Drive in/out trailer

Puggz

Looking at a drive in/out trailer. Those who have one please let me know what to look for.  I'm thinking 22' before the v-nose to ensure I can get 4 normal sleds in it. I would think drive in the front out the back would be the way but I've also see the opposite.

Looking at a NEO, don't think I can find a Triton in inventory.

My bad for lack of planning.  :-(

Thoughts??

P.

4 sleds, 22' for sure,  or even '24.  Many good makes out there. Lots of price range. You get what you pay for. Try and find a dealer your comfortable with, I.E. for repairs, warranty etc. Autotrader, kijiji,  etc. Good luck. Also budget plays a roll also..

Miska, Neo, lightning etc. Im a Triton PR guy though. 

Edited by Turbo Doo

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

Looking at a drive in/out trailer. Those who have one please let me know what to look for.  I'm thinking 22' before the v-nose to ensure I can get 4 normal sleds in it. I would think drive in the front out the back would be the way but I've also see the opposite.

Looking at a NEO, don't think I can find a Triton in inventory.

My bad for lack of planning.  :-(

Thoughts??

P.

From a weight distribution standpoint , in order to get enough weight on the tongue, I would think you would want to drive in the back. JMHO

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

From a weight distribution standpoint , in order to get enough weight on the tongue, I would think you would want to drive in the back. JMHO

Most manufacturers say the exact opposite.  Drive in the front, out the back.

You definately don't want to end up with no tongue weight (that's an accident waiting to occur), but with a tandem axle trailer you have two axels there for a reason.  They're supposed to carry the brunt of the weight.

• Like 1

I have a 27' Legend V nose and I can get 4 sleds in if I put the tracks up on a 12" block so I can get the ski in under the running board. I think you would be hard pressed to get 4 sleds in a 23 or 24 foot.

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at these... good bang for the buck, with the market soo strong serious thoughts of selling my hybrid for one. Only concern is how the black would hold up against stone chips

https://actiontrailers.ca/shop/build-a-trailer/snowmobile-motorcycle/drive-in-out/impacts-subzero-all-aluminum-7-wide-drive-in-drive-out-ultimate-sport-trailers/

h

Had 4 place trailer since 2006, usually hauling four sleds. 

2006 trailer was 7.5 wide, 19 +5 v nose.

Last year bought a new 7 wide 20+ 5  v-nose.

Over the years it's very seldom ever use the front door. When hauling 4 sleds we stagger, load from back, drive first machine in, back in next and repeat for last two.

Can load quicker and easier from wide back door. Coming in or out front door usually have to hop off machine and pull front of machine over once part way out door. Especially with longer track machines.

lf l was having a brand new trailer build l don't think l would put a front door in it. Front door creates more structural weakness and another security entry risk.

l have never tried loading all machines from front facing the rear. Like PLC stated it may be difficult to get enough tongue weight on trailer.

lf you are backing machines up back ramp and it's your trailer it's best to do it yourself. Some guys can't figure out to use momentum to get up onto trailer. Your buddies will get half way up the ramp then use there machine as a wood chipper tearing up your ramp and floor.IMG_1736.JPG.bcbab85b8891a905a8c70e05be143490.JPGIMG_1737.thumb.JPG.e66dfbea8710cf9090e15b217e49efb0.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, signfan said:

Most manufacturers say the exact opposite.  Drive in the front, out the back.

You definately don't want to end up with no tongue weight (that's an accident waiting to occur), but with a tandem axle trailer you have two axels there for a reason.  They're supposed to carry the brunt of the weight.

We use a 30'x7' Legend for 2  137", 1 129" and 1 141" sled. We drive the first three in from the back and back the 129" in. The front sled is up just into the V and the others are packed as far forward as possible. We find that we have to put some luggage in the V with the spare tire, jack and some other stuff in order to minimize the trailer sway. We always load and unload from the back using the ski wheelz.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

V Nose drive in/drive out, are supposed to be loaded from front,  and unloaded out the back. Although we regularly load from the back. My 2020 Triton PR 147, can be loaded unhooked without any issues. The double axle trailers, as mentioned are designed to distribute the weight over the axles. Our PR147 actually tows, and has better weight distribution then our older TC167. Our 2017 Triton XT 147, i have had a 2019 MXZ X 850, a 2018 MXZ Blizzard 850, and a 2018 MXZ blizzard 900 ace inside the trailer.  2 sleds with tracks on ramps, and 1 sled sitting entirely on trailer floor. 

Beck's trailer is THE sales portal for Legend trailers, around here. (less than 20 miles from me). the family happens to own legend trailer mfg too. ;) there are retailers obviously, around north america too.

i have had a Legend since 2008 (same one). have had a few problems over the years but, being local, and loyal, they have taken care of us, and the trailer VERY WELL! Their motto is "Buy it for looks, keep it for life" and as long as you keep up on the maintenance, it is the truth. Ski 

10 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Had 4 place trailer since 2006, usually hauling four sleds. 

2006 trailer was 7.5 wide, 19 +5 v nose.

Last year bought a new 7 wide 20+ 5  v-nose.

Over the years it's very seldom ever use the front door. When hauling 4 sleds we stagger, load from back, drive first machine in, back in next and repeat for last two.

Can load quicker and easier from wide back door. Coming in or out front door usually have to hop off machine and pull front of machine over once part way out door. Especially with longer track machines.

lf l was having a brand new trailer build l don't think l would put a front door in it. Front door creates more structural weakness and another security entry risk.

l have never tried loading all machines from front facing the rear. Like PLC stated it may be difficult to get enough tongue weight on trailer.

lf you are backing machines up back ramp and it's your trailer it's best to do it yourself. Some guys can't figure out to use momentum to get up onto trailer. Your buddies will get half way up the ramp then use there machine as a wood chipper tearing up your ramp and floor.IMG_1736.JPG.bcbab85b8891a905a8c70e05be143490.JPGIMG_1737.thumb.JPG.e66dfbea8710cf9090e15b217e49efb0.JPG

Thanks good information. I won't be backing anything up the ramp, I do that now with my 7x16 and its too stressful after a long day of riding. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

4 sleds, 22' for sure,  or even '24.  Many good makes out there. Lots of price range. You get what you pay for. Try and find a dealer your comfortable with, I.E. for repairs, warranty etc. Autotrader, kijiji,  etc. Good luck. Also budget plays a roll also..

Miska, Neo, lightning etc. Im a Triton PR guy though. 

Triton isn't shipping trailers touting a shortage from their aluminum supplier and covid just closed down the axle factory.   The Neo models i've seen in circulation look pretty close, maybe even better with the marine grade floor, etc..

13 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Triton isn't shipping trailers touting a shortage from their aluminum supplier and covid just closed down the axle factory.   The Neo models i've seen in circulation look pretty close, maybe even better with the marine grade floor, etc..

Some new '21 Tritons did make it to Canada. My PR 147 is marine grade plywood.  When i ordered the trailer, i upgraded to the coated flooring.  The floor in my trailer is coated inside and out, essentially the plywood is coated before going into the trailer.  So there is no exposed wood whatsoever, and its pretty stud and carbide resistant.  

16 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Some new '21 Tritons did make it to Canada. My PR 147 is marine grade plywood.  When i ordered the trailer, i upgraded to the coated flooring.  The floor in my trailer is coated inside and out, essentially the plywood is coated before going into the trailer.  So there is no exposed wood whatsoever, and its pretty stud and carbide resistant.  

So you have no mats or guides, just this coating?

Curious what is the coating that is offered?

I thought you were also one of the folks that had the lattice on the floor/ramp......

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

I am not surprised to hear this.  My TC167 just showed up at the dealer last week.    It was supposed to be here in October.     

2 hours ago, stoney said:

So you have no mats or guides, just this coating?

Curious what is the coating that is offered?

I thought you were also one of the folks that had the lattice on the floor/ramp......

I have guides also. No lattice here.  I upgraded to the coating offered from Triton,  because it looks damn good, and also now the wood is sealed.  And it protects the wood from most of the carbide and stud rash. Also, it makes cleaning the trailer out a breeze. Vacuum,  broom, even rinsing out with hose in the summer. If your OCD like me, its a plus. If i can, tomorrow i will take some pictures..

Edited by Turbo Doo

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

I am not surprised to hear this.  My TC167 just showed up at the dealer last week.    It was supposed to be here in October.     

Scott Reinhart trailer sales in Shelburne told me Triton was a month or so behind. Like so many others of course due to the covid equation..

I have a new Pace trailer coming.  The dealer cannot get enough trailers this year. He had 7 come in 2weeks ago and all were gone in a week.   New orders are 5 months out.

41 minutes ago, Sksman said:

I have a new Pace trailer coming.  The dealer cannot get enough trailers this year. He had 7 come in 2weeks ago and all were gone in a week.   New orders are 5 months out.

I guarantee there will be some deals on lightly used ones in a year.  

20 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Lol, obviously wish that wasn’t going to be the case, but going to be trailers and sleds on the block next year. 

23 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Just now, stoney said:

Lol, obviously wish that wasn’t going to be the case, but going to be trailers and sleds on the block next year. 

How come you guys say this?. 

16 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

How come you guys say this?. 

Seems like lots a people are on the sledding band wagon in lieu of their normal winter interests in light of C19, so when this lovely phase of the nightmare we’re livin ends, I can see some or most of the new audience leaving and selling their toys.....plus as you have stated, should this season be adversely affected by C19, your interest may waiver as well. 

I hope the new interests stick with the sport and gives it a new lifeline, but time will tell. 

11 minutes ago, stoney said:

Seems like lots a people are on the sledding band wagon in lieu of their normal winter interests in light of C19, so when this lovely phase of the nightmare we’re livin ends, I can see some or most of the new audience leaving and selling their toys.....plus as you have stated, should this season be adversely affected by C19, your interest may waiver as well. 

I hope the new interests stick with the sport and gives it a new lifeline, but time will tell. 

I agree. Lots of 'new' people into the sport this season.  And yes, my interest will waiver depending how the season unfolds.  

10 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I agree. Lots of 'new' people into the sport this season.  And yes, my interest will waiver depending how the season unfolds.  

I know people say this and emotional that’s how they feel now or during the season, but after the summer break from the sport, there interests are recharged and last year is a distant memory, or at least the negatives ones are!

And I’m starting to feel the need for a new ride, so next year that just might happen :right_on: