Weather

3 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Lakes in Muskoka wide open. No ice at all. 

Only about a month behind

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am not trying to be "Negative Ned" but we are 3-4 WEEKS away at a min from riding in Cochrane by the looks of the 14 day forecast and well into Feb for anything south of North Bay.    Water open everywhere and next to zero snow in the long range.   

I am booked off from Jan 27-Feb 4 to go somewhere and I broke it to my guys that I am not driving to Mont Valin for sketchy trails.    If I am driving 15hrs I will throw my Harley in the trailer and drive south and burn $15 of gas a day in my bike vs $200 in my sled.   

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I am not trying to be "Negative Ned" but we are 3-4 WEEKS away at a min from riding in Cochrane by the looks of the 14 day forecast and well into Feb for anything south of North Bay.    Water open everywhere and next to zero snow in the long range.   

I am booked off from Jan 27-Feb 4 to go somewhere and I broke it to my guys that I am not driving to Mont Valin for sketchy trails.    If I am driving 15hrs I will throw my Harley in the trailer and drive south and burn $15 of gas a day in my bike vs $200 in my sled.   

Cochrane is really thin - there is almost no snow in Canada right now.

Pretty crazy really

56 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Cochrane is really thin - there is almost no snow in Canada right now.

Pretty crazy really

Yeah.   Other than a pocket of snow in the mountains around Mont Valin, there is hardly any snow in Canada.    Even the mountain guys in AB and BC are whining about the very low snow conditions.   

Talked to a buddy in Quebec a few mins ago and he says that St Zenon is expecting 5-10cm tonight and another 10cm tomorrow.

If they actually get that much snow they will send the groomer out to start packing.  

• Like 2

Once the snow starts, many places will be in business......not places close to most of us, but that should not be surprising to any.

• Like 2

I’ve come to the conclusion that I will have to drive 8 hours minimum . I’m fine with that for now but going forward I may have to re think the whole thing .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LuvMyViper said:

I had the hardest time.for like 5 years to catch a walleye until I got my honey hole. I found Ahmic very difficult for walleye... 

I have a professional fisherman friend and he said Amhic Lake was his favorite bass lake. I also catch huge jumbo perch (ice.fishing) and every perch was full of worms :(

OK, so  ... I don't like seafood, and I haven't been fishing since ... '83 I s'pose.

So, maybe I am missing sumpthing, but what does that last statement mean?

4 hours ago, scottyr said:

south of north Bay February at earliest. Too much open water. I have a bad feeling we may only get a 2-3 week window of riding this year. 

and that’s assuming we don’t get a January / February thaw. If that happens we may be in a bad spot. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ox said:

So, maybe I am missing sumpthing, but what does that last statement mean?

Some fresh water fish have worms in them but usually in the summer when the water gets warm. The Ahmic Lake perch were full of worms all year round. I caught then icefishing and have never seen worms in a fish caught through the ice.

yellow-grub-rotated.jpg

1 hour ago, 1049 said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that I will have to drive 8 hours minimum . I’m fine with that for now but going forward I may have to re think the whole thing .

I’ve told myself for a while now, getting away for one, maybe two multi day rides/trips and a couple of day rides is enough and what I’ve come to expect…. no longer the get away every weekend rides that usually started sooner. 

• Like 1

I had the exact same conversation yesterday with one of my riding buddies, He has a cotttage just west of Sprucedale. Weekend trips seem to be a thing of the past in recent years. A few select days there for decent riding. Have to travel further to get decent conditions. Maybe 2-3 trips aseason.

My son has a cottage 30 minutes east of Ville-Marie Quebec we will use it for our starting point and do some day rides from there for this year I’ve done Gaspie the last two years 

This pic was taken north of Red Lake ON.     For those who dont know where it is, the pavement ends there.    Its just gravel roads north.   Barely any snow there either.   

416135712_871280041673584_8425564846394346474_n.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This pic is Thunder Bay Friday Dec. 29:

TBay 122923.jpg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

This pic is Thunder Bay Friday Dec. 29:

TBay 122923.jpg

Understand that is Lake Superior Harbor in TBay. That might not be totally indicative of what ice conditions are in the region. For instance...  Wawa lake is open but, many of the remote tourism lakes, are frozen, in the area. I could have fished on the Magpie this past week. Many locals were fishing Oba, and Esnagi lakes, this week. It has been warmer, and less snow no doubt. None of the Superior Bays, or Superior itself, was frozen, on our drive home down hwy 17, Wawa to the Sault, today. Even the St Mary's is open, and the locks were free of ice, with many freighters waiting for the locks, to go up, and down from the big lake. Ski  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, skidooboy said:

That might not be totally indicative of what ice conditions are in the region.

If you look closely you would see the line where the open water starts just beyond the docks.

14 hours ago, stoney said:

Once the snow starts, many places will be in business......not places close to most of us, but that should not be surprising to any.

Last year Port Sydney didnt open till early Feb after the huge snow dump then thaw in Jan. Tall Pines, ASC and Baysville can usually get groomers going with a foot or 2 of snow. I rode 6500kms last season with half of that in Quebec.

2 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Everyone seems so surprised about this weather. It’s only going to get worse

It was only a few years ago we had record snow and cold and then flooding in the spring in Muskoka. Also 16' or 17' we were riding at Christmas and kept going till April! 
I'm certain its not the carbon which is essential to life on earth causing the warm up. Its that giant continuously exploding ball of fire in the sky called the Sun. Thats believable. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If you look closely you would see the line where the open water starts just beyond the docks.

I guess I dont understand what the photo was representing then. I thought you posted it to show, no ice on the lake in TBay. If I have misjudged the pic, and intent, I apologize. 

When I say, the locals were fishing, and I could have fished... I mean these guys were riding atvs across frozen swamps, lakes, rivers, to get to the fishing areas (Look up Oba lake, Esnagi, they are huge bodies of water). We have ice inland, just not enough snow, to utilize the sleds yet. Ski 

Talked to a friend who has a place in St Zenon QC.    He said they are expecting 10cm today and another 10cm tomorrow.   If it comes to fruition, they will send the groomer out to start packing.   He did say they are still 2-3 weeks away min from “yellow trails”.  

• Thanks 1