Jump to content
Blake G

Sprucedale Hotel is for sale

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

I actually liked the new owner. he was a nice and genuine guy but you could see he had managerial issues. Food was ok .

 

Only thing that ticked me off is in between service on a busy day some locals and the owners were out  "smoking" in the parking lot. Never a good sign.

 

2 hours ago, reevester said:

Parking lot? We were on the back deck. 

Always the case with government slackers.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

 

Always the case with government slackers.:D

You know it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

this time it as right outside the door close to the cars. 

Nothing compared to what the previous owner would get into lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep thinking that as our 'range' extends, we bypass places. 

 

Sprucedale was a natural stop (tm-STG) from Parry Sound. Now I'm there in a flash (ahem) and Kearney feels like a natural destination.

 

Same thing heading north from our cottage on Six Mile Lake. Gravenhurst was a haul...trails got way better and we now by-pass Gravenhurst and stop in Bracebridge or Huntsville.

 

Add the range of some sleds and you're flying by places you once stopped at.

 

Just IMO, and realize that if I bypass Gravenhurst riding north, someone heading from the north will bypass their town and land in Gravenhurst. All good in the end. But our destinations have certainly changed. Heck, Bonfield>Mattawa (lunch) > Bonfield would've been at the edge of comfort for wifey and I years ago. Now it seems easy. Actually go for a toot further south after completing that loop in a day. Sleds are better, suspension more forgiving, trails are wider, better signed and just easier to ride. 

 

It's almost like the highway freeway model has come to Ontario sledding. And I sense more changes to dining & gas will follow. It wasn't just the Sprucedale hotel's 'issues' - there are other choices, not too far away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Canuck said:

I keep thinking that as our 'range' extends, we bypass places. 

 

Sprucedale was a natural stop (tm-STG) from Parry Sound. Now I'm there in a flash (ahem) and Kearney feels like a natural destination.

 

Same thing heading north from our cottage on Six Mile Lake. Gravenhurst was a haul...trails got way better and we now by-pass Gravenhurst and stop in Bracebridge or Huntsville.

 

Add the range of some sleds and you're flying by places you once stopped at.

 

Just IMO, and realize that if I bypass Gravenhurst riding north, someone heading from the north will bypass their town and land in Gravenhurst. All good in the end. But our destinations have certainly changed. Heck, Bonfield>Mattawa (lunch) > Bonfield would've been at the edge of comfort for wifey and I years ago. Now it seems easy. Actually go for a toot further south after completing that loop in a day. Sleds are better, suspension more forgiving, trails are wider, better signed and just easier to ride. 

 

It's almost like the highway freeway model has come to Ontario sledding. And I sense more changes to dining & gas will follow. It wasn't just the Sprucedale hotel's 'issues' - there are other choices, not too far away.

Maybe but now people come from farther away to make Sprucedale a destination . It was always busy even when it was a hell hole 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see you as a sponsor at Slederama, Wildbill /Rosseau Road Powersports. 

 

I had my boat in Peterborough a few nights this summer - folks seem to have an active, outdoor lifestyle down that way. 

 

And .. totally understand Sprucedale "Hotel" as a magnet/destination for riders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 It's too bad we are losing so many good historic stops. Ox narrows  Ahmic tavern.

Barr Head. Now the infamous Sprucedale. 

Where a fellow to go now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motorhead said:

 It's too bad we are losing so many good historic stops. Ox narrows  Ahmic tavern.

Barr Head. Now the infamous Sprucedale. 

Where a fellow to go now.

don't give up on Sprucedale yet... new owner may see it operating properly and profitably

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Motorhead said:

 It's too bad we are losing so many good historic stops. Ox narrows  Ahmic tavern.

Barr Head. Now the infamous Sprucedale. 

Where a fellow to go now.

 

The Maytag in Timmins...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Commodore in Sudbury !

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real story is that the new owner is ex (?) Hells Angels with a first degree murder conviction under his belt. He thought he could register the liquor licence under the name of the bar manager since he could not get one with the conviction. Not sure what happened but the AGCO found out and pulled the licence. There was some bs on Facebook about renovations etc but that is the real story. It’s up for sale now and the heat has been turned off so there is frost visible in the windows. I heard it was in foreclosure now which would not surprise me. I hope someone steals it and puts a bit of money into it. Every community, even the tiny ones need a place to gather. Shame. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BuckLakeBeauty said:

The real story is that the new owner is ex (?) Hells Angels with a first degree murder conviction under his belt. He thought he could register the liquor licence under the name of the bar manager since he could not get one with the conviction. Not sure what happened but the AGCO found out and pulled the licence. There was some bs on Facebook about renovations etc but that is the real story. It’s up for sale now and the heat has been turned off so there is frost visible in the windows. I heard it was in foreclosure now which would not surprise me. I hope someone steals it and puts a bit of money into it. Every community, even the tiny ones need a place to gather. Shame. 

The heat being off will be the end of it 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel bad for the guy if he was actually trying to turn things around. He seemed to be pretty genuine when we were there last winter 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow convicted never would have guessed everyone has a history . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the hotel is still for sale.

 

Asking price was reduced a few months ago, and now reduced to 285,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only issue is some said heat was turned off last winter. Doubt it if it looks anything like pictures at moment. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be a cool retirement gig. Lease out the restaurant, offer food/accommodation packages for sledders and atv's and live on the third floor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Poo Man said:

I think it would be a cool retirement gig. Lease out the restaurant, offer food/accommodation packages for sledders and atv's and live on the third floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 6:14 PM, Poo Man said:

I think it would be a cool retirement gig. Lease out the restaurant, offer food/accommodation packages for sledders and atv's and live on the third floor.

I would never spend a night in that firetrap

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wildbill said:

I would never spend a night in that firetrap

I did about 25-30 yrs ago. Quite the experience I tell you

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 6:14 PM, Poo Man said:

I think it would be a cool retirement gig. Lease out the restaurant, offer food/accommodation packages for sledders and atv's and live on the third floor.

Likely one of the riskiest investments one could do with say 4 to 5 hundred k for what little return?

Need to clear 40 to 50k for that to be worth it on what sales?

Your money will do better elsewhere before you ever get up off the chair your ass has been shinning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Likely one of the riskiest investments one could do with say 4 to 5 hundred k for what little return?

Need to clear 40 to 50k for that to be worth it on what sales?

Your money will do better elsewhere before you ever get up off the chair your ass has been shinning.

Location is good but building is dated and has limited potential no doubt. Might even be declared a heritage site, which is another  burden on modernization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Location is good but building is dated and has limited potential no doubt. Might even be declared a heritage site, which is another  burden on modernization. 

Needs a solid well thought out business plan that does not resemble the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×