Jump to content

Frozen relays.


GrizzlyGriff
 Share

Recommended Posts

So you wake up at your favourite poirvoirie in Quebec. It’s minus 30. Staggering to your sled you start it up and drive over to the gas pump. Fill up. Now it won’t start. 
Frozen fuel pump relay. How do we fix it? Let’s hear suggestions for different models. 

On my Sidewinder I breathe on it through cupped hands and tap it. Worked so far. Now I have a sealed relay from Yamaheater

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yeah. Keep your Winder running until it is just over normal operating temp. Then shut down. . Relay should not freeze

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always fill up with gas at night 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 1049 said:

Always fill up with gas at night 

^^^^^ this! always fill up before putting them to bed at night, especially when leaving outside. everywhere in your fuel tank where there is no fuel will be frost (moisture), add fuel the next am, and bam... water in your fuel, and possible sled problems. Ski 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yep wiseman once told me

best practice if possible, same for oil reservoir as well

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, skidooboy said:

^^^^^ this! always fill up before putting them to bed at night, especially when leaving outside. everywhere in your fuel tank where there is no fuel will be frost (moisture), add fuel the next am, and bam... water in your fuel, and possible sled problems. Ski 

Fueling up in the morning is for Rookies...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 04 GSX had this issue, so we carried two relays. In fact it was worse if you started them, then shut down for whatever reason (to load your bag).

Same with the Vector and Apex, until we installed the solid state relays, never had an issue (but also never started and shut down for breakfast.)

So, on the REN X - did Doo finally go to Solid State relays?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I switched the pump relay with the tail light one on the 15 Viper. It was put away in the trailer, full of fuel after the last snowy day of a five day trip. Temps were -30, and for the first time in 30k kms the relay was frozen.  
Finally wished I’d bought that fuse relocation kit, and glad it was at home after the trip!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue with the Yamaha's (from my 'Attak' to the last one, 'Viper") - don't start it up and then shut it off. 

 

Start it and go.

 

Buddy used to start his sled every a.m., to see if there were issues. Inevitably, on restart - no go. 

 

I'd bypass that drama and just start it. 

 

Until both Vipers didn't start. Then, goodbye Yamaha for me.

 

Not a gearhead, went over to two '21 Arctic Cat ZR8000's, two strokes, way easier starting. Not even a trickle of doubt at start-up. 

 

(mention this because.."you left Yamaha for Arctic Cat....'aren't they the same beast'?). Totally different cold weather starts.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Canuck said:

The issue with the Yamaha's (from my 'Attak' to the last one, 'Viper") - don't start it up and then shut it off. 

 

Start it and go.

 

Buddy used to start his sled every a.m., to see if there were issues. Inevitably, on restart - no go. 

 

I'd bypass that drama and just start it. 

 

Until both Vipers didn't start. Then, goodbye Yamaha for me.

 

Not a gearhead, went over to two '21 Arctic Cat ZR8000's, two strokes, way easier starting. Not even a trickle of doubt at start-up. 

 

(mention this because.."you left Yamaha for Arctic Cat....'aren't they the same beast'?). Totally different cold weather starts.

True, as long as the battery is good, the 2 stroke cats only take a short bump of the starter to go, no matter the temp.  Its all about battery power or you're out using your wife's hair dryer and we all know how that goes..lol 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

True, as long as the battery is good, the 2 stroke cats only take a short bump of the starter to go, no matter the temp.  Its all about battery power or you're out using your wife's hair dryer and we all know how that goes..lol 

 

H'mmm. Cochrane Feb 2020 -38c. Even 2 strokes weren't starting in the Westway parking lot. Agree, 2S tend to start better\easier than the 4S in the cold, but all machines hit a limit at some temp.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

H'mmm. Cochrane Feb 2020 -38c. Even 2 strokes weren't starting in the Westway parking lot. Agree, 2S tend to start better\easier than the 4S in the cold, but all machines hit a limit at some temp.

That's why you need a pull start on 2-strokes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have same problem with relay 2 days ago in a morning -27C on my 2017 skidoo Grand touring 1200. Won't start, even no lights on dashboard, completely dead. Switched relay with taillights and back to normal. Will keep spare relay in my toolbox. Lesson learned..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, andreyboater said:

Have same problem with relay 2 days ago in a morning -27C on my 2017 skidoo Grand touring 1200. Won't start, even no lights on dashboard, completely dead. Switched relay with taillights and back to normal. Will keep spare relay in my toolbox. Lesson learned..

 

Which relay would that be and where is it located?  I've only had to deal with the reverse solenoid relay on mine, and would like to know if case that happens to me (2014 GT). Thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, paulslund said:

Which relay would that be and where is it located?  I've only had to deal with the reverse solenoid relay on mine, and would like to know if case that happens to me (2014 GT). Thanks!

 

Ok fuse box located on right side on top if you open right side cover you will see it no doubt. Its 3 relay inside I switched one marked power with taillights, got sled alive but taillights was down around 15 min and after sled reached normal temperature, I've got taillights back to normal as well. 

Anyway bought a spare relay and put it in my toolbox. I hope it helps. 

Screenshot_20220208-081925_Google.jpg

20220208_082110.jpg

Screenshot_20220208-082652_Amazon Shopping.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Instead of carrying spares and dealing with changing them out in the cold, why not buy & install a solid state relay and be done with the issue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could you simply put the relay in your pocket for a while?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Instead of carrying spares and dealing with changing them out in the cold, why not buy & install a solid state relay and be done with the issue?

It's good idea, I couldn't find solid state for now it's back order. So will update next season for now just will keep a spare one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ox said:

Could you simply put the relay in your pocket for a while?

 

I did I bring them in a room and keep around 5 min, maybe not enough as I put them back and engine didn't start.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, andreyboater said:

Ok fuse box located on right side on top if you open right side cover you will see it no doubt. Its 3 relay inside I switched one marked power with taillights, got sled alive but taillights was down around 15 min and after sled reached normal temperature, I've got taillights back to normal as well. 

Anyway bought a spare relay and put it in my toolbox. I hope it helps.

Oh that is great to know.. thank you!  I didn't realize there were relays in the fuse box at all.. I thought there was only the ones on the outside.  Thanks!

 

Maybe I need to re familiarize myself with my electrical components of my sled.. LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2022 at 1:36 PM, Turbo Doo said:

Fueling up in the morning is for Rookies...

I take exception. We arrived late and the owner asked if we could fuel up in the morning so he could get our dinner ready. Lose the arrogance 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 2:03 PM, paulslund said:

Oh that is great to know.. thank you!  I didn't realize there were relays in the fuse box at all.. I thought there was only the ones on the outside.  Thanks!

 

Maybe I need to re familiarize myself with my electrical components of my sled.. LOL

Best advice is to start the sled and let it run until it shuts off. Skidoo’s shut off once engine is at proper operating temperature.  I have done this with all my skidoo’s and not once have had a frozen relay. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

I take exception. We arrived late and the owner asked if we could fuel up in the morning so he could get our dinner ready. Lose the arrogance 

I agree, I've been quiltly of fueling both morning and night....I personally don't worry, either way...

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...