Hand signal for last sled

GrizzlyGriff

The use of hand signals can be discussed until the cows come home. Some people should (if they want to), while others shouldn't (keep your hands on the bars).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not using hand signals <moderated for inappropriate comments> in my books.

I use hand signals, generic ones, but the ofsc doesn't recognize them on the chart. I only use them if someone is using up my realestate. Use all the signals you want, I just watch where I am going and always expect aproching traffic. Don't take it personal, I just think they are a waste of time.

in principal maybe, in reality they are useless.    I've seen 1 sled with them in 30 years riding in Ontario and I'd bet most sledders have no idea what it means..

The only way they make sense is if they are mandated so everyone has them, and that is not something I'd ever subscribe too.      I dont care how many sleds are in your group, what lights are flashing or fingers you're holding up - stick to your side of the trail and have a great day!

I saw a guy with the flashing lights in KL about 3 years ago, I thought itwas a cop. BTW having a rd flashing light on your sled is illegal in Ontario.

I saw a guy with the flashing lights in KL about 3 years ago, I thought itwas a cop. BTW having a rd flashing light on your sled is illegal in Ontario.

The light system does not involve flashing lights.  There are two colours, amber, indicating that I have sleds behind me in my group, and green, indicating that I am the last rider in my group.

I do not signal for other riders not in my group as I am not keeping track of them and do not know whether they have stopped, turned off, or transported back to their mothership.

However, when my sled is turned off, I do have my tail light on and orange lights with white strobes on the front.  These are for visibility, particularly when I am stopped on the side of the trail at night.

• 4 years later...

Different between Ontario and international hand signals, I'm personally use my hand down to show I'm  last in line. 

hand_signals.gif

20110428064803240.jpg

image002.gif

On 1/26/2014 at 10:40 PM, revrnd said:

A couple of weeks ago I meet 2 sleds & the 2nd guy puts his hand up & he's showing 4 or 5 digits. I ride along careful because of the speed they were going & the trail is a bit twisty. We go for a couple of minutes & there's a guy doing a 3 point turn. I follow him for 2 or 3 more minutes when we come to 3 sledders looking @ a sled stuffed into the snow on a corner. No damage or injuries so we continued on.

I wonder how far the 1st 2 riders got before they realized the rest of the group wasn't following?

Met up with one oncoming a couple years ago heading from Smooth Rock to Cochrane, signaled one sled behind him, I rode for 20mins before I sort of met up with the other rider, burried  in waste deep snow on a hard right turn. we had him out in a few minutes, never did see his buddy come back.............

Last night was my first night ride of the year. So many people using various signals, very silly at night if you ask me.

Some hand signals we use are not so universal.

We use tap the top of your helmet in our group for "I need to stop for a pee." Faster tapping indicates the urgency of the matter.

Twirl left index finger in air over helmet is a more local signal here  for  cops/radar - ahead for our group, behind us for oncoming sleds. This will either click for non locals right away, or confuse the hell out of them right before they see the police.

Slash across the throat - usually means stop and shut em down, I just scared the crap out of myself and I need a smoke.  Or if the group leader in unfamiliar territory - it means stop, shut down, I am lost. Anyone bring a map?

Any others to add?

I Always ride like there is another snowmobile approaching hand signal or not.  Use hand signals whenever it's safe to do so...

56 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

Twirl left index finger in air over helmet is a more local signal here  for  cops/radar - ahead for our group, behind us for oncoming sleds. This will either click for non locals right away, or confuse the hell out of them right before they see the police.

I had read about that a couple of years ago. I think 1 of the sledders we met north of Timmins was doing that after they had been stopped @ a trailside check on TOP C.

If you're going to take the time to make a hand signal then get your hand out away from your body so it can be seen. If you're on the right side of the trail always, then you are not adjusting your position at the time of meeting oncoming traffic.  Then you only have to make a quick signal and carry on.  

I solo tour a lot and stick my fist out high, arm straighter than a held 90 for left turns. It's quick, I think safer and keeps the on comers heads up and not looking down.  I almost always find the traffic I meet adjusting over so they have difficulty getting control and trying to make a signal. I constantly shake my head wondering how they got a trail pass for the left side of the trail, I find so much unused right side trail area, it's amazing.  

The only time I use the middle of the trail is right before a sharp right corner, and then only for a couple of seconds at most, then exit tight right.

Hand signals in the open or straight sections are really a waste. I appreciate those that do signal in the tight and twisty's so I know how many will be moving over as I continue on my normal trajectory.

My bigger complaint is those that don't check their mirrors! But this is a whole other topic.

tapping the helmet top is a courtesy signal from streetbiking... that is the one that means police. been that way in the states, before i got my permit in 1982. Ski

7 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Image result for the fingerOnly signal I need.

Felt like giving that to a few inconsiderate sledders.

7 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

I Always ride like there is another snowmobile approaching hand signal or not.  Use hand signals whenever it's safe to do so...

I find myself signaling a lot less than I used too, if I can with minimal effort, I will.

2 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Image result for the fingerOnly signal I need.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Felt like giving that to a few inconsiderate sledders.

Only encountered one set of a-holes this past weekend that could have used that, which is not bad really.

Riding the D101B into Dorset, about 3 or 4 guys decided to pass myself as well a group of maybe 4 sleds in front of me that I ended up following for a bit, they chose to pass on hills and corners with zero regard for anyone.

I rode with my son today and everyone we encountered, who was the last sled, put left their left hand/arm out and down. I am not 100% sure but I believe this way was taught to my son when he took his sled license training 5 yrs ago. 

Like others have mentioned and what I have taught my son, only do so when it is safe and you feel you still have full control of your sled. 

I prefer the arm out and down signal as it is more obvious IMO.  The fist clenched against your chest seems silly.  Who can see black gloves against a black jacket????

3 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I prefer the arm out and down signal as it is more obvious IMO.  The fist clenched against your chest seems silly.  Who can see black gloves against a black jacket????

I agree! With one of the many sledders we encountered today, one rider had his hand directly in front of his helmet/suit/chest area with his index finger indicating one sledder was behind him. Problem was, I didn't notice it until I was right beside him and just happened to look at him as he rode by. 

Hand signals are stupid. it is never safe to remove a hand from the bars when passing other sleds head on. I have been riding along at a mild pace and hit hidden objects that caused the sled to react and without both hands and force, the sled would have been out of control. You never know what the trail has in store for you, even on a new ribbon. Telling me what I always assume anyway, that there are sleds following you, is useless.

I'm for hand signals in tight twisty trails with blind corners and hills.  The long flat area they are unnecessary as I can see past you last sled signalling he's last in line.  Most time s these guys signalling last in line are unaware of the group behind them making the signal redundant.  Why do people signal at night ?  I'd rather people keep their hands on the bars and move the F**k over instead of running up the middle or on my side.   Those guys reserve one signal for, the middle finger. 

like others, I always ride like there's oncoming traffic. For that matter some other potential obstacle or risk too.  I generally use just a couple hand signals and do it 95% of the time, even if it's obvious, but only when safe.  I use the arm out clenched fist for last sled (often it's just me) and sleds following (as per many I've seen in local areas, if I have mitts on it's the thumb motion, if gloves an # of fingers up for sleds behind.)  And of course also the courtesy wave/thumbs up check when I'm stopped or see other people stopped, to make sure they don't need assistance.

To me it's always been a bit more of the on trail acknowledgement factor, like the courtesy wave bikers do as they pass, and since they can't see my smile under my helmet (although you'll see it in my eyes) it's the 'hey we're sledding isn't this is awesome....' :)

hey SRX Chris, any chance you riding just West of Dunfords yesterday afternoon around 3 or so? My son and I met a SRX about 200 yards West of Highway 30.

Archived