Snowmobile Maintenance / Purchases

stoney

With permits now on sale / being ordered and some nice cooler weather - what is on the to do list this year before season starts or perhaps pending purchases, purges, etc.....

Here is what I got:

• Install new ski guides on the sled trailer - bought from Royal a week or so ago
  • Already replaced the tongue jack

• Rebuild both skid shocks on sled and re-valve
  • New sliders
  • Inspect skid while I am at it
  • Clean & grease rollers on primary clutch clutch & replace any worn parts
  • Maybe a new belt
  • Looking to buy a new seat for sled - either new comfort seat or a seat from the 850, something that is a bit taller

• On the fence about replacing fuel pump sock & filter
  • Considering buying a tune for my sled as well to give it a bit more jam.....
  •  

14 hours ago, stoney said:

With permits now on sale / being ordered and some nice cooler weather - what is on the to do list this year before season starts or perhaps pending purchases, purges, etc.....

Here is what I got:

• Looking to buy a new seat for sled - either new comfort seat or a seat from the 850, something that is a bit taller

Did that already, Will see which is better. I bought it off some guy in Barrie. He still has one on Kijiji. 

Maintenance for me

- new trailer tires.

- not buying $75.00 a jug oil.............................Yay!

• Like 1

General tune up, new belt and exhaust temp sensor replacement, it failed last ride of the season, have had no time to get to it yet.

think at Christmas, studding the kids new sled, if they don’t book hockey between now and then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stoney said:

Here is what I got:

• Install new ski guides on the sled trailer - bought from Royal a week or so ago

• New sliders
  • Maybe a new belt

•  

Should do chaincase oil and check tension. Sock on fuel pump will last life of sled. I haven’t touched one yet. 
I only use air and brake cleaner on clutches now. Oil don’t do them any good. Last twice as long being dry. You wash that new belt before you put it on 👍

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Did that already, Will see which is better. I bought it off some guy in Barrie. He still has one on Kijiji. 

Maintenance for me

- new trailer tires.

- not buying $75.00 a jug oil.............................Yay!

The 2-moke oil is replaced by the engine oil filter and kit at the end of these season though......I think around $125.00...lol

Which seat did you buy, I assume one from an 850?

Care to send me a link to that ad with the other seat for sale - TYIA.

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Should do chaincase oil and check tension. Sock on fuel pump will last life of sled. I haven’t touched one yet. 
I only use air and brake cleaner on clutches now. Oil don’t do them any good. Last twice as long being dry. You wash that new belt before you put it on 👍

Oil and chain case is done at end of season - never let the old stuff sit all summer!

I am guessing your Doo has a different primary clutch, but on the p-drive you need to clean and grease the rollers - that brake cleaner you use will take away all the Isoflex grease that you really want to keep on those rollers!

Might want to double check what primary clutch you have, you might be doing things all wrong. 

• Like 1

Top up oil and gas and go

• Like 2

Did oil change and chaincase in spring .Pulled skid and replaced sliders a couple weeks ago .also noticed helper spring on front shock was busted.Should be good to go.If you have older r motion i would check your spring on front shock of skid .I think mine was busted for a while and i had no idea

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stoney said:

The 2-moke oil is replaced by the engine oil filter and kit at the end of these season though......I think around $125.00...lol

I think I read some where you don’t have to do oil filter every time, especially if you haven’t hit 6,000 km’s since last change. I have half that mileage so I just quickly drain oil and leave filter alone 😎

6 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

You obviously haven't read or heard about all the Doo failures attributed to the fuel sock. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You obviously haven't read or heard about all the Doo failures attributed to the fuel sock. 

Never had a fuel pump failure or trouble with doo’s. Never changed fuel filter sock either. Highest mileage one I had was my 2012 600 etec 17,000 km’s before I sold it. Maybe I am just lucky 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I think I read some where you don’t have to do oil filter every time, especially if you haven’t hit 6,000 km’s since last change. I have half that mileage so I just quickly drain oil and leave filter alone 😎

Do you shower and put on dirty underwear....

The filter and o-rings are the cheaper part, oil is the bigger expense so it only makes sense to me to change it all, but to each their own.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

24 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Never had a fuel pump failure or trouble with doo’s. Never changed fuel filter sock either. Highest mileage one I had was my 2012 600 etec 17,000 km’s before I sold it. Maybe I am just lucky 🤷🏽‍♂️

Seems to be an issue selectively affecting some people - but you also only tend to hear all the bad situation on the internet.

How many sled have no issues compared to those that did or do or those that did the sock change just because?

First people were blaming bad Canadian gas in Northern QC and ON, than it was a sock issue from dirt in the tanks from factory.....

@Candubrain I think posted his sock change results on Dootalk with I think a fair number of miles on his sled, socked looked black, but I do not think he had issues and just did it as precautionary measure.

Hence, why I am on the fence about that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stoney said:

850 X seat. Ill send you the link

• Like 1

Had to replace fuel filter and sock on a 22  900  R  at 4000 k . When the dealer ran the vin # he said we will need to replace the fuel pump and sock , common problem ,  parts are here on the shelve .   Then he says should be ready by 10 am tomorrow , can  l book you a motel .  It is 2 in the afternoon .  My daughter is off to the side listening see tells me to take a walk she wants to talk to them .  I am outside take a glance in. Karley has the service manager, sales guy and 2 service techs behind the counter they are laughing  and smiles all around . Not sure what was  happening , But they put 2 techs on it . Back on the trail by 5.30  .   

• Like 7

If I had a 900 Turbo with 5000kms + on it I would be doing the fuel sock as preventative maintenance.    

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 5:15 PM, stoney said:

Here is what I got:

• New sliders
  • Maybe a new belt

•  

I had my sled serviced at Ledger a few weeks ago. New fluids, replaced the rear springs and a once over. Picked up a medium height wind screen Monday.

The wife's sled and my Cat saw limited miles last winter so a quick once over and grease, maybe some carbides for wife sled.

Trailer got a full service earlier this year. I do need to find one tail light for it.

Bigger project I got is a tow rig. I sold my Dodge 1500 late last year and used my '07 F250 work truck to pull the trailer but its got issues. Early summer I found diesel fuel in the coolant and last month it blew the engine oil cooler coolant fitting. She's a goner. I picked up a 2007 F350 CCLB Harley Edition as a replacement 2 weeks ago. Its in now getting a safety then it gets a clean up, some paint work, new sound system and a flat deck. Raiding parts from the old work truck as much as I can before I sell off the remains.

IMG_6631.thumb.jpeg.fdb95e7d5a8ec802ebfa8b7dd917bd73.jpeg

And then there is the Kitty Cat to get working on, and I hope to get the '79 SRX running as well as the '79 ET300.   🤪

• Like 5

11 hours ago, coldfinger said:

Had to replace fuel filter and sock on a 22  900  R  at 4000 k . When the dealer ran the vin # he said we will need to replace the fuel pump and sock , common problem ,  parts are here on the shelve .   Then he says should be ready by 10 am tomorrow , can  l book you a motel .  It is 2 in the afternoon .  My daughter is off to the side listening see tells me to take a walk she wants to talk to them .  I am outside take a glance in. Karley has the service manager, sales guy and 2 service techs behind the counter they are laughing  and smiles all around . Not sure what was  happening , But they put 2 techs on it . Back on the trail by 5.30  .   

Wowsie that’s early. What did they find in there? I buy most of my gas in Jerry cans. I filter fuel with a very fine filter when I pour it in. I see squat on filter after pouring out 100’s of gallons of fuel, into garden tractors, atv, pressure washers etc. So for that reason in theory sock should be fine unless ethonal eats it and remains clogg fuel pump 🤷🏽‍♂️

7 hours ago, stoney said:

Lucky guy to have options to occupy your time…lol

No pushing snow this year and winding down the business (I think), you’ll need a full list to keep you busy!

yes, I have all my projects plus the stuff the wife wants to do…..lol

The business is slowing down without my help. Very low demand and a ton of new competition in the industry. 

18 hours ago, stoney said:

@Candubrain I think posted his sock change results on Dootalk with I think a fair number of miles on his sled, socked looked black, but I do not think he had issues and just did it as precautionary measure.

Hence, why I am on the fence about that.

That is correct, 16,000kms and not needed, but glad I did, some debris from manufacturing found in the bowl.   See my photos in post #24 in this link

https://www.dootalk.com/threads/borescope-inspection-of-fuel-filter-sock.1619800/#post-24120694

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

yes, I have all my projects plus the stuff the wife wants to do…..lol

The business is slowing down without my help. Very low demand and a ton of new competition in the industry. 

Your wife knows what is best for you....

You do not see many pools going in these days and I assume the new players on the block do not have their names plastered, so not noticed, at least not that I have seen. 

11 hours ago, scottyr said:

If I had a 900 Turbo with 5000kms + on it I would be doing the fuel sock as preventative maintenance.    

Of course you would .

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Wowsie that’s early. What did they find in there? I buy most of my gas in Jerry cans. I filter fuel with a very fine filter when I pour it in. I see squat on filter after pouring out 100’s of gallons of fuel, into garden tractors, atv, pressure washers etc. So for that reason in theory sock should be fine unless ethonal eats it and remains clogg fuel pump 🤷🏽‍♂️

Not a fuel issue , part and manufacture issue .