POLICE OUT TO MUFFLE MODIFIED SNOWMOBILE EXHAUST SYSTEMS

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

5 minutes ago, zoso said:

Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be sensed as a level difference of +10 dB− acousticians say. Doubling of sound intensity (acoustic energy) belongs to a calculated level change of +3 dB. +10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (loudness) in psychoacoustics − mostly sensed.

It did sound about twice as loud in the video clip than a stock exhaust does. Mine WOT you can't hear the exhaust over the engine noise. Stock muffler.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

understand db acoustics... what I will point out is, unless you know how the 73db test (from the 70's, and listed as the Ontario "limit") was/is performed, AND it is the same test as the 88 db listed above (with new modern db sound limit testing), the new db limit test available and the subsequent db ratings of factory and aftermarket exhaust mufflers, may be the same, louder, or possibly quieter than the previous (outdated) testing. ideally, there should be a new updated test, and limits, with modern equipment and limits placed and enforced with these newly available technologies.

for instance.... IF the factory oem exhaust for a 1997 zrt 600 triple passed the Ontario 73 db to get its approval for sale, use in Ontario... I know for sure, my current 2018 arctic cat ctec2 800 twin with the dimondS can is quieter. so, do you fine the sled that is quieter for having an aftermarket exhaust, in a case like that? food for thought. 

understand... I am not for loud cans AT ALL. most of the reason I installed mine was for weight savings on the sled (my stock can was over 20lbs, the titanium version I purchased weights 2.8 lbs), and this new motor has a backfire, flaming exhaust on shut down that is contributed to the factory exhaust but, there is no "cure" for the situation at this time. and some people adding aftermarket cans to these "flame throwers" is helping the issue. cat does not have a fix, and the sleds are actually melting the lower belly pan plastics, from this condition. and in this companies case, an independent dyno testing facility test their cans to actually make horsepower, not that this sled needs any more. :D Ski

I love the sound of my Apex. I can't imagine it sounding any better at a louder level.

The Nytro pales in comparison, but I think it's no accident that Yamaha also makes musical instruments.

michigans current law... 88 Db at 4000 rpm, They will issue ticket if you're over. There are many mfgs of cans that will be under the 88 DB limit. You need to check with the mfg of the can, to see if they test their product for sound levels. several states have adapted this test. from what I gather, it is a stationary test performed at 4000 rpms, at so many feet from the db sensor. Ski

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

michigans current law... 88 Db at 4000 rpm, They will issue ticket if you're over. There are many mfgs of cans that will be under the 88 DB limit. You need to check with the mfg of the can, to see if they test their product for sound levels. several states have adapted this test. from what I gather, it is a stationary test performed at 4000 rpms, at so many feet from the db sensor. Ski

SAE J192 is the test procedure, it is from 2013, not back in the 70s

is this the test Ontario currently utilizes? and has equipment to test for, or is it the 1161? what is the procedure? I don't know. and sorry for the misunderstanding, I took the post from revrnd talking about the 70's stamp on the oem exhausts, and "thought" (assumed) Ontario had not updated their db and testing procedures, limits to meet current, modern testing. 73 db's is really low, I don't think any stocker, even a 4 stroke could pass 73dbs. Ski

8 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

is this the test Ontario currently utilizes? and has equipment to test for, or is it the 1161? what is the procedure? I don't know. and sorry for the misunderstanding, I took the post from revrnd talking about the 70's stamp on the oem exhausts, and "thought" (assumed) Ontario had not updated their db and testing procedures, limits to meet current, modern testing. 73 db's is really low, I don't think any stocker, even a 4 stroke could pass 73dbs. Ski

Ski' what I was referring to in my earlier post was a tag that was tied to the handlebars on new sleds. You would see on the sleds @ the dealer.

It wasnt a permanent tag. Mind you I think there were decals on the air intake warning against removal because of the increased sound levels.

right, I understand that portion...  I just assumed after seeing the 73db limit in the previous posts with the Ontario law that, it was from the 70's and out dated too. I would really like to see how they test for 73db's. it has to be from a greater distance, or lower rpms. Ski

22 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

the test is factory to conform, nd it is 78db with an error up to plus 2db. Cops here do not teat. if it does not have an SAE stamp on it, it is illegal.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Ski' what I was referring to in my earlier post was a tag that was tied to the handlebars on new sleds. You would see on the sleds @ the dealer.

It wasnt a permanent tag. Mind you I think there were decals on the air intake warning against removal because of the increased sound levels.

Some manufacturers had a sticker on the chassis. I could be wrong but I think the 78 decibel rule was at idle at 50 feet.

47 minutes ago, crispy said:

What a shock. These idiots will peddle anything they get paid to. Telling people MBRP makes a legal trail exhaust is a lie. Now, I cannot say how loud this "trail" exhaust is, but telling people something is legal on the trails when it is not is immoral. Drop 400 bucks on one of their overpriced exhausts, thinking you are legal and then getting fined for it would not make me too happy.

Certainly is an interesting pitch considering ticket fever is on full tilt in some parts for noise. I especially like the part about increased HP. Leaning it out a teeny bit in an ultra controlled environment AFTER swapping in said can surely has nothing to do with the HP gains.... naw its bolt on brah. Bolt it on and go fast man I seen in on youtube dude! Plus it sounds badass and we all know the chicks dig it so Im not taking my can off brah, no way!

Proof of concept is fart cans on 100hp imports. Yep, furious people everywhere, fast and furious people

So, are we all driving MSVs now, or is that just the cool kids?

I do hope when they apprehend this idiot, they politely insist he remove his helmet before they administer the "wooden shampoo".

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, zoso said:

WOT at 50 feet.

The big variable is the environment under which the test is conducted.

Wide open throttle at 50 feet...……of an accelerating from start or running at high speed?

WOT measured.....

Back into snow covered pines?

Away on a hard packed frozen lake?

Away on a frozen lake with 2 feet of fresh powder?

The test is more likely performed to measure the exhaust noise only and not done to measure track noise which is the biggest component of a sled on hard pack at top speeds. 

4 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

The big variable is the environment under which the test is conducted.

Wide open throttle at 50 feet...……of an accelerating from start or running at high speed?

WOT measured.....

Back into snow covered pines?

Away on a hard packed frozen lake?

Away on a frozen lake with 2 feet of fresh powder?

The test is more likely performed to measure the exhaust noise only and not done to measure track noise which is the biggest component of a sled on hard pack at top speeds. 

Track noise is nothing compared to exhaust.

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

quieter than stock and still against the law....not one of these aftermarket sellers want to spend what it costs to SAE certify the products they sell. 400 bucks for a can and they refuse to do the proper testing to get em legal.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:47 AM, manotickmike said:

I love the sound of my Apex. I can't imagine it sounding any better at a louder level.

The Nytro pales in comparison, but I think it's no accident that Yamaha also makes musical instruments.

No stock exhaust has ever sounded better than an apex.

6 minutes ago, zoso said:

quieter than stock and still against the law....not one of these aftermarket sellers want to spend what it costs to SAE certify the products they sell. 400 bucks for a can and they refuse to do the proper testing to get em legal.

My guess would be that having the SAE certification wouldn't generate more sales.

If you want to crank a few more ponies out of your turbo sled with a tune then you have to go to a more free flowing exhaust. If you can already buy a quieter than stock muffler at $400, how much more would you be willing to pay for the same muffler with an SAE stamp?

Archived