Jump to content
1049

Halfway Haven closing

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

 

They mentioned on one of their posts the possibility of a grant. Not sure what's involved with that.

 

 

 

Halfway should be eligible for all cerb money our prime minister has been handing out. Most business were eligible for two rounds of funding if revenues are down or business is closed because of covid 19. 
first round was a 40,000 loan, If paid back in full by end of 2022 10,000 is forgiven. 
second round is a 60,000 loan which if paid back on time, 20,000 is forgiven (don’t know much about the second one, since my business only got affected by first round of covid 19) There is some substantial paper work to do to get money and need to provide all finances for last few years, to prove you have been affected. Halfway should qualify for both rounds of funding which totals 100 k loan if paid back on time 30,00 is forgiven and only 70,000 needs to be paid back. So even if money was just put in a bank account and 70,000 was set aside and given back on time, that is 30,000 of free revenue for business. 
So they should have gotten this help from our government. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

Forestel for sure next year Jeff!

Yes Sir. Looking forward to it 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ox said:

Squatters?

 

Like moose and bear?

 

Steve [and Billie] had an issue with one large bear that eventually squatted right through the kitchen wall.

He was hanging on the wall soon there after, and a large cross-cut saw was hung on the outside wall - upside down after that.

 

 

If I remember right, it was three seasons ago. Sean had left the place in the Fall until it re-opened for winter. When he came back the place was kind of trashed, looking like someone was living in there for a bit and took some stuff. Set them back for getting it opened for that season. He had some motion cameras but of course they took them. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange...

 

I wonder if they knew that he was gone via posts on F/B?

 

Still, IDK what value would be to be there, as opposed to down by Linus/Pee Wee - where we have camped sometimes.

 

 

 

 

Funny how 3 of us here are all in about a 50 mile circle from each other.

 

 

Edited by Ox
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ox said:

Strange...

 

I wonder if they knew that he was gone via posts on F/B?

I know of 1 seasonal business that started to lessen the Facebook activity so that their 'absence' wouldn't be noticed during the offseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

If I remember right, it was three seasons ago. Sean had left the place in the Fall until it re-opened for winter. When he came back the place was kind of trashed, looking like someone was living in there for a bit and took some stuff. Set them back for getting it opened for that season. He had some motion cameras but of course they took them. 

 

Sean thought it was a person who had come around periodically asking for things and favors.  He had left to spend some much needed time away with a women friend.  Before leaving he had wrapped the refrigerator to insulate and had taken all the precautions per usual to winterize since the generators would be off.  He usually ran only a small Honda generator when alone as the fuel costs were too much to keep water and all the other things going during the extended periods of the off season.    

 

When Sean returned to try and get things going, the place had been lived in and no housekeeping performed.  The generator had been turned on and full use of water and electric was taken and all the beer consumed.  It was trashed and when the fuel ran out, this person or persons had just walked out leaving it all to freeze up hard.  It was a mess and it seemed that no help was available to Sean other than local Ontario based friends of his...............sad situation.  Yes it was a delayed opening his final season there.

 

It is crazy that the owners of Halfway Haven are from my town and the towns next to us.  It is also funny that ox, myself, and Hoosier are all living close together in the Ohio, Michigan, Indiana Tri-State Area.  We all love what Canada has to offer. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I guess I should have included the owners of the subject as well. :headbang:

 

 

That would have been the year recently (not this last year) that had a really late start doo to cold I think?

Where he spent basically the whole month of Jan at The Bristol?

 

Edited by Ox
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ox said:

Yeah, I guess I should have included the owners of the subject as well. :headbang:

 

 

That would have been the year recently (not this last year) that had a really late start doo to cold I think?

Where he spent basically the whole month of Jan at The Bristol?

Yep, that was the year. Thanks AC + YA for the better explanation. Now I'm remembering the issue was that they caused all the issues with the water. We came through twice that season - the first was right after that in mid or late January when they weren't open to guests due to no water but had fuel, and then we came up again in late March.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 5:14 PM, AC+YA said:

Jean and Don sold and will be gone soon or maybe it was the beginning of this month.  She messaged me a couple months ago.  The new owners may get more traffic running to Elliot lake from the Soo if the Trailblazers get the D201F back going and it makes for a good loop to Elliot.  Enjoy that entire area!  Very remote yet not way way north.  This is where Dan does all the off trail lake jumping............

This is great news! Thanks for sharing it. I sure hope Jean and Don didn't have to give it away. Now, hopefully the Halfway situation can be resolved and the Manitouwadge loop can be completed, and it snows, and.... There is great potential for the northwest as the northeast gets too busy. I needed a pick-me-up today and the Black Creek/HH news hit the spot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tricky said:

This is great news! Thanks for sharing it. I sure hope Jean and Don didn't have to give it away. Now, hopefully the Halfway situation can be resolved and the Manitouwadge loop can be completed, and it snows, and.... There is great potential for the northwest as the northeast gets too busy. I needed a pick-me-up today and the Black Creek/HH news hit the spot.

DO you have inside info on the manitowadge loop re-opening?  Is it a tie to Hornepayne?  Or heading further north out of Manitowadge towards Greenstone?  Is this happening or just speculation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, signfan said:

DO you have inside info on the manitowadge loop re-opening?  Is it a tie to Hornepayne?  Or heading further north out of Manitowadge towards Greenstone?  Is this happening or just speculation?

I have no recent information and am not connected in any way with the region. I just recall information put forward on this forum in the off season last year that efforts were being made to connect Marathon to Manitouwadge, and then a link to Longlac. So mostly just wishful thinking on my part, fuelled by previous banter and my own desire to get back to that area. I recall riding in that area in 2004 or 2005, and it was breath taking.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tricky said:

I have no recent information and am not connected in any way with the region. I just recall information put forward on this forum in the off season last year that efforts were being made to connect Marathon to Manitouwadge, and then a link to Longlac. So mostly just wishful thinking on my part, fuelled by previous banter and my own desire to get back to that area. I recall riding in that area in 2004 or 2005, and it was breath taking.

I think a loop to north is a long term plan that might happen over time. Be nice if trail to white river would get it’s water issue’s fixed. 
Similar issue with d201f whatever they call it north of abbrey falls heading to half way. Sometimes it is possible to get around and other times during milder winter it is tough for touring sledders to roll dice and splash thru water and rocks. 
look at D coming from soo. It usually has huge wash outs and club puts in tree branches and whatever else they can find to cover it up and make it passable for season. Area defiantly needs a long term plan for trail infrastructure. Elliot lake has done a great job supporting sledders with multi use trails around town. One of more friendly sled towns I have been too, not perfect but they try and actually leave snow on side roads to use as trails for winter. Musoka could take some notes from them. Cheers 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tricky said:

I have no recent information and am not connected in any way with the region. I just recall information put forward on this forum in the off season last year that efforts were being made to connect Marathon to Manitouwadge, and then a link to Longlac. So mostly just wishful thinking on my part, fuelled by previous banter and my own desire to get back to that area. I recall riding in that area in 2004 or 2005, and it was breath taking.

Wait - that WAS done this year - wasn't it?

I'm sure I seen a post here, or maybe even a writ aboot that in a sledding mag maybe, or  ?????

 

I think that it is the link from Mani to Hornepayne that is still not opened yet?

The west end of that goes through some nice hilly terrain, and then dumps you out on (next to) Industrial (?) Road on the Hornepayne side, and then seems to flatten right out all of a sudden.

 

Not rode that section in decades. I don't like to ride the flats...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunate - more will follow as well.

This provincial shut down in an effort to reduce travel/spread is killing everything in it's path - you will see much more to follow:

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

I think a loop to north is a long term plan that might happen over time. Be nice if trail to white river would get it’s water issue’s fixed. 
Similar issue with d201f whatever they call it north of abbrey falls heading to half way. Sometimes it is possible to get around and other times during milder winter it is tough for touring sledders to roll dice and splash thru water and rocks. 
look at D coming from soo. It usually has huge wash outs and club puts in tree branches and whatever else they can find to cover it up and make it passable for season. Area defiantly needs a long term plan for trail infrastructure. Elliot lake has done a great job supporting sledders with multi use trails around town. One of more friendly sled towns I have been too, not perfect but they try and actually leave snow on side roads to use as trails for winter. Musoka could take some notes from them. Cheers 

White River doesnt even have a club at all. Craig Colbourne of the Marathon club, is the driving force in the area to get these trails back up, connected and running. the marathon club opened, groomed, maintained trail from marathon, to Dubreuilville's turn around with White River, with only help from Jeremy and Cynthia at the Fishing moose lodge on Hammer lake (the former H&C lodge on hwy 17). that has been in place for several years but, logging, time, manpower, funds, prevent it from opening up regularly.

 

this year, he and his group of volunteers in Manitouwadge opened the trail from Mani, to the hwy 17 corridor to connect back to  marathon. only to have the new Hydro corridor updates, stop the trail from really opening to white river. to get any of this opened further, you will need white river to get a solid group of people to commit time, and effort, and re-organize as a club. you will need hornepayne, and longlac/greenstone, to want to connect, and then lastly... they will need commitment of ofsc and districts, funding, and riders to utilize these links, loops, and patronize only businesses that support, fund, volunteer to keep and maintain these links.

 

the majority of the locals will never leave their town, beyond about 25-50km, and when they do, it is to access camps, and fishing, not to travel between towns, for recreation. they will utilize organized trails when they are opened but, could give 2 shits, if the trails are in or not.

 

the biggest hurdle is the distance between towns, and the limits on grooming equipment in the area. it would be nice to have a groomer at white river, at mani, at caramat etc... but, permits, money, and volunteers dont allow for this. with halfway closing, I would venture to guess, just like in the years before shawn arrived at halfway, that trail will close. no fuel to make it from wawa to chapleau, or searchmont to chapleau, let alone aubrey falls to chapleau. and I am just talking about sleds, not the groomers themselves. now you have no resting place, no fueling available, no easy place to swap out drivers.

 

just like pre-shawn, there will be lots of dead ends on the system, in this region. and for those of you that dont know, with the mining, and logging operations going on, and the fully opening of the road bridge over the big Kabi river between hornepayne and Dubreuilville, and the subsequent opening of a road system from Dub to Hearst, and Dub to White river, not to mention the 2-3 new gold mines on the south F, D trail between Dub, and Wawa, that has now reclaimed the road (road 48), as a second route to the mines, for emergency vehicles, and mine traffic, the Dub club are and will be in a bad position, with no dedicated trail, to avoid these roads like Hornepayne has had in place for decades. utilizing roads is easy but, comes at a price, and the next few years are going to really show this, in this region. 

 

In my honest and humble opinion, there needs to be a permanent trail to avoid these roads and keep these trails, links active. the manpower and funding required to build these new trails will be a huge investment in funding up front but, the system would have an undeniable permanent solution... as long as the clubs and chief groomers stay on the permanent trail, v.s wanting to go the easy route, and groom the road, that may or may not be plowed, to dirt, during the season. this has been the problem in Dubreuilville since the start of the ofsc system. 

 

Ski    

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

White River doesnt even have a club at all. Craig Colbourne of the Marathon club, is the driving force in the area to get these trails back up, connected and running. the marathon club opened, groomed, maintained trail from marathon, to Dubreuilville's turn around with White River, with only help from Jeremy and Cynthia at the Fishing moose lodge on Hammer lake (the former H&C lodge on hwy 17). that has been in place for several years but, logging, time, manpower, funds, prevent it from opening up regularly.

 

this year, he and his group of volunteers in Manitouwadge opened the trail from Mani, to the hwy 17 corridor to connect back to  marathon. only to have the new Hydro corridor updates, stop the trail from really opening to white river. to get any of this opened further, you will need white river to get a solid group of people to commit time, and effort, and re-organize as a club. you will need hornepayne, and longlac/greenstone, to want to connect, and then lastly... they will need commitment of ofsc and districts, funding, and riders to utilize these links, loops, and patronize only businesses that support, fund, volunteer to keep and maintain these links.

 

the majority of the locals will never leave their town, beyond about 25-50km, and when they do, it is to access camps, and fishing, not to travel between towns, for recreation. they will utilize organized trails when they are opened but, could give 2 shits, if the trails are in or not.

 

the biggest hurdle is the distance between towns, and the limits on grooming equipment in the area. it would be nice to have a groomer at white river, at mani, at caramat etc... but, permits, money, and volunteers dont allow for this. with halfway closing, I would venture to guess, just like in the years before shawn arrived at halfway, that trail will close. no fuel to make it from wawa to chapleau, or searchmont to chapleau, let alone aubrey falls to chapleau. and I am just talking about sleds, not the groomers themselves. now you have no resting place, no fueling available, no easy place to swap out drivers.

 

just like pre-shawn, there will be lots of dead ends on the system, in this region. and for those of you that dont know, with the mining, and logging operations going on, and the fully opening of the road bridge over the big Kabi river between hornepayne and Dubreuilville, and the subsequent opening of a road system from Dub to Hearst, and Dub to White river, not to mention the 2-3 new gold mines on the south F, D trail between Dub, and Wawa, that has now reclaimed the road (road 48), as a second route to the mines, for emergency vehicles, and mine traffic, the Dub club are and will be in a bad position, with no dedicated trail, to avoid these roads like Hornepayne has had in place for decades. utilizing roads is easy but, comes at a price, and the next few years are going to really show this, in this region. 

 

In my honest and humble opinion, there needs to be a permanent trail to avoid these roads and keep these trails, links active. the manpower and funding required to build these new trails will be a huge investment in funding up front but, the system would have an undeniable permanent solution... as long as the clubs and chief groomers stay on the permanent trail, v.s wanting to go the easy route, and groom the road, that may or may not be plowed, to dirt, during the season. this has been the problem in Dubreuilville since the start of the ofsc system. 

 

Ski    

The projects taking place always come first as does the economic engines of the areas.  They have left roads and bridges that were easily utilized by the trail system, but as ski points out are taken back as needed without debate.  Some modifications also seem to be removed or destroyed in the name of the ecosystem or to remove possible liabilities of use.

 

The wood rights went back to Hornepayne and there have been multiple road building projects to access the wood resources north of Dub.  The roads run from Dub and can connect logging to the mills in the west and all the way up to Hearst not just Hornepayne.  Someday these routes may be available, but if used will be taken back when needed by industry.

 

The gold mining around Dub has boomed and is also taking back the use of roads used for trails.  There was some re-routes worked on, but never needed or opened up.  There were new trail sections opened, but not really finished to the point that lower snowfall amounts could make them usable.  without the snow, the trails were bypassed back to roadside sections destroyed by plows well before the ice fishing season was finished.  Railroad crossing access is always maintained first.

 

It will be a trying season if the covid thing stops.  The weather and covid masked the problems with maintaining the D108A last season, but the interactions with logging are not fixed yet.  A dedicated trail is needed as the old 100 mile loop has been taken back and expanded on both sides by logging.  Short term there may be a sharing plan, but often loggers decide to wipe away and close trails at the worst times of the season.

 

Halfway closing is a huge hit to touring riders starting from SSM and will put more pressure on D trail and the old F trail connected areas.  This will just push the more dedicated to head to Quebec as opportunities for connected touring are lost.  As the drive/trailering I need to make is pushed from 6 hours to 12 hours, I can go east and make fewer but longer trips in Quebec.  The exception is when weather cooperates and the Soo to Sudbury has good conditions, but often this is not the case.

 

   

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Halfway closing is a huge hit to touring riders starting from SSM and will put more pressure on D trail and the old F trail connected areas.  This will just push the more dedicated to head to Quebec as opportunities for connected touring are lost.  As the drive/trailering I need to make is pushed from 6 hours to 12 hours, I can go east and make fewer but longer trips in Quebec.  The exception is when weather cooperates and the Soo to Sudbury has good conditions, but often this is not the case.

I am glad someone else said this.   All that was going through my mind when reading this thread, was that I will definitely be buying a Quebec permit this season if this loop is not open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I am glad someone else said this.   All that was going through my mind when reading this thread, was that I will definitely be buying a Quebec permit this season if this loop is not open.

Only Quebec? If that's the case - then it really sucks - lost revenue

If not - then it still sucks - just not quite as badly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Only Quebec? If that's the case - then it really sucks - lost revenue

If not - then it still sucks - just not quite as badly.

I will still buy an Ontario permit in hopes that we get some local snow but my trips will be in Quebec this winter.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quebec has similar issues, Logging north of Verandrye closed that connection for this past season, 386 north to Valdor i think

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...