This coulda ended a lot worse. Check your back.

Dave K

https://twitter.com/i/status/1748795177462812931

Some of you may recognize this D9 bridge road crossing

• Like 2

Geez that was close, gotta pay attention for traffic 

• Like 1

Better yet, stop and be sure.

Night riding years ago, group of 3, me leading. I looked over my shoulder and turned left assuming the 2 headlights behind me were my companions. I swear I felt the heat  and smelled the antifreeze off the ol' pickup grill. I could hear his tires locked up on the hard pack as went by. It happened so fast I didnt have time to shyte myself. I felt bad for the driver because he did.  I got a quick view of what the bug sees. It wont ever happen a second time and I still remember the only thought in my thick head.....hmmmm 72 Ford.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dave K said:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1748795177462812931

Some of you may recognize this D9 bridge road crossing

Rode through there Thursday and its District 5 actually. That stretch belongs to Elmira for some strange reason. The adjoining intersections on either side are in District 9. I staked that a few years ago.

Wow, he was lucky the trucker was paying attention.

If the trail could get put back where it was that wouldn't happen and why most people go around the signs and ride the old trail through the flats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Rode through there Thursday and its District 5 actually. That stretch belongs to Elmira for some strange reason. The adjoining intersections on either side are in District 9. I staked that a few years ago.

If the trail could get put back where it was that wouldn't happen and why most people go around the signs and ride the old trail through the flats.

nice avatar,I didn't recognize you as at first lol

• Like 3

Got word last night that my wifes cousin smoked a dear, got tossed and run over. So far a broken leg. Not a good time I'd say.

• Sad 2

Damn that was close! The little bit of riding I have done so far this season has been without my little glove mirror. They work great for glancing back to see what’s coming at road crossings if your crossing on an angle like that.
 Finally found it in the hall closet, ready for the next ride! 

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes old trail thru the flats was pretty good. Why was it moved? Rode thru there a few years ago it was abit of a splash across river at bottom. Imagine it's still wide open or very thin? 

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I always stay in the west side of the bridge, and go against traffic.  I've got the advantage I know how the trail goes though.  Long bridge, not a great option. 

5 minutes ago, Dave K said:

I always stay in the west side of the bridge, and go against traffic.  I've got the advantage I know how the trail goes though.  Long bridge, not a great option. 

Agreed Dave. I said to my wife that I had never seen anyone ride that side. I check for sleds coming from the opposite direction, wait them out and then get through that bridge at a brisk pace. There are just no other options for the trail in that area. Pretty certain the truck driver was on the horn as the sledder sped up at the last moment. Sorry the driver had to go through that but glad his brakes were in adjustment. Grain hauler from the Grey Highlands so he is likely and fortunately familiar with sleds and dumb sledders.

You can tell it’s a professional driver by the hood of the truck, sledded is lucky.

• Like 1

No different than automobiles... You need to be aware of your surroundings. Head checks (all directions), and check again, then keep checking while you cross roads, bridges, trail crossings. Just winging it, could end up badly for everyone. Not turning to look to see what is coming via front, back, crossing, is just plain stupid. Just like running or rolling stop signs, at intersections. That is on you... Use your brain, for more than a hat rack. Ski

4 minutes ago, signfan said:

Who's at fault here if there had of been a wreck?  Obviously the sledder looses, but they were in the lead.

Really? Road traffic has right of way. If that was a car, even if they signaled to come out from the shoulder, they have to enter the roadway safely, with enough distance to get in to the traffic lane, and up to speed safely with the flow of traffic, without impeding it, or causing any issues. Being a snowmobile in this situation, it is even more on the snowmobile. The road traffic always has the right of way. Ski

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

Really? Road traffic has right of way. If that was a car, even if they signaled to come out from the shoulder, they have to enter the roadway safely, with enough distance to get in to the traffic lane, and up to speed safely with the flow of traffic, without impeding it, or causing any issues. Being a snowmobile in this situation, it is even more on the snowmobile. The road traffic always has the right of way. Ski

The sleds were traveling the roadway.  Then turned left.  They weren't crossing from ditch to ditch.  If it were a car turning left instead of a sled and the truck hit the car the truck would be at fault.  Albeit the snowmobile didn't signal his intentions which does move fault to the sled some.  What if it were a bike instead of a sled?  

• Haha 1

Lets go one step further.  It's a combine traveling up the road turning left.  He's probably running up the shoulder due to his width.  But he's not stopped and is traveling the road.  Not saying I'm right.  But it makes for an interesting argument.  If it were a motorcycle how is it interpreted?  Too many drivers these days don't slow down when overtaking smaller and / or slower vehicles.  Glad no one was hurt.  Definitely take your time and look behind you before crossing or turning left on a road.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, signfan said:

The sleds were traveling the roadway.  Then turned left.  They weren't crossing from ditch to ditch.  If it were a car turning left instead of a sled and the truck hit the car the truck would be at fault.  Albeit the snowmobile didn't signal his intentions which does move fault to the sled some.  What if it were a bike instead of a sled?  

Sleds are not allowed on a roadway. They were traveling the shoulder.

Turning left auto, different scenario... car should be in lane of travel, with signal on. If a car, bike, sled, lawnmower, skateboard, whatever,  was on the shoulder, merged out, no signal and turned left (like in this case), the Transport in the travel lane still has the right of way. But, I hear you on people not slowing down while approaching vehicles turning, right or left.

Having a dash cam, would have shown the sled was at fault here. We have cams in all our vehicles. People dont accept responsibility, and lie to prevent themselves from being accountable... A camera negates all that.  Ski

While going back and rewatching the video, the sledder doesnt do anything right. No look, no signal, didnt follow basic traffic laws, cut the corner on the wrong side of the road, to enter the new roadway direction. Instead of going to the corner, stopping, crossing corner, stopping, looking and crossing the road on the right side of the road, with the flow of traffic. All on the sledder here, in my opinion. This is exactly why municipalities dont want sleds in town, and on roadways. Not many people follow the basic roadway laws, and safety rules.  Ski

Just out for a good time on my sled, what could go wrong here….:coffeenose:

Defintely some poor judgement, but as stated, we now have interpretations that lead people to think they are right, court battle ensues, blame assigned and another new rule or restriction put in place as a result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Who's at fault here if there had of been a wreck?  Obviously the sledder looses, but they were in the lead.

Its recorded and if something bad had happened there is no doubt that the recording would be viewed by the police. The sledder didn't look behind before crossing lanes. The sledder did not cross the road at 90 degrees. The sledder should have/ could have continued up the right haaand side to the road crossing and there, he could have/ should have gotten himself situated properly to cross the road properly at the road crossing. Above all this he rode up the wrong side of the road and right across the side road again while on the wrong side of the road.

This is a good example of why more and more responsible truckers and trucking companies are installing camera's in their trucks.

• Like 4

Couldnt have said it better PLC. Great post. Ski

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave K said:

Same here, always stay on the west side and wait out the traffic. Most vehicles crossing that bridge are doing 100 kph because of the downhill run from either side.

When available, I have crossed on the ice just to avoid that bridge.

• Like 2

There are two parts to the who is wrong theory.

1.HTA

2. Liability

They do not share the same lense and/or outcomes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, signfan said:

Lets go one step further.  It's a combine traveling up the road turning left.  He's probably running up the shoulder due to his width.  But he's not stopped and is traveling the road.  Not saying I'm right.  But it makes for an interesting argument.  If it were a motorcycle how is it interpreted?  Too many drivers these days don't slow down when overtaking smaller and / or slower vehicles.  Glad no one was hurt.  Definitely take your time and look behind you before crossing or turning left on a road.

That's a tough one probabily find out if an accident occurred both be at fault. 

• Confused 1