Screwed Over

Muskoka_Mike

There was debris in the engine. The piston had a bunch of chunks taken out of it, and the head also had a lot of chunks missing as well. I have pictures, but I don't know how to upload them.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for your luck, but I believe as others have said that you are SOL on recouping any cost from the PO. The only one who will make anything is the lawyer (from experience)

$4K for repairs is way out of line. Get a second or third quote!

That is always the chance you take buying used.

Tell them its just simply more than you want to spend and see what they can do (alternate source for parts)  to get the cost more reasonable or you will be forced to look elsewhere.

Some of you will probably hate me, but when I've sold any sleds, I've written "sold as is" on the bill of sale.

Yes it was running when you bought it & it was running fine the last ride of the previous season. I can't be responsible for operator error, full bore lake runs w/o a proper warmups et cetera after the sled has left my hands.

That is the only way to do it.  Things can go from running fine to major failure the next day that can't be forseen.  But how many times have you seen someone jump on an sled in a freezing cold day and pin it before its warmed up. 

Its sucks when things go bad, but if the buyer did his homework and properly checked out the machine, there is little you can do but chalk it up to bad luck.

You can't be liable for anything once it is out of your hands, so "as is where is" is the only way to sell used items. 

I have a friend that sold a small Pick-up truck.  A year later the engine failed.  The buyer, laughably, filed in small claims court for the full purchase price of the truck.

Here is the best part!  He won!!  The truck was sold as-is, however the judge found in favour of the buyer AND there was no order to return the truck to the seller.  The seller had to refund the full purchase price and the buyer kept the truck.

Never say never!!

I do not agree this should have occurred, but it happened.

I have a friend that sold a small Pick-up truck.  A year later the engine failed.  The buyer, laughably, filed in small claims court for the full purchase price of the truck.

Here is the best part!  He won!!  The truck was sold as-is, however the judge found in favour of the buyer AND there was no order to return the truck to the seller.  The seller had to refund the full purchase price and the buyer kept the truck.

Never say never!!

What was the buyers argument and what caused the judge to rule in favor of the buyer?

I once had sled that was giving me troubles.  It was used, had quite a few kms on it.  I took it to a dealer to get serviced up, $500 later had it back, that same afternoon I put on about 60 kms, and a bottom bearing seized.  Ended up trading it in for parts on another sled he had.  Sometimes that stuff happens.  :-(

What was the buyers argument and what caused the judge to rule in favor of the buyer?

Buyer argued that the seller sold the vehicle with a safety and that the failure was pre-mature.  I have NO idea what would cause the judge to rule in the buyer's favour.  Its beyond me to understand how any private sale of a used motor vehicle could have any sort of implied warranty.  This occurred about 15 years ago.  I was shocked!

Never say never!!

Let me guess your friend represented himself?

There was debris in the engine. The piston had a bunch of chunks taken out of it, and the head also had a lot of chunks missing as well. I have pictures, but I don't know how to upload them.

That sounds like more causes than a leaky carb boot how many k on the engine? what year and model?

2009 Ski Doo 600 Etec with around 5100km on the engine (see my display picture)

Buyer argued that the seller sold the vehicle with a safety and that the failure was pre-mature.  I have NO idea what would cause the judge to rule in the buyer's favour.  Its beyond me to understand how any private sale of a used motor vehicle could have any sort of implied warranty.  This occurred about 15 years ago.  I was shocked!

If it was 15 years ago, I don't think I can count on that ruling since, I am sure, the laws have changed since than.

Regardless, he would have needed a safety to put it on the road.  What would a judge understand about pre-mature failures?  Esp after driving it for a year.

ETec?

I don't understand how a safety would have anything to do with the engine unless it's spewing fire or leaking exhaust.  An engine failure would have noithing to do with a safety.

Have a guy with a Yamaha 4 stroke with the same situation but he was the seller.  Was running fine and then comes back and says theengine blew up just idling on the truck.  That's the nature of buying and selling used.  It's at your own risk.

Anyway, I would suggest trying to find a used engine if the block is borked that much.

I had the same this happen to me about a dozen years ago. Caveat Emptor. I was in a rush bought the sled he hadn't properly stored or serviced the sled (I found out later) and I was impatient taking it out for a ride before I thoroughly serviced the sled. I don't think you have any recourse but that rebuild job seems very high I would shop around and get some other quotes. If your in Muskoka go see Wild Bill at Rosseau Road you know you're going to get an honest assessment.

I do not want to even see it the bill will be higher than the quote they will get a surprise extra issue nothing against the dealership the ETECs are a nightmare when they fail likely also has a bad injector too 

Let me guess your friend represented himself?

Small claims....  Figured it was frivolous....  So ya.

Is there a OMVIC for sleds? It is a motor vehicle. When you buy a car and something goes wrong the buyer can call for legal help @ 1-800-943-6002 X5105

I don't know, these ski-doo etecs are for the birds if you ask me, ya there quick, ya they use less oil and gas if you ride it like your mother would, but for the cost of repair, you blow ten fold what you save on gas and oil. I'll stick to deano, the crank bearings are pricy and it keeps the oil companies going, but it doesn't cost anywhere near the kind of coin to rebuilt as we are talking here.

I do not want to even see it the bill will be higher than the quote they will get a surprise extra issue nothing against the dealership the ETECs are a nightmare when they fail likely also has a bad injector too 

I agree sounds like a injector.The price seems high for a 600.A buddy of mine ,diehard skidoo guy switched to the 1200 .Only one to keep a engine in it.If it was a carbed model i could see a carb boot,but not etec.As for used sled ,buyer beware.

I don't know, these ski-doo etecs are for the birds if you ask me, ya there quick, ya they use less oil and gas if you ride it like your mother would, but for the cost of repair, you blow ten fold what you save on gas and oil. I'll stick to deano, the crank bearings are pricy and it keeps the oil companies going, but it doesn't cost anywhere near the kind of coin to rebuilt as we are talking here.

I was thinking the exact same thing on the drive home tonight, I also just watched a video on YouTube about the new etecs and how you'll only burn a tank of oil all season long....that's the problem right there IMO. I love the looks of the new skidoos, I'm sure we all know the suspension is probably the best in the industry...but I like my reliability that my yamaha has...everybody knows a yamaha will run forever.

the only thing stopping me from buying a skidoo....the engines are a ticking time bomb, otherwise if have one in my garage right now!

Regardless, he would have needed a safety to put it on the road.  What would a judge understand about pre-mature failures?  Esp after driving it for a year.

safeties do not involve engines????

Archived