.

Now just as a precaution when I park the sleds for a while, particularly if there is going to be fluctuating temperatures, I loosen the gas cap just enough that if there is a build up of air pressure it can find it's way out of the cap rather than possibly forcing gas out the vent tube.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

the sleds that Cat now make for Yamaha all require the burp too

15 minutes ago, barberch said:

the sleds that Cat now make for Yamaha all require the burp too

I don't consider those Yamaha's.  -_-

Everyone is a critic, almost no one designs and builds anything worth buying.

Work the numbers and theres your answer to threads like that. Add in modern day Liberal mentality where you cast blame on anything and everything because your so damn entitled after all? Welcome to our time

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Is your seat heated though? 

33 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Mine is and I never thought I would use it. I guess I bumped it onto low once not realizing it and found myself thinking... this is alright. I have used it a number of times since.

33 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Yes.  What is your point?

Archived