Clearing snow off trailers

Steve F6

Curious what everyone else does? I had an "incident" last year with a ladder falling over and it left a big scratch on the side. Pretty unsafe on a ladder with a shovel. I've thought about maybe using my diesel heater and melting it from the inside out. Might work if you got lotsa time. Lets hear your ideas/techniques!

Most times, when my trailer is parked at home, I have it so it is tilted forward as much as possible and the snow tends to slide off the top, down the front and makes nices piles of snow beside the tongue that I need to shovel away......

Alternately, since I do not store sled inside of trailer, I lift tongue in the air until the rear of trailer touches the ground and all snow slides off the back.

My trailer is a TC118 so I can tilt/lift my trailer by hand like this.

If I am away and this happens while parked, I try to get what I can off with snow brush and the rest usually comes off as I drive down the first few km of road.

• Like 1

if it is soft and fluffy, a leaf blower works great. otherwise, a long handled broom. Ski

• Like 1

Just need two friends and a snow rake lol

IMG_0103.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sno-Rake. Great products I use one of these and have different length handles for different jobs. They have a lot of different products I use the one linked below. I got onto these by Roy Foss when we got my wifes Caddy I went to pick it up there was a guy on the lot going to town scrubbing snow off the caddy's in the lot with one of these. Of course my curiosity got me over talking to him as I couldn't believe it wouldn't damage the paint. You can scrub the snow almost scraper like off painted surfaces without damage. Love mine, had it over ten years too still going strong and it sits outside leaning up by the door all winter long too.

https://snorake.com/products/sno-rake-101

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

120 down the highway.  Failsafe way to clean the roof off a trailer

Unfortunately there are too many who believe that is exactly how you should remove trailer roof snow..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 04nightfire said:

120 down the highway.  Failsafe way to clean the roof off a trailer

Ok, it’s not just me. Though I usually hit a backroad first before getting on a busy highway. 

• Like 3

On 1/12/2024 at 10:57 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Unfortunately there are too many who believe that is exactly how you should remove trailer roof snow..

Some Transport guys do exact same thing. I see them come out of yard near me all covered in snow and ice. They heading over to 7 and 8 expressway after going down my road at 80 or 90 to knock snow off. I always watch and stay back from them guys. 

On 1/12/2024 at 10:57 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

All automobile drivers can be charged in the states, for not cleaning the roof, prior to driving. And are held responsible and really charged, when their roof load hits another vehicle and causes damage or an accident. Ski

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Some Transport guys do exact same thing. I see them come out of yard near me all covered in snow and ice. They heading over to 7 and 8 expressway after going down my road at 80 or 90 to knock snow off. I always watch and stay back from them guys. 

Unless the yard they are leaving from is set up with some type of snow removal system the driver cannot clear the roof. The roof an dry vans is a very light smooth aluminum skin. they can't safely be on the roof to remove snow and even if they did they did get up there it would be extremely slippery and they would likely break through the roof, not to mention the need of a long ladder and snow removal tool.  

Many companies won't allow drivers on roof due to liability issues. Wallenstein Feeds fired a driver a few years ago for going up top. No way no how is their rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Unless the yard they are leaving from is set up with some type of snow removal system the driver cannot clear the roof. The roof an dry vans is a very light smooth aluminum skin. they can't safely be on the roof to remove snow and even if they did they did get up there it would be extremely slippery and they would likely break through the roof, not to mention the need of a long ladder and snow removal tool.  

Many companies won't allow drivers on roof due to liability issues. Wallenstein Feeds fired a driver a few years ago for going up top. No way no how is their rule.

That's strange they go onto roofs all the time on feed trucks. They have a built in cat walk with a fold down ladder. All old box trucks are obsolute now. They got rid of them. I haven't seen one for over 5 years now. 

5 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

That's strange they go onto roofs all the time on feed trucks. They have a built in cat walk with a fold down ladder. All old box trucks are obsolute now. They got rid of them. I haven't seen one for over 5 years now. 

WFS had a driver fall a few years ago.  Didn't seriously hurt himself at the time, but later that night went to the hospital and eventually passed away from a head injury 

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

8 minutes ago, Dave K said:

WFS had a driver fall a few years ago.  Didn't seriously hurt himself at the time, but later that night went to the hospital and eventually passed away from a head injury 

Hummm I was told he fell off a bin ladder on a farm. Wallenstein now has a policy no one climbs farm bin ladders more then 4 feet high. 

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Snow isn't near as bad as when the slabs of ice come off them. I got hit a few years ago. No damage but it scared the crap out of me...lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Their are still many feed companies who have  some trucks with rectangular "box" style blower bodies. For example locally there Floradale Feed Mill, Jones Feed Mill, WS Feeds, Sharpe Farm Supplies, Niewland Feeds.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Their are still many feed companies who have  some trucks with rectangular "box" style blower bodies. For example locally there Floradale Feed Mill, Jones Feed Mill, WS Feeds, Sharpe Farm Supplies, Niewland Feeds.  

Not much feed being blown. They took all pellet binders out of it. So it needs to be augered or it seperates and defeats whole purpose of feeding pellets. Last time we blew feed here was 2015.  Augar trucks can un load much faster, better bio security since no pipes on ground, doesn't ruin or break up feed or heat it like a blower does. Way less mess around the bins too and bins last longer from not being pressurized. 

5 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Not much feed being blown. They took all pellet binders out of it. So it needs to be augered or it seperates and defeats whole purpose of feeding pellets. Last time we blew feed here was 2015.  Augar trucks can un load much faster, better bio security since no pipes on ground, doesn't ruin or break up feed or heat it like a blower does. Way less mess around the bins too and bins last longer from not being pressurized. 

Lots of Mennonite farms all over Western Ontario still having feed delivered and unloaded by blower trucks. The 3 month old tri-axle my son is driving came with a blower / sucker /auger.