New trailer

soupkids

4 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Another interesting thing about the 3.0L D Max, is the belt driven oil pump. It runs off the back of the crankshaft,  which GMC recommends a service interval of 150,000 miles.  Of course the tranny, and transfer case need to be pulled, in order to service that. Interesting,  since the fuel pump and camshafts are chain driven..

If you tow allot chances are it will wear out sooner? Lucky you don’t keep trucks that long that sounds worse then expensive timing belt replacements on Honda and Volkswagen engines. 

8 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Another interesting thing about the 3.0L D Max, is the belt driven oil pump. It runs off the back of the crankshaft,  which GMC recommends a service interval of 150,000 miles.  Of course the tranny, and transfer case need to be pulled, in order to service that. Interesting,  since the fuel pump and camshafts are chain driven..

They will change out the belt when they are changing the the tranny at 120,000km for you.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Sksman said:

They will change out the belt when they are changing the the tranny at 120,000km for you.

Have you also noticed GM along with everyone else, has moved to a 5 year, 100,000km powertrain warranty now, from there 5 year 160,000km one....Gotta love it..

2 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Have you also noticed GM along with everyone else, has moved to a 5 year, 100,000km powertrain warranty now, from there 5 year 160,000km one....Gotta love it..

The average buyer will run out of time before the Km for warranty.

they expect 20,000kms/yr as max. For most drivers.

4 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

All about keeping costs down. Drive it to 90,000 km’s and trade it. We live in a disposable society today. Farm equipment same thing today too. Some equipment only has a 2 year warranty, down from 5 or 7 years in past. Atv’s only a few years too. 

Hmmm, belt driven oil pump.....sounds like a ingenious idea. I hope it does not catch on....

Some diesels now also use heating elements to warm the cold air for start up which if I am not mistaken replaces the glow plugs......but both still need to be "charged" before you start the engine.

Just like gas engines, there is winter diesel that better handles the cold or extreme cold for easier start up......given how much more fuel pressure that a diesel runs, I would think it is even more of a factor for a diesel than a gasser.

And there is a filter that separates the water from the diesel fuel......I imagine these become even more critical in the cold weather when trying to start a diesel in the cold & need to ensure you are keeping up with there service interval.

I remember when Fiat first introduced there 1/2 ton diesel in NA and the biggest issue were the owners that lived in colder climates vs. the warmer ones.....I assume that has been resolved since they have been around for about 6 years now.

How about some pictures of the new trailer that is being setup, since this thread is about trailer after all.

My truck is leased through my biz. and I get a new one every 2 years. With the American market hungry for used Canadian pickup trucks I'm sure there's other ways to keep with a vehicle under warranty.  I've just come to terms with the fact that I prefer cost certainty around my transportation needs. Sure I'd like my vehicle to be paid for but declining reliability as it gets older and the risk of losing my daily driver are not worth the trouble.

Folks, we have to face the facts that emission regs are getting stricter. I have a '20 1500 AT4 w/3.0 duramax. This is a big truck and I get approx. 10ltr/100km hwy and 13.5ltr/km pulling my 7x16 enclosed trailer.  There's a good video on uTube  that goes into details on why the oil pump belt is what it is.  One benefit is that it makes for a more quite engine and that's something I can attest to.

Also, coming from a manufacturing background, a modern vehicle is an amazing value for the consumer. Sure $80k now for fully loaded new truck that has incredible performance, features, and efficiency.  I've purchased a handful of custom made, Stainless brackets for work that cost almost that much.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're plan is to buy a new truck and drive it for 20 years, be prepared for the risks around that. It isn't 1995 any more and the old strategies around major purchases are likely obsolete.  We must change with the times, otherwise we'll be left behind holding onto things that no longer have value.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Puggz said:

My truck is leased through my biz. and I get a new one every 2 years. With the American market hungry for used Canadian pickup trucks I'm sure there's other ways to keep with a vehicle under warranty.  I've just come to terms with the fact that I prefer cost certainty around my transportation needs. Sure I'd like my vehicle to be paid for but declining reliability as it gets older and the risk of losing my daily driver are not worth the trouble.

Folks, we have to face the facts that emission regs are getting stricter. I have a '20 1500 AT4 w/3.0 duramax. This is a big truck and I get approx. 10ltr/100km hwy and 13.5ltr/km pulling my 7x16 enclosed trailer.  There's a good video on uTube  that goes into details on why the oil pump belt is what it is.  One benefit is that it makes for a more quite engine and that's something I can attest to.

Also, coming from a manufacturing background, a modern vehicle is an amazing value for the consumer. Sure $80k now for fully loaded new truck that has incredible performance, features, and efficiency.  I've purchased a handful of custom made, Stainless brackets for work that cost almost that much.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're plan is to buy a new truck and drive it for 20 years, be prepared for the risks around that. It isn't 1995 any more and the old strategies around major purchases are likely obsolete.  We must change with the times, otherwise we'll be left behind holding onto things that no longer have value.

Typically I trade in every 4 to 5 years. The longest I have ever kept one was 6 years and that was because the km's were below my 4 to 5 year typical. I always buy instead of lease and when I trade in it has a good residual value. Typically there has been a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 year power train warranty. I want confidence that when I turn the key it's going to start and get me where I want to go.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Typically I trade in every 4 to 5 years. The longest I have ever kept one was 6 years and that was because the km's were below my 4 to 5 year typical. I always buy instead of lease and when I trade in it has a good residual value. Typically there has been a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 year power train warranty. I want confidence that when I turn the key it's going to start and get me where I want to go.

3 year or 60,000km warranty 

5 yr or 100,000km powertrain warranty

60,000km is 12 to 14 months for me. 

Vehicle manufacturers have a good idea when items will fail.   

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up new Polaris 850 SKS 146 IN Hearst this week. Had to make a delivery first in Cochrane which was equal to 2 sleds and then just my new sled back home. Was driving an F250 6.7L diesel with 26ft trailer. Had to drive for a 300km in 4x4 due to road conditions. As in picture averaged 17.4L/100 over 2200km from near London to Hearst and back and included idle time while eating meals since eating in wasn't allowed. Power to go, to pass any vehicle or accelerate up any hill.

PXL_20210114_131334329.jpg

IMG_20180203_0906557.jpg

• Like 1

Nice setup.

1 hour ago, Yamatario said:

Picked up new Polaris 850 SKS 146 IN Hearst this week. Had to make a delivery first in Cochrane which was equal to 2 sleds and then just my new sled back home. Was driving an F250 6.7L diesel with 26ft trailer. Had to drive for a 300km in 4x4 due to road conditions. As in picture averaged 17.4L/100 over 2200km from near London to Hearst and back and included idle time while eating meals since eating in wasn't allowed. Power to go, to pass any vehicle or accelerate up any hill.

PXL_20210114_131334329.jpg

IMG_20180203_0906557.jpg

My 18 Sierra with 5.3 pulling 6 × 14 cargo trailer gets 18l/100kms travelling 240kms.

41 minutes ago, thetorches said:

My 18 Sierra with 5.3 pulling 6 × 14 cargo trailer gets 18l/100kms travelling 240kms.

I was down to 17.1 and then slowly climbed to 17.4, figured maybe stronger head wind as terrain was flatter and tried to keep speed reasonable .

2 hours ago, Yamatario said:

Thank you for sharing this information Yamatario. A one way trip to Hearst from the GTA is  approximately 900km. (9x17.4=156L) Today’s price of diesel is about $1.05 X 156L = $163 one way or $326 round trip. As you mentioned weather conditions, road conditions, or 2 apex’s in the trailer may increase this amount to over $400. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Re:Leaf said:

Thank you for sharing this information Yamatario. A one way trip to Hearst from the GTA is  approximately 900km. (9x17.4=156L) Today’s price of diesel is about $1.05 X 156L = $163 one way or $326 round trip. As you mentioned weather conditions, road conditions, or 2 apex’s in the trailer may increase this amount to over $400. 

Yep, would have been a lot cheaper to buy a new sled closer to home but there none around here any more.

PXL_20210111_194605112.jpg

PXL_20210111_194553090.jpg

• Like 3

It was definitely worth the drive as you picked up a great sled. Congratulations 

On 12/28/2020 at 8:29 AM, Turbo Doo said:

Prob. because there's what-9 speeds now!