OFSC AGM 2010 Who's Going from OC

The Groomer Guy

Presumably, one of the reasons the location changes, is to make it easier for 'locals' to participate.

Wouldn't it be nice for an OFSC member from Collingwood, Wasaga Beach, Meaford, etc. to click on the OFSC website and see a banner ad advertising that the OFSC AGM is in THEIR community. Perhaps a quick link to details about the event, etc.

The reason it's moved around is to spread the cost of travel around over the years for the clubs/members ...... eg District 17 is over 1700 klm from Districts 1 or 5. Clubs bid on hosting AGM and cost and location are factors in selection of where it will take place.

Lets be realistic .... ok the info is put on the front page of OFSC website and people show up and can't get in because the club/association and venue hosting the event can't acomidate that many people due to fire code or just space or what ever. One step further, we spend the coin for staff or find someone to volunteer to do provincial preregistrations so we have a head count and do our best accommodate the general public at a venue in that area, who don't know about AGM through their local club because they haven't talked to a club member and been told or asked about AGM, or have been to a meeting or read club news letters. (also where in the budget do we take from to do this, mail out and possible wage costs if no volunteer is willing to do it). If you have a chance talk to a club that has hosted a prior AGM and ask them what it all entails and the up front costs associated with hosting AGM. Really where is the benifit in accomidating someone who doesn't have enough communication with his/her own local club to know about AGM to attend, keeping in mind that all a permit buyer has to do attend, is ask his local club reps when and where AGM is if they haven't already read it in a copy of Maintrail or club news letter, or heard about it at a meeting .... fill out reg forumm send it in and go ?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presumably, one of the reasons the location changes, is to make it easier for 'locals' to participate.

Wouldn't it be nice for an OFSC member from Collingwood, Wasaga Beach, Meaford, etc. to click on the OFSC website and see a banner ad advertising that the OFSC AGM is in THEIR community. Perhaps a quick link to details about the event, etc.

The reason it's moved around is to spread the cost of travel around over the years for the clubs/members ...... eg District 17 is over 1700 klm from Districts 1 or 5. Clubs bid on hosting AGM and cost and location are factors in selection of where it will take place.

Lets be realistic .... ok the info is put on the front page of OFSC website and people show up and can't get in because the club/association and venue hosting the event can't acomidate that many people due to fire code or just space or what ever. One step further, we spend the coin for staff or find someone to volunteer to do provincial preregistrations so we have a head count and do our best accommodate the general public at a venue in that area, who don't know about AGM through their local club because they haven't talked to a club member and been told or asked about AGM, or have been to a meeting or read club news letters. (also where in the budget do we take from to do this, mail out and possible wage costs if no volunteer is willing to do it). If you have a chance talk to a club that has hosted a prior AGM and ask them what it all entails and the up front costs associated with hosting AGM. Really where is the benifit in accomidating someone who doesn't have enough communication with his/her own local club to know about AGM to attend, keeping in mind that all a permit buyer has to do attend, is ask his local club reps when and where AGM is if they haven't already read it in a copy of Maintrail or club news letter, or heard about it at a meeting .... fill out reg forumm send it in and go ?

icon_eek.gif OMFG ! icon_eek.gif

Despite the BS that was slung me when he said he's never said a permit buyer cannot or should not attend the AGM we are now back to page what ? page one ? page 2 of this thread with a multitude of (senseless) reasons why the OFSC cannot be more accommodating to it's permit buyers. Holy Jumped Up Jesus Christ ! The more people we can encourage to get involved the better off this sport will be. The more people we can engage, the more the volunteer hours are spread over many. The more diversity we can bring to the organization the more view points we can consider. The more view points we can consider the more the organization will flourish.

A great gift - the ability to doubt, to think difficult thoughts and weigh conflicting options with clarity and subtlety. This gift appears to be absent within the OFSC or, at least, in those that speak most vociferously for it in the forum of 'we've always done it this way'.

My first reaction when I saw Canuck's post was "Great Idea!". Let's get more people involved. The more we can encourage people to get involved, the better.

icon_eek.gif OMFG ! icon_eek.gif

Despite the BS that was slung me when he said he's never said a permit buyer cannot or should not attend the AGM we are now back to page what ? page one ? page 2 of this thread with a multitude of (senseless) reasons why the OFSC cannot be more accommodating to it's permit buyers. Holy Jumped Up Jesus Christ ! The more people we can encourage to get involved the better off this sport will be. The more people we can engage, the more the volunteer hours are spread over many. The more diversity we can bring to the organization the more view points we can consider. The more view points we can consider the more the organization will flourish.

A great gift - the ability to doubt, to think difficult thoughts and weigh conflicting options with clarity and subtlety. This gift appears to be absent within the OFSC or, at least, in those that speak most vociferously for it in the forum of 'we've always done it this way'.

My first reaction when I saw Canuck's post was "Great Idea!". Let's get more people involved. The more we can encourage people to get involved, the better.

Funny thing is with all those years of your involvement and club and OFSC knowledge you'd think you'd know it was once done the way you are mentioning, but didn't work out like people expected and permit dollars were wasted along with peoples time.

Whats wrong with pre-registering so we know how many are attending and know what size of venue we need, I'm also sure everyone would like a copy of the annual budget and members motions and amendments they are voting and/or voicing an amendment in their hand so they know what's going on. It'd also be nice to know who's going to what workshop and seminar and how many, so we can have the tools they need ready to go wouldn't it ? A glass of water and a chair for the 2 8 to 10 hour days of business would also be nice.

I have an idea, lets just do an open air concert type venue at Downsview park, and pass bullhorns around, and put the budget and motions up on a big screen :rotflmao:

Whats wrong with pre-registering so we know how many are attending and know what size of venue we need, I'm also sure everyone would like a copy of the annual budget and members motions and amendments they are voting and/or voicing an amendment in their hand so they know what's going on. It'd also be nice to know who's going to what workshop and seminar and how many, so we can have the tools they need ready to go wouldn't it ? A glass of water and a chair for the 2 8 to 10 hour days of business would also be nice.

Great Idea ! Nothing at all wrong with pre-registering. And pre-booking at workshops etc. And nothing at all wrong with having an open AGM to all permit members to hear the business of Snowmobiling but voting restricted along the lines of the current bylaws. Let's make it easy (see page one of this 5 page thread) to pre-register.

One of the things that could encourage addtional attendance and greater participation would be (at a minimum) some information on the OFSC website about when and where the darn AGM is (please see page one of this 5 page thread). This would make it easier than it is today to register. AND, it may encourage greater particpation which would better share the burden of volunteerism.

Great Idea ! Nothing at all wrong with pre-registering. And pre-booking at workshops etc. And nothing at all wrong with having an open AGM to all permit members to hear the business of Snowmobiling but voting restricted along the lines of the current bylaws. Let's make it easy (see page one of this 5 page thread) to pre-register.

One of the things that could encourage addtional attendance and greater participation would be (at a minimum) some information on the OFSC website about when and where the darn AGM is (please see page one of this 5 page thread). This would make it easier than it is today to register. AND, it may encourage greater particpation which would better share the burden of volunteerism.

Nutter, Thats what we were saying in the first place! Frig man! Re-read the thread.

Everyone should be able to attend just not have to go through 50 hoops to be there! :rolleyes:

Everyone should be able to attend just not have to go through 50 hoops to be there! :rolleyes:

Well, you see, old Joe there down in D7 still uses the crank telephone. If 50 hoops is good enough for Joe, it ought to be good enough for you. :) These threads are funny because everyone is arguing for the exact same thing.

Nutter, Thats what we were saying in the first place! Frig man! Re-read the thread.

Well, you see, old Joe there down in D7 still uses the crank telephone. If 50 hoops is good enough for Joe, it ought to be good enough for you. :) These threads are funny because everyone is arguing for the exact same thing.

50 hoops = get AGM registration from local club, association or district, or have one of them e-mail one to you ... 50 hoops :rotflmao:

50 hoops = get AGM registration from local club, association or district, or have one of them e-mail one to you ... 50 hoops :rotflmao:

To be fair, it took several pages worth of posts in this thread to finally have a club reveal the location of the event. That has got to be worth 20 hoops alone. ;)

I understand that it was likely just a mistake that it was not revealed earlier, and we certainly cannot fault anyone for a mistake. Everyone makes them. You just have to understand from our point of view, the conversation sounded like this: "Everyone is welcome to register for the AGM event, but if you do not already know where it is, you are not welcome." It is just confusing to read posts of that nature when it is in stark contrast to what the OFSC stands for.

To be fair, it took several pages worth of posts in this thread to finally have a club reveal the location of the event. That has got to be worth 20 hoops alone. ;)

I understand that it was likely just a mistake that it was not revealed earlier, and we certainly cannot fault anyone for a mistake. Everyone makes them. You just have to understand from our point of view, the conversation sounded like this: "Everyone is welcome to register for the AGM event, but if you do not already know where it is, you are not welcome." It is just confusing to read posts of that nature when it is in stark contrast to what the OFSC stands for.

20 hoops .... :rotflmao: Check post # 8 reply to first time location was asked in post # 5, but I do see your point of the optics of it all. Many who don't go to club meetings or read club news letters who read the Go Snowmobiling mags that went out to all permit buyer who checked the box to recieve it, knew it's going to be held in Collingwood as it was published there, and in other mags and sled TV shows in their AGM report stories. Same for those who subscribed to the OFSC e-newsletter.

What's even funnier is a few of us could of told you on page one there is some stuff about AGM already incorperated into the new OFSC site (but then it wouldn't of been as much fun) ... but one will still have to register through their local club to attend due to logistics of accomidating everyone and that is not a public event. (don't like the last part, write a proposal to change the corp structure of the OFSC and the clubs and the by-laws we operate within)

What's even funnier is a few of us could of told you on page one there is some stuff about AGM already incorperated into the new OFSC site (but then it wouldn't of been as much fun) ..

I tried, to no avail.

As an aside, when Bill 101 was in the news, OFSC put out a booklet to inform landowners. This Land is Your Land. Here's a link, as it explains the Permit structure, etc. It's relevant because it quite clearly states what the Ontario government does and does not do re: snowmobiling.

http://www.snowmobile.dnsalias.net/files/This%20Land%20is%20Your%20Land%20Booklet.pdf

I got to page 2, and this thread was too painful to read through. Things could be put in a different text, but some people are clearly not capable.

You don't have to be a volunteer to attend a club meeting, you never have to volunteer, but if you attend meetings you will get info about the club. You can simply call the club reps, ie pres,vise pres, secretary, you get the point. If someone is truly interested in what goes on,it is 1 call away to get the user name and password for the clubhouse portion of the site. I am not going to tell you to volunteer or get involved, because I don't give a rats ass weather you do or not, but if you want info there is tons of it and it is easy to get. I don't think the password should be publicized, and I don't feel it is to hard to get. I will say,if you really truly care about what is going on,you should sit in on a meeting or 2, and like I said, there is no commitment. 1 more thing,if you don't know u should, as a club member, you have voting rights within your club for the club executive board, so you the member can help control who makes the decisions for your respective club. You still don't have to do a thing to help run the club,just show up at the meeting and vote (on election night of course). So no commitment, just a few hours to attend the meeting. If that is to hard, all you really want to do is bitch.

someone do a poll, I want to know how many of u would attend the AGM to see what goes on. You do know your club has 2 votes on each elected topic and the rest of your club is just there for the info.?

As an aside, when Bill 101 was in the news, OFSC put out a booklet to inform landowners. This Land is Your Land. Here's a link, as it explains the Permit structure, etc. It's relevant because it quite clearly states what the Ontario government does and does not do re: snowmobiling.

http://www.snowmobil...d%20Booklet.pdf

Interesting read.  Thanks

someone do a poll, I want to know how many of u would attend the AGM to see what goes on. You do know your club has 2 votes on each elected topic and the rest of your club is just there for the info.?

We can do a poll....

And no, I did not know that each club has 2 votes. That explains a lot.

We can do a poll....

And no, I did not know that each club has 2 votes. That explains a lot.

ya, there seems to be allot left out, and there seems to be allot of "if you want to know get involved", and I don't agree with that. My personal outlook, is anybody that is truly passionate about the sport, will lend their hand sometime, and it seems to be later on in life, when things kinda slow down. And I think that might change as time goes on, I know my local club is getting younger, and that very well could be the next phase......we will see

Sorry folks thought I covered that part here on page one, maybe I should of more clear there is two voting deligates from each club ......

Like I said guys, you already have close to or over 1000 under one roof trying to get business for the year done, voting on by-law and policy changes and budget ..ect and taking in seminars and workshops. With anymore where and how would you ever get anything done over the course of 2 days, and at what cost ? I'll add to that, that no one is ever refused entry to AGM, if they wish to go all they have to get a registration form from their local club and their in (they may also be voted by their club membership to be the clubs voting delegate), if they don't know there's an annual OFSC AGM and when and where it is, then it would be a given they have not even gone to a club meeting and it would be a gross waste of money along with their and everyone else's time for them to be there.

WHat happened? Did the ofsc whisk everyone away in the middle of the night? Did some people here get a knock on there door accompanied by the sound of jack boots?

Should we call this " Forumknacht?" :rolleyes:

I would imagine it is to late to sign up for the AGM

According to the registration form, the deadline is Sept 10.

Thank you :right_on:

I will go up to the office to get a registration form sometime this week.

So how much will this cost me??

$100-$200-$300-$400-$500-$600. :o

Make sure you leave your frivolous idea's at home! And I see you didnt get the door knock? <_<

Its going to cost you but wait til you see the loot bags! Great stuff and the OFSC brand lube is fantastic! :-P

WHat happened? Did the ofsc whisk everyone away in the middle of the night? Did some people here get a knock on there door accompanied by the sound of jack boots?

Shhhh herr nutter is listening

PM sent.

It maybe fun and games for you UTS, but ever think the uneducated and untruthfull comments you make about the OFSC have the possiblity to drive people away from the sport and this site ?

Archived