POLICE OUT TO MUFFLE MODIFIED SNOWMOBILE EXHAUST SYSTEMS

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

4 hours ago, zoso said:

78 db at WOT from fifty feet is the law, +or-2 db due to variances in conditions. Simple eh? And nobody thought we had a db restriction, turns out we do. 

We have had decibel restrictions since model year 1973 but it was levelled at the manufacturers.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

We have had decibel restrictions since model year 1973 but it was levelled at the manufacturers.

Didnt new sleds back then come with a tag stating they complied w/ sound ratings?

3 hours ago, zoso said:

the comments on that video show the ignorance of today's youth. Self centered entitled little bitches.

Pretty much the same on 705...

10 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Pretty much the same on 705...

I think we need to have discussions on how we can reach these young people and get them on board. Afterall, in a few short years the trails will not be ours, but theirs. Remember the guy that you were all voting for as snowmobiler of the year, he used cans on his sleds and would defend them. when you have even active volunteers with this attitude we have a serious disconnect to the realities we face in regards to trail closures. 

10 hours ago, zoso said:

I commented

14 hours ago, zoso said:

the comments on that video show the ignorance of today's youth. Self centered entitled little bitches.

4 hours ago, soupkids said:

I commented

I was going to but since a bunch of the dickwads commenting are locals here I decided to refrain.  As much as I hate the f'n things, and as badly as I want them removed from existence, If I post what I think they'll be doing donuts around my house just to pi$$ me off.  I hear enough of them.

4 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I was going to but since a bunch of the dickwads commenting are locals here I decided to refrain.  As much as I hate the f'n things, and as badly as I want them removed from existence, If I post what I think they'll be doing donuts around my house just to pi$$ me off.  I hear enough of them.

Denis just reading that page on any issue increases the chance of losing IQ points. I cant see how anyone over a certain age would bother with 705. No different than the nonsense thst was posted on it after a Huronia trail was closed by a landowner revoking permission. They had been harrassed by the knuckledraggers & had enough of it. 

To these morons, the landowner was being a dick...

What  bothers me most is how we expect strong young rebels to behave differently than us without even giving them a chance to learn. Pushback only happens after being pushed in the first place.

Tolerance and less judgement, its what this situation requires, and what the whole world needs to learn. Powering up forcing others to their knees at one group or anothers will, makes for a very bad future for all of us.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:51 PM, Denis007 said:

Every aftermarket company that had tried to make a power increasing exhaust has seen the dyno sheets. Not one single can available increases HP. In fact, every one of them reduces power by 5 to 10 hp.

True statement for 2 strokes. Huge gains on a turbo 4 stroker.

1 hour ago, crispy said:

What  bothers me most is how we expect strong young rebels to behave differently than us without even giving them a chance to learn. Pushback only happens after being pushed in the first place.

They have a chance to learn when they get pulled over with their f'n cans.  They pay the ticket, take the can off.  That's learning.

Anything other than that is not tolerable.  Laws exist for a reason.  Obey them.  Period.

Now.. if you can come up with a reasonable alternative that does NOT increase noise levels, then that's fine with me, as in Ski's example (I want a link to the company that makes the aftermarket exhaust that Skidooboy mentioned earlier please).  Other than that, it's off the books.

10 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

They have a chance to learn when they get pulled over with their f'n cans.  They pay the ticket, take the can off.  That's learning.

Anything other than that is not tolerable.  Laws exist for a reason.  Obey them.  Period.

Now.. if you can come up with a reasonable alternative that does NOT increase noise levels, then that's fine with me, as in Ski's example (I want a link to the company that makes the aftermarket exhaust that Skidooboy mentioned earlier please).  Other than that, it's off the books.

I would prefer a less gov't regulated approach is all. I dont think pushing for policing a relatively minor nuisance is worth the cost of policing or the result. In fact I think its quite the opposite effect, we create outlaw badasses who thrive in throwing caution to the wind and disrespecting authority. If getting some overly amped up youths worked into the legal system is your way of educating them we differ.

I prefer methods that work, and have better long term gains.

To any of you youngins who might be lurking out there as an old street racer I can tell you the number one trick to SPEED? IS not getting caught so adding loud makers onto your speed machines only makes you an easier target, plus there is no power gains to be had so adding a can, is dumb on two fronts which is how you look to those of us who know better; dumb.

Be Smart. Quiet is faster and more fun for everyone.

6 minutes ago, crispy said:

I would prefer a less gov't regulated approach is all. I dont think pushing for policing a relatively minor nuisance is worth the cost of policing or the result. In fact I think its quite the opposite effect, we create outlaw badasses who thrive in throwing caution to the wind and disrespecting authority. If getting some overly amped up youths worked into the legal system is your way of educating them we differ.

I prefer methods that work, and have better long term gains.

To any of you youngins who might be lurking out there as an old street racer I can tell you the number one trick to SPEED? IS not getting caught so adding loud makers onto your speed machines only makes you an easier target, plus there is no power gains to be had so adding a can, is dumb on two fronts which is how you look to those of us who know better; dumb.

Be Smart. Quiet is faster and more fun for everyone.

As great as that sounds, it sadly does not work for all situations...this is a case where paying out of your pocket will speed up that learning curve, and it needs a big boost in speed!

I will admit that I ran an aftermarket exhaust many years ago for a season or two, not excessively loud but not stock sounding either.....I now think about it and shake my head as to what I was thinking, paying a ticket would have likely convinced me sooner to take it off:headbang:

Those loud cans are a symptom of a much larger problem. They just make that problem easier to identify.

There's a kid living down the street from me with what he proudly referred to as a Jaws race can , shows up in my driveway, wondering when we're going to hit the trails!

This was more than a month ago. 

I felt a bit awkward letting him know I had no intention of riding closed trails, and that I would be afraid to ride anywhere near him, for fear of being shot at. 

He really didn't think making that kind of noise was any kind of problem. 

Maybe we should just run twin pipes w/ stingers:

That's what I had In my TX-L .... with a built up engine and 108 EXP clutch.  43" ski stance.

But the sound.... not quite as pretty as a triple, but close. 

I wouldn't ride it nowadays. 

2 hours ago, Denis007 said:

That's what I had In my TX-L .... with a built up engine and 108 EXP clutch.  43" ski stance.

But the sound.... not quite as pretty as a triple, but close. 

I wouldn't ride it nowadays. 

Twin tracker mod 340 with race pipes, The neighbor was worried about ice fishermen with Elans making noise and had a rail trail shut down. The rail trail that divides her property which has active rail service till about 95.

I would not do this today or again but it was fun to see all her lights pop on at midnight.We were on the bay not on her property.

3 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Twin tracker mod 340 with race pipes, The neighbor was worried about ice fishermen with Elans making noise and had a rail trail shut down. The rail trail that divides her property which has active rail service till about 95.

I would not do this today or again but it was fun to see all her lights pop on at midnight.We were on the bay not on her property.

Reminds me as kids when we'd play road hockey in the LCBO lot on Sun' afternoons. Old lady that lived next to the lot hated us. Half an hour or so after we started, the manager would show up to scare us off. You could tell he didn't want to give us crap but I imagine the woman was watching out thru the curtains. He'd probably hear about it if he didn't do anything.

That thundercat does sound good. 

About the video from Timmins, it is a real problem up there.  You can hear sleds brapping around the local trails pretty much all night and every night despite the heightened enforcement the past couple of years.  I anticipate a curfew is coming around town because it isn't getting any better.

7 hours ago, DOOBEE said:

About the video from Timmins, it is a real problem up there.  You can hear sleds brapping around the local trails pretty much all night and every night despite the heightened enforcement the past couple of years.  I anticipate a curfew is coming around town because it isn't getting any better.

Sudbury has a curfew.

7 hours ago, DOOBEE said:

The trail running from the waterfront through Midland has a curfew.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:50 PM, Denis007 said:

here you are Denis: https://diamond-smfg.com/product/pro-climb-xf-600-800-stainless-steel-quiet/

Description

Diamond S Stainless Steel Quiet Silencer (SSQ) features the same proven design as our titanium model at a more affordable cost without sacrificing quality. Fabricated using 304 stainless steel. The SSQ weighs a mere 6.2 pounds while still providing a 3.5 horsepower increase. It has our fully baffled design which eliminates the need for packing making it the quietest aftermarket silencer on the market. Our stainless steel silencer will pass the SAE J-2567 stationary sound test (stationary snowmobile noise emission may not exceed 88 decibels). Unlike mild steels the stainless steel silencer is highly resistant to rust and corrosion providing a long product life.

it appears the db test above (read: new modern testing procedure, limits), is different than the db test that is currently on the books quoted for this forum thread. Ski

Thanks Ski.

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

here you are Denis: https://diamond-smfg.com/product/pro-climb-xf-600-800-stainless-steel-quiet/

Description

Diamond S Stainless Steel Quiet Silencer (SSQ) features the same proven design as our titanium model at a more affordable cost without sacrificing quality. Fabricated using 304 stainless steel. The SSQ weighs a mere 6.2 pounds while still providing a 3.5 horsepower increase. It has our fully baffled design which eliminates the need for packing making it the quietest aftermarket silencer on the market. Our stainless steel silencer will pass the SAE J-2567 stationary sound test (stationary snowmobile noise emission may not exceed 88 decibels). Unlike mild steels the stainless steel silencer is highly resistant to rust and corrosion providing a long product life.

it appears the db test above (read: new modern testing procedure, limits), is different than the db test that is currently on the books quoted for this forum thread. Ski

Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be sensed as a level difference of +10 dB− acousticians say. Doubling of sound intensity (acoustic energy) belongs to a calculated level change of +3 dB. +10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (loudness) in psychoacoustics − mostly sensed.

Archived