What to Do with Sled that hasn't been ridden this year

MXZMike

So it really looks like I won't get on the sled at all this year.  What should I do in terms of storage?  I don't think we will even have a dusting of snow at our cottage come march break so should I start it and let it get to operating temp, and then just put back into storage?  Or just leave it as is?

Never had to do this so wondering what best approach is?

Mike

1 hour ago, MXZMike said:

So it really looks like I won't get on the sled at all this year.  What should I do in terms of storage?  I don't think we will even have a dusting of snow at our cottage come march break so should I start it and let it get to operating temp, and then just put back into storage?  Or just leave it as is?

Mike

same. siphon the most gas out of it. Put it on a battery tender, start it up next year

I left mine as is one year I didn't ride.Didnt seem to hurt anything

• Like 1

Start it up - run it on the stand - get all moving bearings etc. moving - then set it back for storage:

Nothing should sit that long with turning/moving in my opinion - moving parts need to move

• Like 1

dito - I would run it on a stand until it reaches normal operating temp, spin the track up as well.

Replace the gas with fresh while you are at it, needs to be done anyways and avoids running bad gas through it.

I normally start my sleds every so often anyways and let them run for a bit on a stand, even in a normal year......2 or 4 stroke.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stoney said:

dito - I would run it on a stand until it reaches normal operating temp, spin the track up as well.

Replace the gas with fresh while you are at it, needs to be done anyways and avoids running bad gas through it.

I normally start my sleds every so often anyways and let them run for a bit on a stand, even in a normal year......2 or 4 stroke.

Thats only because you want to smell the exhaust......................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it’s been fogged properly with stabilizer in the gas, leave it as is and do not start it. 

• Like 7

Drain the fuel, put fresh fuel in at least half tank (I prefer full). If it isnt E free fuel, add some marine stabil to it, start, run, to full warm up temp. We left our sleds for 18 months, due to covid. After returning, I drained the E free fuel out, added fresh, they started right up, and ran to temp. No problem that first year, with our 2 strokes. Isnt looking like we will ride this year, so, I will be doing the exact thing this year. Ski  

On 2/28/2024 at 4:34 PM, skidooboy said:

Drain the fuel, put fresh fuel in at least half tank (I prefer full). If it isnt E free fuel, add some marine stabil to it, start, run, to full warm up temp. We left our sleds for 18 months, due to covid. After returning, I drained the E free fuel out, added fresh, they started right up, and ran to temp. No problem that first year, with our 2 strokes. Isnt looking like we will ride this year, so, I will be doing the exact thing this year. Ski  

Does that marine stabil work. I can't find e free fuel anymore here. I rember you saying these products don't usually work? Only place I can get e free is in usa or at Indian reserve in orilla area. 

On 2/28/2024 at 11:44 AM, MXZMike said:

2-stroke

Been Summarized, so oil injected.

I be tempted to just add some high octane gas maybe 5 L. Add e stabil to it and I find some isopropyl antifreeze. It hold water. I always dump it into my four stroke. Run it up to temperature on a stand. Re fog it. In fall I dump fuel out before you use it, should be fine..

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I be tempted to just add some high octane gas maybe 5 L. Add e stabil to it and I find some isopropyl antifreeze. It hold water. I always dump it into my four stroke. Run it up to temperature on a stand. Re fog it. In fall I dump fuel out before you use it, should be fine.

15 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Run it up to temperature on a stand

Is that long enough to get the stabilizer through the WHOLE system? Personally I doubt it. You need to get it from the tank through the fuel lines and the carb(s) or injectors or you haven't protected the whole system. As well you need to get the stabilizer mixed with all the gas in the tank first  or you could be wasting your time and money.

40 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Is that long enough to get the stabilizer through the WHOLE system? Personally I doubt it. You need to get it from the tank through the fuel lines and the carb(s) or injectors or you haven't protected the whole system. As well you need to get the stabilizer mixed with all the gas in the tank first  or you could be wasting your time and money.

Pretty sure sleds have a return line that return access fuel back to tank, when engine doesn't need it. Recycle and mix fairly quickly. 

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Pretty sure sleds have a return line that return access fuel back to tank, when engine doesn't need it. Recycle and mix fairly quickly. 

Not on mine. Just supply and vent line. 

Stabilizer does not work long term with our modern junk fuels. Better to siphon it all out and then put fresh in when your going to run it

5 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Stabilizer does not work long term with our modern junk fuels. Better to siphon it all out and then put fresh in when your going to run it

👍🏻

we got the electric pump/syphon, works great.

41 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

👍🏻

we got the electric pump/syphon, works great.

yup. Best option. Our modern fuel seperates regardless of stabilizer so for me this is the best option

On 2/28/2024 at 10:34 AM, MXZMike said:

Mike

Wowza eh Mike, so many options but lots of good advise. A little work now won't hurt is what I believe. Most conservative/cautious approach is a follows. Just take it from there.

• Replace fuel
  • stabilize new fuel
  • Run sled on a stand until it reached operating temps or even a bit longer to ensure that all the old fuel is gone
  • Fog
  • Put battery on a tender
  • Store until next season.

Best advise is to find some place to ride it. Even if its only for an hour or so. Then treat it as you normally would.

3 hours ago, Puggz said:

Best advise is to find some place to ride it. Even if its only for an hour or so. Then treat it as you normally would.

Put the stabalizer and the new fuel if thats your thing) in before you ride it. then you don't have to run it on the stand.

Anyone have the definitive answer on attempting to stabilize crap-e fuel? Happily, my sleds run 87, so the least amount of corn crap, but I've seen what it can do to an injector. 

Maybe run it as dry as the pickup will allow and add the canned E-free stuff from CTC with stabilzer? When I siphon, I'm still at 2 bars on my (Japanese) Yamahas. 

I always ran a tank of E-free in at the end of the season and added Sta-bil with zero issues 2 sleds, 8 years. 

I have had good luck using Sea Foam 

• Like 1