Northern Corridor?

tricky

Can anyone give a first hand report on current trail conditions from Iroquois Falls to Hearst? Hoping to enjoy the area this coming Tuesday thru Friday. Is anyone else heading there this week?

37 minutes ago, tricky said:

Can anyone give a first hand report on current trail conditions from Iroquois Falls to Hearst? Hoping to enjoy the area this coming Tuesday thru Friday. Is anyone else heading there this week?

Jackpine SC in Iroquois Falls has had at least one and possibly both their groomer broken down all of last week I believe. Timmins and Cochrane have groomed some of Jackpines trails at least once. Haven't seen any updates on F/B  for a couple of days on Timmins and Cochrane F/B. No posts on the Jackpine F/B site since Jan.12th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• LuvMyViper changed the title to Northern Corridor?
39 minutes ago, tricky said:

There are lots of trail reports from the area on the 705 Snowmobiles Facebook group. Yesterday, most saying trails are flat and in good shape with small thin sections. Not a lot of base and a ton of riders going through there this weekend with warm temps.

It doesn't sound very promising but if you want to ride next week I don't see where you have many options.

I just got off the phone with my buddy because we said we'd make a plan for next week to go somewhere. We decided to stay home and wait another week. Hoping things turn around and the 14 day forecasts are wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would definitely wait another week or two also, except that I have important family medical appointments to keep in both weeks. And, winter is short as we are seeing. Thanks for the feedback PLC and Blackstar. That handle and photo still don't look right.

• Like 3

I’m currently riding the Quebec side from Ville Marrie up to Lasarre. The trails around Lasarre have been great. Ville Marrie to Royun is poor (some of it should be closed). It was still worth coming up to scratch the itch.

IMG_4233.png

IMG_4231.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Someone just posted this pic of the hydro line coming into Cochrane this aft. 

421605166_10103094984319310_3579804432882079347_n.jpeg

• Sad 1

I think from what I’m seeing I would drive to Smooth rock to start . There may not be more snow but at least the weekend traffic should have been lighter . Tough call but I would take the chance if that’s your only week to go for a while . Good luck let us know what you decide . 

• Like 1

I've got a room booked for Cochrane this week Jan 30- Feb 3 but with conditions deteriorating and more warm weather forecast for the week again, I think I'm going to cancel the room and try again in a week or two.

Sucks cause I haven't been out yet this year but no point travelling all that way to fight poor conditions and more warm weather.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, scottyr said:

Someone just posted this pic of the hydro line coming into Cochrane this aft. 

421605166_10103094984319310_3579804432882079347_n.jpeg

10 hours ago, 1049 said:

I think from what I’m seeing I would drive to Smooth rock to start . There may not be more snow but at least the weekend traffic should have been lighter . Tough call but I would take the chance if that’s your only week to go for a while . Good luck let us know what you decide . 

Thanks guys for the info. We will decide today whether to pull the plug altogether, change staging sight or maybe even hold the course. There are only two of us and we are both stubborn. One good thing about the weather is we should be able to find rooms.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, tricky said:

Thanks guys for the info. We will decide today whether to pull the plug altogether, change staging sight or maybe even hold the course. There are only two of us and we are both stubborn. One good thing about the weather is we should be able to find rooms.

You and Malcolm ?

Yes, Scott. We just got off the phone. We decided to shyte can the original 4- day ride, and decide tomorrow whether to can the whole idea. If we go, we will be following Mark's advice and stage out of S-R Falls or Kap. We would then sled 2-3 days and drive home. We have done that twice before and had very good luck getting a decent ride in when Cochrane was pooched. It would be nice to hear from some weekend riders what their experience was in the Kap to Hearst area. I refuse to let this defeat me as a sledder, but I have to admit, this winter (or lack thereof) is starting to wear thin on this grumpy old man.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, tricky said:

Yes, Scott. We just got off the phone. We decided to shyte can the original 4- day ride, and decide tomorrow whether to can the whole idea. If we go, we will be following Mark's advice and stage out of S-R Falls or Kap. We would then sled 2-3 days and drive home. We have done that twice before and had very good luck getting a decent ride in when Cochrane was pooched. It would be nice to hear from some weekend riders what their experience was in the Kap to Hearst area. I refuse to let this defeat me as a sledder, but I have to admit, this winter (or lack thereof) is starting to wear thin on this grumpy old man.

I am sitting in my room at the Super 8 in Mont Laurier and it is depressing how little snow there is here.    I will post a ride report tomorrow night.    

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I am sitting in my room at the Super 8 in Mont Laurier and it is depressing how little snow there is here.    I will post a ride report tomorrow night.    

Sorry buddy. Bad every where it seems. Hopefully it's ok to ride 🙏

My cousin went to Cochrane said A trail looked nasty ,went to smooth rock Said it’s a little better ,but they may pack up tomorrow and head back home 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

My cousin went to Cochrane said A trail looked nasty ,went to smooth rock Said it’s a little better ,but they may pack up tomorrow and head back home 

Not worth room and food money to ride crap. That sucks after spending 300 on gas to get there 🤦‍♂️

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Not worth room and food money to ride crap. That sucks after spending 300 on gas to get there 🤦‍♂️

They have a nice haul back to the hamilton area,not real happy

• Sad 1

I see North Bay trails just went red

• Sad 3

It's got to change , hopefully

Today, we pulled the plug on the Northern Corridor trip. Too far to drive to SRF or Kap for a couple of days sledding, especially for 2 guys who have ridden those trails more than we can remember. If the original group of 4 were going, we likely would have made the effort. Hoping winter comes back with a vengeance in the near future.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 2:44 PM, tricky said:

Today, we pulled the plug on the Northern Corridor trip. Too far to drive to SRF or Kap for a couple of days sledding, especially for 2 guys who have ridden those trails more than we can remember. If the original group of 4 were going, we likely would have made the effort. Hoping winter comes back with a vengeance in the near future.

North just closed for a bit. I pulled the plug yesterday and our group is heading to Val-D'Or Sunday and doing 3 days of hub from the Forrestal. 

• Like 1

We just drove up from the Soo, to Dubreuilville. there are no snowbanks on 17 or 519. Very little snow in the bush, and what there is varies greatly mile to mile. towns are bare as well. Ski  

• Thanks 1