OFSC AGM 2010 Who's Going from OC

The Groomer Guy

I would imagine it is to late to sign up for the AGM

According to the registration form, the deadline is Sept 10.

Thank you :right_on:

I will go up to the office to get a registration form sometime this week.

So how much will this cost me??

$100-$200-$300-$400-$500-$600. :o

Blake just give Bob and Sandy a call and they'll set you up with what you need, be great to see you there along with all the other newbies and younger gen club volunteers we've been seeing the past few years. Maybe even drop Yukon a line and see if the condo the boys are going in on still has a spot, it could save you some duckets on accomidations ?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHat happened? Did the ofsc whisk everyone away in the middle of the night? Did some people here get a knock on there door accompanied by the sound of jack boots?

Should we call this " Forumknacht?" :rolleyes:

Shhhh herr nutter is listening

Slow down on the OC band wagon Koolaid Bill, it could back to haunt you when recruting new volunteers, that is unless you just don't want any new volunteers in your club.

WHat happened? Did the ofsc whisk everyone away in the middle of the night? Did some people here get a knock on there door accompanied by the sound of jack boots?

It maybe fun and games for you UTS, but ever think the uneducated and untruthfull comments you make about the OFSC have the possiblity to drive people away from the sport and this site ?

Kind of like your blind devotion to anything and everything OFSC despite common sense and legalities?

Uneducated and untruthful? Only to you who cant see past your nose. Why do you need to attack me personally? I didnt attack you! . Yes this was a joke and was made in jest but in reality I can look and think outside the box and it wasnt about you.

Slow down on the OC band wagon Koolaid Bill, it could back to haunt you when recruting new volunteers, that is unless you just don't want any new volunteers in your club.

Are you limiting volunteers to his club like you would like to do to the AGM? :confused:

It maybe fun and games for you UTS, but ever think the uneducated and untruthfull comments you make about the OFSC have the possiblity to drive people away from the sport and this site ?

Kind of like your blind devotion to anything and everything OFSC despite common sense and legalities?

Uneducated and untruthful? Only to you who cant see past your nose. Why do you need to attack me personally? I didnt attack you! . Yes this was a joke and was made in jest but in reality I can look and think outside the box and it wasnt about you.

As stated many times the final say in how the OFSC is run is by the voluntering permit buyer, if you don't like they way things are run then fine, want to insult all of us, again fine, but don't expect me to just turn a blind eye to your anti OFSC propaganda posts. I know I wouldn't expect any less when I make comments about indaviduals or other clubs ?

Are you limiting volunteers to his club like you would like to do to the AGM? :confused:

As stated many times the final say in how the OFSC is run is by the voluntering permit buyer, if you don't like they way things are run then fine, want to insult all of us, again fine, but don't expect me to just turn a blind eye to your anti OFSC propaganda posts. I know I wouldn't expect any less when I make comments about indaviduals or other clubs ?

Yes but I never attacked you. In fact I said i admired your passion and dedication.

Blake just give Bob and Sandy a call and they'll set you up with what you need, be great to see you there along with all the other newbies and younger gen club volunteers we've been seeing the past few years. Maybe even drop Yukon a line and see if the condo the boys are going in on still has a spot, it could save you some duckets on accomidations ?

Thanks Nutter :right_on:

Im going to the office tomorrow, and I will talk to Sandi about it.

I will also give Paul a shout and see if there is anymore room with him.

I think it would be cool for me to go. Lots of things to learn.

:-D

Thanks- Blake

$280 for Registrations Blake and there is room at Hacienda Yukon if you need a place to crash , but you might have to fight over the Bathtub with Kevchev !

Kidding of course , they have spare cotts at the resort but you might have to fight over it with UTS cause he's privately sending me messages wanting to come ..

Hope you can make it !

Actually Yukie, I wouldnt mind going but I have a hockey tourney to take my kid to that weekend.

Maybe you should demand it be rescheduled until you can attend.....

I do not march to anyone's drums. anyone who knows me knows this. All is not perfect at the OFSC that is why I attend the AGM. Both to listen and to speak. It is possible for good ideas to come from outside of our fold. Listening is free. Indeed new volenteers can be retained by listening to them and making them part of the democracy.

Okay... so now I am much more educated than I was a couple of days ago. I called the OFSC in Barrie yesterday. The AGM starts on a Thursday and ends on a Saturday. Bottom line if you want to attend in any way shape or form you need to be either retired or extremely interested in being there. Why? If you're not retired it means taking a couple of vacation days from work.

Registration is $280.00. You can attend without registration which also means without a name badge. However without registering and paying the $280.00 you cannot participate in any of the break out sessions and need to get your meals elsewhere.

I have to work Thursday and Friday and the last session is over at 4:30. I can get there around 3:00 Friday and attend Saturday however they don't offer a registration just for the one day and as they said themselves it doesn't make economic sense to pay $280.00 for one day.

I hate to say it but this does smell just a little bit like an old boys club. If they truly want to make this accessable why not Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Isn't the idea to encourage people to participate? I would also like to suggest that they have the option of allowing people to register for a day or days that they can attend.

The agenda is also not available in advance. You find out the agenda after the fact when they send you your registration package. In contrast every single business conference I have ever attended publishes the full agenda in advance so that you can determine the true value of your attendance weighted against your ability to attend. I have on occasion chosen to attend two of three days of a conference based on the agenda knowing when I would get value for my time.

At this time I expect I will be there Saturday early Saturday and get what I can from the experience with the limited insight I am allowed.

I do not march to anyone's drums. anyone who knows me knows this. All is not perfect at the OFSC that is why I attend the AGM. Both to listen and to speak. It is possible for good ideas to come from outside of our fold. Listening is free. Indeed new volenteers can be retained by listening to them and making them part of the democracy.

But Bill by supporting comments that it is not a democracy and just an "old boys club" where one doesn't have his say, don't you feel it could keep one from volunteering ?

The agenda is also not available in advance. You find out the agenda after the fact when they send you your registration package. In contrast every single business conference I have ever attended publishes the full agenda in advance so that you can determine the true value of your attendance weighted against your ability to attend. I have on occasion chosen to attend two of three days of a conference based on the agenda knowing when I would get value for my time.

At this time I expect I will be there Saturday early Saturday and get what I can from the experience with the limited insight I am allowed.

That was my point to Nutter. You have to send out the agenda in advance so people have time to prepare. I certainly hope your mistaken 02!

Never mind Nutter seems to have answered it. The agenda's go out in advance.

Okay... so now I am much more educated than I was a couple of days ago. I called the OFSC in Barrie yesterday. The AGM starts on a Thursday and ends on a Saturday. Bottom line if you want to attend in any way shape or form you need to be either retired or extremely interested in being there. Why? If you're not retired it means taking a couple of vacation days from work.

Registration is $280.00. You can attend without registration which also means without a name badge. However without registering and paying the $280.00 you cannot participate in any of the break out sessions and need to get your meals elsewhere.

I have to work Thursday and Friday and the last session is over at 4:30. I can get there around 3:00 Friday and attend Saturday however they don't offer a registration just for the one day and as they said themselves it doesn't make economic sense to pay $280.00 for one day.

I hate to say it but this does smell just a little bit like an old boys club. If they truly want to make this accessable why not Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Isn't the idea to encourage people to participate? I would also like to suggest that they have the option of allowing people to register for a day or days that they can attend.

Most if not all clubs just recieved their adgendas with their AGM packages this week, the reason they are mailed out when they are, is because it includes the motions that members have writen up and sent in proir (all though motions may also be submitted up to and during the day of business which is Saturday). The only real business on Thursday is commitee meetings, that were planned for that day by the respective commitees, other then that it's check in day. Workshops, break out sessions are Friday during the day and the newbie welcome session is Friday eve, so yes one has to take a day off if they wish to attend. Saturday is the day of bussiness, and hopefully all business will be done on Saturday to leave Sunday as a full travel day, as Ontario is a big province and many members have to travel great disances to be there (of course depending on where AGM is held each year, as itmoves each year). This time line was and is always put to the membership to decide upon, so this it open for you to ask the membership on Saturday if you choose to attend if they would like to change it.

Why should it be a public event, were trying to get a years worth of business done, not shake hands and kiss babys and listen to frivolous complaints from the ill informed ? Each club recieves a registration package and votes on who ther deligates and attendies are, for those who have a vested interest and are interested in attending they will know the what where when and why through their local club almost a year in advance.

Hey Nutter,

Is this the kind of new out of the box anti old boys club thinking you were talking about? :rolleyes:

Im pretty sure your comment to WB forgot about this little gem you posted earlier. Which do you think will keep people away more, comments about an old boys club or your affirmation of the fact?

Most if not all clubs just recieved their adgendas with their AGM packages this week, the reason they are mailed out when they are, is because it includes the motions that members have writen up and sent in proir (all though motions may also be submitted up to and during the day of business which is Saturday). The only real business on Thursday is commitee meetings, that were planned for that day by the respective commitees, other then that it's check in day. Workshops, break out sessions are Friday during the day and the newbie welcome session is Friday eve, so yes one has to take a day off if they wish to attend. Saturday is the day of bussiness, and hopefully all business will be done on Saturday to leave Sunday as a full travel day, as Ontario is a big province and many members have to travel great disances to be there (of course depending on where AGM is held each year, as itmoves each year). This time line was and is always put to the membership to decide upon, so this it open for you to ask the membership on Saturday if you choose to attend if they would like to change it.

I can predict the outcome of a request to change the dates... real simple... NO. Why? Because the dates obviously work for those that are there. For those that the dates don't work for, they are not there so it becomes really tough for them to vote for a change but even if they were there they can't vote since they are not the annointed delegates from their club.

Ideally everyone who cares enough to be there should be able to vote and have their opinions count rather than that of just a representative from your club. Let's have a true democratic process.

Im sure you will take this as bashing the OFSC but, it kind of strikes me as odd. You say that the ofsc cant act independantly and has to get all of its direction from the clubs at the AGM? Yet there is only one day a year to do this? A multibillion dollar organisation takes it sole direction from its members on one day? Seems kind of odd doesnt it? :confused:

I can predict the outcome of a request to change the dates... real simple... NO. Why? Because the dates obviously work for those that are there. For those that the dates don't work for, they are not there so it becomes really tough for them to vote for a change but even if they were there they can't vote since they are not the annointed delegates from their club.

Ideally everyone who cares enough to be there should be able to vote and have their opinions count rather than that of just a representative from your club. Let's have a true democratic process.

Legally, every stakeholder has a vote. Im sorry but thats law.

On the registration form you are asked to indicate if you are a voting delegate YES or NO and your CLUB/ASSOCIATION. I asked about what I can and can't do. I was told that I could sit with the guys from the club at the AGM on Saturday but without registering and receiving a name badge that was it. I was told clearly that each club has only two designated voters which I think is wrong in principal however I can see where location could stack the deck for a local club. With the meeting being in Collingwood they could easily have a very significant representation of people from clubs in the surrounding area based on proximity and accessability. If everyone in attendance had a vote that would definitely give them a weighted advantage for self interest. Damned if you do damned if you don't but a true deomcracy is better. The other option is that the club representatives can actually carry proxy votes where others have assigned their votes in writing. Then the club representatives could rather than have one vote carry 30 or 40 votes. Closer to a true democracy.

Legally every club member has a vote in the at club. That being said it can be decided that clubs can only send two votes max. I dont see the sense in this as it could create deadlocks but hey.

I think legally if a club member showed up at the AGM and tried to vote they could not legally prevent him/her from doing so.

Why should it be a public event, were trying to get a years worth of business done, not shake hands and kiss babys and listen to frivolous complaints from the ill informed ? Each club recieves a registration package and votes on who ther deligates and attendies are, for those who have a vested interest and are interested in attending they will know the what where when and why through their local club almost a year in advance.

Hey Nutter,

Is this the kind of new out of the box anti old boys club thinking you were talking about? :rolleyes:

Im pretty sure your comment to WB forgot about this little gem you posted earlier. Which do you think will keep people away more, comments about an old boys club or your affirmation of the fact?

Newbies are incouraged to join clubs and learn a little about what it takes to put sleds on snow, IMO having someone at AGM that doesn't even have enough communication with a local club IMO is a waste of their and and everyone elses time. But as I said in a post on the first page, no one is refused entry to AGM.

Legally every club member has a vote in the at club. That being said it can be decided that clubs can only send two votes max. I dont see the sense in this as it could create deadlocks but hey.

I think legally if a club member showed up at the AGM and tried to vote they could not legally prevent him/her from doing so.

Clubs are the stakeholders of the OFSC and members/permit buyers are stake holders of clubs as that is who sells the permits. Each club member has their vote at the club level which the majority of each club is carried provincialy by their clubs voting deligates. We know we certainly can't expect 80,000 permit buyers under one roof debating on motions and amendments to happen or work.

Archived