TRAILS SHOWING OPEN

I see this morning that Smooth Rock Artic Riders have their section of the A trail open. 

• Like 3

And I even saw some green trails in Longlac

• Like 1

map is slowly changing colour😀

• Like 1

The railbed is open/limited from Dundalk to Owen Sound.

Seeing lots of Facebook posts from clubs out grooming.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The railbed is open/limited from Dundalk to Owen Sound.

Seeing lots of Facebook posts from clubs out grooming.

Just had a club member at the house buying a trailer. He told me OS to dundalk just opened. It'll be tore up fast, but it beats road running for a shakedown run. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 95rxl650 said:

Just had a club member at the house buying a trailer. He told me OS to dundalk just opened. It'll be tore up fast, but it beats road running for a shakedown run. 

Yep, she will get beat in a hurry. I'm looking at Wednesday. Just texted my buddy to prepare. Should be a fair bit open by then. I'm thinking Mount Forest, Palmerston, Listowel, Durham area.

• Like 4

Lots of event cancellations going on up in the Grey Bruce region - so that is a positive sign if you're a sledder

• Like 1

Took a run from OS to to Holland Center for a shakedown. New to me sled and I pretty much had it stripped down at one point. Stopped a couple times to inspect and all is well. It got run hard on the return trip. 

The trail is a railbed so pretty boring with the exception of a couple opportune chances for some air. Some gravel worked to the top in a few places that are protected from weather. Still a blast after taking last year off for cataract surgeries. Wife made me sell becuase apparently I'm to stupid to stay off it. Whats she know. lol

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I am booked off the week of the 28th to go to Quebec.   I think I am going to trailer my new sled up to Markdale this week and jump on the rail bed and go 10-15km out of town and then just turn around and go back to the truck.    I would just like to know that everything is in good working order on my new sled before I head out for 5 days.   

• Like 4

Our  groomers trails got a double pas on Saturday. The groomer ran from 10AM to 5AM on Sunday. We went out to do a final sign and stake inspection on our trails yesterday. The base is frozen hard and flat but unfortunately there are still some wet spots and there are a lot of wheat fields that don't have enough coverage to consider opening yet. It appears that the clubs to our west and south had not gotten out as their trails had no sign of packing. Need more snow!

Saw on our club's FB page they are out doing what they can now that we have some snow.

As usual - need cold - but we live in a time where you get what you get and make the most of it.

Hoping to see some yellow in the next week if things co-operate.

Might be field running/shake down time this Sunday as we have no hockey!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

but we live in a time where you get what you get and make the most of it.

Our trails are mostly farm fields so we have to be sure that the wheat fields have sufficient coverage that we don't damage the crops and that the trails are safe to ride. We do pay for crops that we damage but that doesn't fix the farmers feelings about their damaged crops. Fine line deciding when to open in this low snow area.

3 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Hoping to see some yellow in the next week if things co-operate.

Might be field running/shake down time this Sunday as we have no hockey!

I hear you with the hockey and I am just a grandfather. Hard to be an avid sledder and a hockey parent. Grandson has Ontario Winter Games tournament in Thunder Bay in late February. Might be an opportunity to see some hockey and ride somewhere totally new. 

• Like 1

Orillia District Snowmobile Club was out packing B112B this evening. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Re:Leaf said:

Orillia District Snowmobile Club was out packing B112B this evening. 

I believe b105c has been done as well.

13 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

I believe b105c has been done as well.

One of the boys from work were saying they saw the groomer on B near Bass lake last night.

• Like 2

We have trails showing yellow out the west side of Owen Sound to Sauble Beach and north a little this morning. Problem is Owen Sound is not sled friendly. East side is pretty good for access, but the west side is not. No drop points that allow for legal movement due to city bylaws. Shallow Lake has the arena but the trail from there is not open yet. My daughter lives near the trail, but a few miles of road running to get to it. I think I need to go for a drive and check the road conditions.

Listowel-Atwood open

• Like 3

Had a look at the map - surprised to see how little has opened up in the far north - getting there - but man - it's mid January already and so much red.

Come one yellow and green!

• Like 3

Owen Sound has a few more feet of trail yellowed but no loops. No new snow in days and very little in the forecast. The clubs are trying, but we need snow and cold to freeze the low areas of swamp.  I have a hard time justifying loading up to go ride a half hour just to turn and return. 

Have been surprised to see the groomer back out in the last few days again, midday (maybe training daytime temps low enough?) as the local A and B trails were great already at the start of the week!

Got a chance to ride the new last minute trail agreement to run the loop around Pembroke yesterday. Can potential access downtown businesses once I figure the parking.  My favourite restaurant has a sign and direct trail access to their oversized lot, so I’m set.

Time to get out again before the weekend as I expect more trail to go yellow here.

• Like 1

Owen Sound area seems to have stalled out. Nothing north of hwy6 towards the peninsula yet, not even the railbed to wiarton. Key feeder trails are still red in area's that do have some yellow. No where for a guy to go if you live in town. I really dont want to trailer out with an open trailer. Just end up with a big brown frozen ball of shyte behind me. Frustrating. lol