not so good news from northern ontario

skidooboy

News from the Chapleau club. They had 20 people out to their Monday meeting and now have a new executive and board of directors and will be operating the coming season.  

Great news! Thanks for the update.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to in the Trent river topic...

Parks Canada finally took their thumb out of their bum and put everything back the way it was back in 2012...it all took effect Canada Day, I guess it was an out of the blue announcement.

Back to in the Trent river topic...

Parks Canada finally took their thumb out of their bum and put everything back the way it was back in 2012...it all took effect Canada Day, I guess it was an out of the blue announcement.

election 2015 

Great news! Thanks for the update.

This is great news.  Another year may be saved in time for Ontario to help those areas which are more needy and more deserving.  The future of the sport depends on Ontario's desire to save the northern trails!

O2 said:

From the traffic I see in Port Severn you could likely cut back operating hours Mon to Thu from May 16 to June 19 and also make the window May 16 to June 26.

After labour day September 1 you could probably cut back all days of the week since traffic plummets after that.

That makes perfect sense. Why have something open if the traffic doesn't warrant it? If you were to propse that on CHEX TV, the businesses w/ a vested interest would tar & feather you, then hang you from the lift locks for such talk ;-)

So you wind up with a comunity of rebels that keeps the urban legends alive (OFSC stole the trails etc.) and thats how you get the non permit riders on the trails.

You hear that in southern Ontario too.

The Mission Statement of the OFSC is as follows:

The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs is a volunteer led not-for-profit association, which through strong leadership, provides a wide range of quality programs and services to, and on behalf of, its member organizations. Our provincial network of organized snowmobile trails connects Ontario communities providing responsible riding experiences that are safe, enjoyable and environmentally sustainable.

In my opinion, closing trails and shutting off districts is contrary to this mission statement. There does need to be a change; either to the Mission Statement or the current trend.

The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs is a volunteer led not-for-profit association, which through strong leadership, provides a wide range of quality programs and services to, and on behalf of, its member organizations. Our provincial network of organized snowmobile trails connects Ontario communities providing responsible riding experiences that are safe, enjoyable and environmentally sustainable.

In my opinion, closing trails and shutting off districts is contrary to this mission statement. There does need to be a change; either to the Mission Statement or the current trend.

and your solution is? If you don't have the volunteer base or the money there isn't a magic wand or a silver bullet

So if it is a "Volunteer led association" why are the OSFC "leaders" a paid position?

They need to update their Mission Statement.

So if it is a "Volunteer led association" why are the OSFC "leaders" a paid position?

They need to update their Mission Statement.

Which ones are paid, pres, vice, second vice? I ask because it is my understanding these positions are not paid, we know for sure the governors are not paid. Administration and treasures are paid, understandably. ?...I also understand the paid positions are far less than overpaid. If we got to see the general Ledger, there would be no question, and I really believe at agm, as a group we should be forcing the issue. I can not sucessfully run my business with out looking at it, it is the nuts and bolts of the corp. We cannot make good judgement calls on our financial SUMMARY. Does anybody else agree with me, or am I manning left field on my own?

Which ones are paid, pres, vice, second vice? I ask because it is my understanding these positions are not paid, we know for sure the governors are not paid. Administration and treasures are paid, understandably. ?...I also understand the paid positions are far less than overpaid. If we got to see the general Ledger, there would be no question, and I really believe at agm, as a group we should be forcing the issue. I can not sucessfully run my business with out looking at it, it is the nuts and bolts of the corp. We cannot make good judgement calls on our financial SUMMARY. Does anybody else agree with me, or am I manning left field on my own?

x2

The President, VP and Governors are not paid a salary, just for expenses. 

I can see Admin employees being paid as it is a multi million dollar business. 

The OFSC is "led" by one paid person. The rest are just a bunch of sheep.

You have my vote!!

I'm good with that!

Absolutely agree.

AFAIK, only the administrative staff is paid. This does include the Executive Director, but does not include any of the elected positions (Pres, Vice, Sec / Treasurer, Governors, etc)

and your solution is? If you don't have the volunteer base or the money there isn't a magic wand or a silver bullet

I suppose it would be easier to change the Mission Statement, it would be way too much work to change the trend, develop leadership, and become organized....

• 1 month later...

And just as we did here at AGM 5 minutes ago, the majority of Clubs voted down the Boards recommendations.

The B of G recommended online sales only for 2016 and subsequent years.

Their recommendations were defeated and status quo is maintained, that is Trail Permits will still be sold by dealers, outlets, etc.

And just as we did here at AGM 5 minutes ago, the majority of Clubs voted down the Boards recommendations.

The B of G recommended online sales only for 2016 and subsequent years.

Their recommendations were defeated and status quo is maintained, that is Trail Permits will still be sold by dealers, outlets, etc.

As permit guy I would love to see all permits sold online.

That said I got some feedback from snowmobile dealers that sold our permits, last season.

One at least validated that while it did alleviate some of the burden, they didn't get those "I'm here anyway" sales of parts and accessories.

I think at least some permit sellers would like it to go back to no online sales.

Online sales will continue to increase in percentage of total. After the first year the issues have been pretty well resolved and second year buyers with an account will probably get it done in 90 seconds. Unfortunately data from paper forms are poor. Address checking is built in this year and several improvements have been made to get permits in mail quicker. We still need option of traditional paper Application and I am pleased that Clubs voted to retain old method at least for next few years.

Online sales will continue to increase in percentage of total. After the first year the issues have been pretty well resolved and second year buyers with an account will probably get it done in 90 seconds. Unfortunately data from paper forms are poor. Address checking is built in this year and several improvements have been made to get permits in mail quicker. We still need option of traditional paper Application and I am pleased that Clubs voted to retain old method at least for next few years.

X2

how about a better shipping rate so the Yankees can get in the on the early early buy? last year it was cheaper for me to wait and buy direct from the club, after the early early, and the club got to keep the first 30% directly. Ski

how about a better shipping rate so the Yankees can get in the on the early early buy? last year it was cheaper for me to wait and buy direct from the club, after the early early, and the club got to keep the first 30% directly. Ski

Now you know how I feel everytime I order something online from the US

Now you know how I feel everytime I order something online from the US

X2... I seldom order from the U.S although when I look online the purchase price is less. Add on the taxes, duty and brokerage fees and suddenly I can buy it cheaper here. If you are ordering from the U.S. check where the product is made first. If it's not made in the U.S. you are going to pay duty on it. I recently ordered sport shirts for my team with the company logo on it to wear at conferences etc. $26.95 U.S. was the company internal price. Even when shipped within the same company they needed a commercial invoice for the border declaration. With taxes duty and brokerage fees they were now about double the cost. They weren't made in the U.S.

X2... I seldom order from the U.S although when I look online the purchase price is less. Add on the taxes, duty and brokerage fees and suddenly I can buy it cheaper here. If you are ordering from the U.S. check where the product is made first. If it's not made in the U.S. you are going to pay duty on it. I recently ordered sport shirts for my team with the company logo on it to wear at conferences etc. $26.95 U.S. was the company internal price. Even when shipped within the same company they needed a commercial invoice for the border declaration. With taxes duty and brokerage fees they were now about double the cost. They weren't made in the U.S.

Until it's a custom part and no where in Canada can you buy one.

To avoid the brokerage fees. #1 don't use UPS shipping. #2 there is a shipping place in Port Huron you can ship your package to. They hold it and charge you $5 each package. Not a bad deal if you really need something.

Until it's a custom part and no where in Canada can you buy one.

To avoid the brokerage fees. #1 don't use UPS shipping. #2 there is a shipping place in Port Huron you can ship your package to. They hold it and charge you $5 each package. Not a bad deal if you really need something.

For me the cost of the gas to drive to the U.S. would be putting it too high in price. So far I guess I've been lucky and haven't had to get anything from the U.S. that wasn't available here. For you though the Port Huron option likely works well or for anyone close to the border.

Archived