Guess on first yellow OFSC trails?

markweist

Itching for south of hwy 60 green trails but yellow will do.  I’m thinking/hoping for Dec 18th.  Early Christmas present.  Your guesstimate?

I will have to agree with your date/timeline for somewhere in the Province.

If we're talking south of #60 - I'm going with January

• Like 1

If I was a betting man, I would keep my eye on Kawartha lakes Snowmobile club District 8, between Fennlon falls and Kinmount for a Christmas cobweb shaker limited riding. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

All great guesses.  I am going to say 

top B in stone-cliff to mattawa  area will be open on Dec 22 in time for weekend 😎

Top A is the trail that goes past Stonecliffe to the A112A which goes to Mattawa.

I'll go with some of the trails north of the A trail in the longlac area.

Shirley several of us have already had yellow snow this year.

No?

• Haha 2

What’s everyone think if district 5 can only open trails for a handful of days every year, will ofsc eventually say it’s not worth equipment investment in those trails, even though it’s volunteers doing a chunk of work? 
This equipment could be better utilized thru snow belt and improve rider experience no doubt.
At same time will loose permit buyers, trails forever once closed. 

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

What’s everyone think if district 5 can only open trails for a handful of days every year, will ofsc eventually say it’s not worth equipment investment in those trails, even though it’s volunteers doing a chunk of work? 
This equipment could be better utilized thru snow belt and improve rider experience no doubt.

image.gif.d645ab76b09b27eb3f4edec163e139af.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

You'll never get them back.

Do what you need to do to keep them going and control what you can control.

The weather is the only thing you can't control.

Hopefully with all the carbon taxes collected- the weather will get more wintery again. :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

The OFSC is obviously aware of the weather issues in District 5 as well as other Districts. District 5 is I believe one of the top 3-4 Districts for permit sales in the OFSC so it would be a hard decision for the OFSC to shut it down and risk loosing a lot of permit sales.  There will likely not be many new groomers allocated to District 5 if the short seasons continue as should be the case. I believe as long as there is a good volunteer base to do the hard work, District 5 will continue to do the best it can for snowmobiling in our area. JMHO

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

My vote is for Bridgepoint snowmobile club.  LoL. 

I sure hope you are right V2! We'll only be 2-3 weeks after you then.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, zoso said:

There is a good amount of snow in the far north right now.

Seen some recent pics from Hearst… guys riding around town etc. Also seen some pics from Quebec area… lots of snow and people

out riding 

cant trust forecast ,if they are saying low snow it will probably be great winter !!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Figured with snow covered lawn here in the Steel City there might be some yellow in the nord.

Just checked - all red :(

I think areas are getting close though - i see rinks frozen and being used in northern and northwestern ontario.

Can't wait

I remember someone on here saying due to ofsc insurance regulations or something like that that you wont see any open trails until after December 1 if they are even ready by then!

2 hours ago, Johnny_5oh said:

I remember someone on here saying due to ofsc insurance regulations or something like that that you wont see any open trails until after December 1 if they are even ready by then!

I sure that I was told a few years ago that groomers are not to start grooming snow until Dec.1 but I'm old with a bad memory so.....   I guess if that is correct, they could at least start packing without the drag before that.

3 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Figured with snow covered lawn here in the Steel City there might be some yellow in the nord.

Just checked - all red :(

I think areas are getting close though - i see rinks frozen and being used in northern and northwestern ontario.

Can't wait

Early yet mid December is earliest anything seems to be open.  It’s a start for sure. Let’s see if forest opens trails soon for a first ride 😎

OFSC app is working as today.  Has a cool new feature where it tracks positioning.  Can’t wait to use it.  But first I’m off to eastern Quebec on private land to scratch the itch on Monday. Ripp’n & Gripp’n. 

• Like 5