not so good news from northern ontario

skidooboy

Fact is the needs, drive and desire of society as a whole has changed. Toured into Gore Bay on Saturday, the marina is maybe 30 percent full. Looked out into the North Channel, not a boat in sight. Sunday fished a shoal in the North Channel, saw one powerboat going west and one sail going east. Monday we drove into Little Current. 2 sailboats on the main dock (1800 foot dock)and half a dozen power tied to the finger docks. 10 years ago these places would have been very busy. Trent Severn used to be open 8am-8pm not that long ago. Is our problem pump prices of $1.51 or $1.85 marina or is it lifestyle?

Our kids, for the mainstream are totally different in their needs, drive and desire.

Oh. This is a NORTH/ SOUTH issue. The southern based voter elected government has no interest in anything outside of its power base. I saw an overview of where the political parties spent their advertising dollars and it certainly reflected their position.

As has been stated FFC might not be perfect but it is steps in the right direction. We have to realize that this winter ( Snowzilla 2014) was not a great starting point for FFC but we survived.

As for Northern Ontario, no clue, no answer. How do we recruit from the same small already burnt out volunteer base?

Val Tag fee would help.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing is cheap anymore. I see more families here putting in pools and staying put for the whole summer now. Boating is super expensive, if you count daily fuel, fuel to get boat and people to lake, ramp and docking fee's and insurance and tack on a cottage or motel rental as well. I use to put in 50 dollars in an afternoon in the boat alone, back in the late 90's. Sold it in 2002, when pump prices hit 70 cents a litre. I had a 115 hp Johnson 2 stroke outboard, was hard on fuel (it was a v4).

True VR, life IS expensive.  You wouldn't believe how many people are pouring money into their old 6hp to 30hp outboards, just to keep them alive, 'cause a new 9.9 4 stroke is close to 3 grand.  Guys are buying Summits and riding off-trail, because that's what our local trend is lately.  Most of them cheat the trail permit system too, but not all.  20 years ago it would be nothing for me to burn 10 gallons of gas in my boat on the weekend, not now !  Sledding, well I've got a gas guzzler 670, so I try to keep miles under control.  Heck, a new Expedition Sport 600 or 900 ACE would probably pay for itself in fuel savings if a guy rode it lots.

Times have changed, peoples' needs have changed, and sleds have changed.  20 years ago you couldn't just jump off the trail and go, sleds wouldn't do it without lots of pushing and pulling.  Now, you don't need groomed trails, lots of people ride the lakes, rivers and concession roads around here.  I'm not surprised the Chapleau club closed, along with Foleyet ... there's no need for the trails for a guy to go ice fishing or recreational riding, not like they were before anyway.

The lifestyles and expectations of people are evolving in general. When my parents bought their first house it didn't have a garage, five appliances, landscaping, paved driveway and granite counter tops. Everyone on the street hung bed sheets in the windows when they first moved in and used a roto tiller and seed to get a lawn. Today if you don't have a 2 car garage, 2 bathrooms and all the other bells and whistles then they are not interested. When we were kids we came home from school and right back out with our friends until it was time for dinner. Now they come home and play video games.

The culture is changing and will continue to do so. The National Parks are seeing a significant decrease in the number of people visiting and those that do are getting older. The younger generation seem to be evolving to a much more urban lifestyle. People on my street tell me they have to push their kids to go camping, fishing or other similar things and they hear the complaint that they can't do their video games and keep in contact with their friends.

The younger generation seem to be evolving to a much more urban lifestyle. People on my street tell me they have to push their kids to go camping, fishing or other similar things and they hear the complaint that they can't do their video games and keep in contact with their friends.

There's the exact reason we see less sledders in my opinion, we're too connected with tech and games and such, to spend time outside in nature.  

The lifestyles and expectations of people are evolving in general. When my parents bought their first house it didn't have a garage, five appliances, landscaping, paved driveway and granite counter tops. Everyone on the street hung bed sheets in the windows when they first moved in and used a roto tiller and seed to get a lawn. Today if you don't have a 2 car garage, 2 bathrooms and all the other bells and whistles then they are not interested. When we were kids we came home from school and right back out with our friends until it was time for dinner. Now they come home and play video games.

The culture is changing and will continue to do so. The National Parks are seeing a significant decrease in the number of people visiting and those that do are getting older. The younger generation seem to be evolving to a much more urban lifestyle. People on my street tell me they have to push their kids to go camping, fishing or other similar things and they hear the complaint that they can't do their video games and keep in contact with their friends.

Now peep's dont take this the wrong way......sit back and look in the mirror....yes culture is part of it but we need to look at ourselves.....we are the main reason our kids our sitting on theres ass's turning into obese lazy kids/teenagers then adults.....anybody that has a kid/teenager that is going to grade school and that kid has a cell   all paided for by u know who that is just wrong period.....if mom and dad cannt lift there ass's of the couch to do something with there kids at lease 2-3 nights a week even a walk what ever thats where we need to start,u can say what ever about both parents need to work etc.... kids are people too,but most just buy them what they want and let them hide in there room's.....my warden has been in the medical field all her career dealing mainly with kids/teenager's u have no ideal what kids believe today and all of it coming from video games and home life......Its sad the way people have changed and all they care about is the show and tell they can build around them.....most newly weds ect today dont even have nor want kids to much like work so the op for a dog or what ever....selfish and me me me me is what soceity has turned into.....yes i got kids (twins) 12yrs not a chance will they have a cell phone in the near future...yes they have one video game Wii,yes they would like to have what some of there friends have but in my house it aint happening any time soon......I dont have any issues taking them camping,sledding,canoeing,boating,going for a walk around town etc and no arguments etc why????

KIDS are people too.....and its what WE as parents do for there well doing and up bringing that make's society/culture what it is today.

Should have to be 20 to use a cell phone

I heard a great quote from Dennis Miller regarding the next generation, technology and social media:

'Never have lives less-lived been more chronicled'. Upon hearing this my friend said "I agree, most kid's Facebook status should read 'Can't wait until my next status update' but nothing happens in between".

Only a couple more people stepped up to help and they were given untill July 9 to find a solution or close.

Only a couple more people stepped up to help and they were given untill July 9 to find a solution or close.

Thanks for the update Elliotgroomer, it sounds like a manpower thing, is that correct. It also appears that the district is the permit selling entity. Is it possible that the Chapleau club got upset with money distribution?

Strictly a manpower thing, too few people trying to fill all the positions and get the work done. Frustration with old equipment breaking down all the time. 

Now peep's dont take this the wrong way......sit back and look in the mirror....yes culture is part of it but we need to look at ourselves.....we are the main reason our kids our sitting on theres ass's turning into obese lazy kids/teenagers then adults.....anybody that has a kid/teenager that is going to grade school and that kid has a cell   all paided for by u know who that is just wrong period.....if mom and dad cannt lift there ass's of the couch to do something with there kids at lease 2-3 nights a week even a walk what ever thats where we need to start,u can say what ever about both parents need to work etc.... kids are people too,but most just buy them what they want and let them hide in there room's.....my warden has been in the medical field all her career dealing mainly with kids/teenager's u have no ideal what kids believe today and all of it coming from video games and home life......Its sad the way people have changed and all they care about is the show and tell they can build around them.....most newly weds ect today dont even have nor want kids to much like work so the op for a dog or what ever....selfish and me me me me is what soceity has turned into.....yes i got kids (twins) 12yrs not a chance will they have a cell phone in the near future...yes they have one video game Wii,yes they would like to have what some of there friends have but in my house it aint happening any time soon......I dont have any issues taking them camping,sledding,canoeing,boating,going for a walk around town etc and no arguments etc why????

KIDS are people too.....and its what WE as parents do for there well doing and up bringing that make's society/culture what it is today.

Very good post. I agree 100%

News from the Chapleau club. They had 20 people out to their Monday meeting and now have a new executive and board of directors and will be operating the coming season.  

Great news, Elliotgroomer. Thank you for keeping us up to date.

that is great news. thanks for taking the time to update us. Ski

Great news!  I wish them luck.

Archived