Screwed Over

Muskoka_Mike

Hi Everyone, I purchased a used sled this year off Kijiji. I did about 65km on the sled and the engine blew (there was only about 5000km on the sled). It is costing me over $4000 for the repair. Is there anyway that I could recoup some of the costs from the person who sold it to me? He told me that the sled was in great shape, and that he gets it serviced every year at the dealership. The engine blew because the carb sockets were worn out, causing the engine to lean. Does anyone know a good lawyer to use if I take it to small claims court? Thanks.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

buyer beware is what kijiji states,did you buy it within 30 days of blow up

that is too bad I have never seen anyone recoup their losses from a private sale through a lawyer. Perhaps try and have a conversation with the guy. Just curious though what did the bill of sale say?

That sucks man. Sorry to hear about it.

I would contact the seller to have a conversation.

Did you take it to your mechanic or dealer to have it looked over after purchasing?

The shop charging you 4 k for the repair is worse than the guy that sold it too you imo. Shop elsewhere, to do a full top and bottom end is no where near that.

Unless the bill of sale stated it has warranty or such, your crap out of luck.

Try talking to the guy who sold it to you, and get another quote on repairs too!

Oh man, that sucks! Sorry to hear....I would definitely be having a conversation with the guy...it might not help but it's worth a try. I don't think you can do anything about it in court though.

The shop charging you 4 k for the repair is worse than the guy that sold it too you imo. Shop elsewhere, to do a full top and bottom end is no where near that.

this for sure, probably get a good used for a lot cheaper

4,000 does seem like a lot to replace a motor in a used snowmobile.

Not sure about a replacement motor for your machine, but two-and-a-half years ago I blew up a Polaris 550 fan and the local Polaris dealer told me about "Indy Salvage" near Rosseau.

I got a used replacement engine with 1800 miles and good compression for a thousand bucks. For another few hundred the dealer swapped the motors, replaced my carbides and sliders, and did a spring service.

Not much you can do as far as recouping costs from the seller. The carb boots should have been checked during the preseason inspection. Post up a copy of the repair bill for 4k, that sounds like a more interesting debate.

Hi Everyone, I purchased a used sled this year off Kijiji. I did about 65km on the sled and the engine blew (there was only about 5000km on the sled). It is costing me over $4000 for the repair. Is there anyway that I could recoup some of the costs from the person who sold it to me? He told me that the sled was in great shape, and that he gets it serviced every year at the dealership. The engine blew because the carb sockets were worn out, causing the engine to lean. Does anyone know a good lawyer to use if I take it to small claims court? Thanks.

I would have to say you are crap out of luck. A seller has absolutely no reponsibility to that sled after it left his garage. And as others have said, find another service center, becasue that one seems to be wanting to stick it to you dry. Call around to some of the sled salvage yards to find a replacement engine, and save yourself a couple of grand.

And don't bother spending you money on a lawyer. The only one that is sure to win is him. 

Carb sockets?

I think we've all seen sleds blow up/seize/squeak on the first ride of the season. Pull the carbs apart & the float bowl(s) and/or jet(s) are green. 

A rebuilt 600SDI short block from BRP is $2800 including a $700 core charge.

I would have to say you are crap out of luck. A seller has absolutely no reponsibility to that sled after it left his garage. And as others have said, find another service center, becasue that one seems to be wanting to stick it to you dry. Call around to some of the sled salvage yards to find a replacement engine, and save yourself a couple of grand.

And don't bother spending you money on a lawyer. The only one that is sure to win is him. 

i would also do this right away if its at a shop before they start to take it a part.

Carb sockets?

I think we've all seen sleds blow up/seize/squeak on the first ride of the season. Pull the carbs apart & the float bowl(s) and/or jet(s) are green. 

A rebuilt 600SDI short block from BRP is $2800 including a $700 core charge.

Which you get back. If it was a lean failure it may not even need a complete engine 

unfortunately, you bought used, and no expressed, or implied warrantee.

carb boots... especially on doo's, and especially with these new drier fuels, and ethanol, cause these issues and should be checked before each season at a minimum. first ride after storage burndowns, are the most common with snowmobiles.  

sorry for your experience, maybe there is a more cost effective way for you to get back on the snow. I do wish you luck. Ski

Some of you will probably hate me, but when I've sold any sleds, I've written "sold as is" on the bill of sale.

Yes it was running when you bought it & it was running fine the last ride of the previous season. I can't be responsible for operator error, full bore lake runs w/o a proper warmups et cetera after the sled has left my hands.

this for sure $4g that are ripping you off big time

that said you are SOL unfortunately

1991 Indy 500 I bought in 96 or 97, 1st half hr I rode the crank went maybe 25miles

3 yrs ago 1995 XCR 600 400miles and the crank went

I am shopping for a newer sled, and my biggest fear is a blown engine , but used is used , you can buy one and it last while others dont'

I bought my 583 in 01 with 10,200km and ran it for another 7000kms, engine never touched

Sleds are always a crap shoot

I really doubt the previous owner had any idea this could happen so fast. I feel bad for ya, and agree with the rest. 4 k is to much.

The small block had to be replaced, so did the cover cylinder head and the socket carburetor. Those parts alone cost over 2500 not including tax and labour. Total parts costs 3168.69 (including tax) and they estimated $1300 for labour to rebuild the engine. It is being done at the ski doo dealership near our cottage, where we take all of our skidoos and seadoo for repairs. The engine is going to be pretty much brand new, and there will be a warranty on the engine as well. I am trying to avoid any downtime in the future with my sled, which is why I am getting it done at the dealership.

The bill of sale said "as is". I have a feeling that there is nothing I can do, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and tell me what they did, hoping they did not just bite the bullet.

Below is a list of all the items that needed to be replaced

1 Short Block -$2,097.99

2 Gasket Valves Rod Housings - 6.99 each

2 O-Rings $0.99 each

1 Gasket $10.99

2 Gaskets (different part number) $9.99 each

2 Ring-Rubber $11.99 each

2 O-RIngs (different part Number) $12.49 each

1 Cover-Cylinder Head $278.99

2 Socket Carburetors $141.99 each

2 Clamp Oetiker $3.99 each

2 Spark Plugs $19.66 each

I am not mechanical at all, so please bare with me if you have any technical questions.

Hey mike, I know a guy in brace ridge that you can talk to about the rebuild. Shoot me a msg if your interested.

I think I know who you mean, I was told to talk to a specific guy in Bracebridge by a few people and I did. He told me the same thing as the dealership. I can't remember his name though.

Get a second opinion on the engine damage. Are the pistons still in tact (ie no metal fell into bottom of engine). If you live near Wildbill, it would be worth it to drop it off there and see what he says. As far as going back to previous owner, I doubt he even knew the carb boots were bad. Most sales are a tail light warranty, once the seller can no longer see the tail lights of the vechile he is in the clear. I once bought a used car and transmission went a few weeks after the sale. I had to fork out 2800 to fix it. I write sold as is, on my bills of sale, when I sell something. Never had one person come back yet.

Skidoo engines aren't cheap to fix....but in reality what engine really is? It doesn't suprise me that is the price to fix it. I read a lot of reviews on the new skidoos and lots of people saying their engines are blowing within 10k and is costing them anywhere from $2-4k in repairs depending on damage.

It is possible but would have to be a brutal engine failure to often short blocks are used for shop expediency rather than the customers best interest if the shops labour rate is 130 per hour it does not take long to add up. 

Judging by the fact that the head had to be replaced this sounds like a brutal failure with debris throughout the replacement of the short block may have been the best choice we now only use factory Ski-Doo short blocks if needed as we have had extreme nightmares with Adrian Bernard short blocks and cranks 

Archived