Bad News Concerning Powassan

bbakernbay

powassan.thumb.jpg.bcb2adbd24f7c668ab9173deda445cf6.jpg

Powassan has been a 'Bermuda Triangle' for quite a few years. When we did the RAP tour in '13 we ran the road but lucky for us it had snowed the day before.

I can remember taking D trail north several years ago. Came to an un marked T. Had no idea which way to go so went left, thinking it would avoid the road running. Ended up at a dead end end at Trout Creek. Drove all the way thru town and ran into sledders coming from north and they were wondering where the south trail was. They were able to give me directions to find north trail, was around 10 km's of road running and a few turns on side road. Without there help I would have never found it. Now I just trailer to bonfield or mattawa if I want to go north past this area, been enjoying east side for last few years anyway's.

2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

I can remember taking D trail north several years ago. Came to an un marked T. Had no idea which way to go so went left, thinking it would avoid the road running. Ended up at a dead end end at Trout Creek. Drove all the way thru town and ran into sledders coming from north and they were wondering where the south trail was. They were able to give me directions to find north trail, was around 10 km's of road running and a few turns on side road. Without there help I would have never found it. Now I just trailer to bonfield or mattawa if I want to go north past this area, been enjoying east side for last few years anyway's.

Maps are a good idea.

More fallout from bill 100 . At one time most felt like they were contributing to a better province now we are taxed and controlled so bad that many do not wish to contribute to a province that controls them. Often I feel that this is part of the reason that we lose landowners. The liberal era that hopefully will soon come to a close has been the worst in history for loss of liberty and taxation. 

32 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

More fallout from bill 100 . At one time most felt like they were contributing to a better province now we are taxed and controlled so bad that many do not wish to contribute to a province that controls them. Often I feel that this is part of the reason that we lose landowners. The liberal era that hopefully will soon come to a close has been the worst in history for loss of liberty and taxation. 

X2

49 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

More fallout from bill 100. 

Are you sure the closure wasn't caused by trespassers leaving the trail and causing problems for the landowner?

Powassan was closed due to land owner concerns with Bill 100. We found that even after the bill was amended, it was too late. Land owners had made up their mind, also citing concerns with trespassing, noise, etc. I think it’s one of those ‘all of the above’ reasons for trail closure. Last check there were 3 separate land owners on the SSR700 section who revoked permission.

People need to realize that for every trail closure there is many others on the verge of closure. 

We really need to thank and show respect for the landowners that are generous and kind enough to let us use their property for our trails. We can respect them and their property by staying on the marked trail and whenever we come across one of those landowners be sure to thank them. There is one route I take that crosses a few lakes. Getting on and off the ice at a number of points we are running through private cottage properties with the cottages very close by. On occasion the owners have been at the cottage and outside. When they are I make it a point to stop and thank them for letting us use their property. Sometimes a little goes a long way.

Another thing I do is thank our groomer operators. I pick up a bunch of Tim's gift cards good for a coffee and a muffin. When I come across a groomer on the trail I stop and give them a card. Some of the groomer operators are volunteers and some are paid. Either way none of them are getting rich running long hours often through the night.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:33 AM, 02Sled said:

We really need to thank and show respect for the landowners that are generous and kind enough to let us use their property for our trails. We can respect them and their property by staying on the marked trail and whenever we come across one of those landowners be sure to thank them. There is one route I take that crosses a few lakes. Getting on and off the ice at a number of points we are running through private cottage properties with the cottages very close by. On occasion the owners have been at the cottage and outside. When they are I make it a point to stop and thank them for letting us use their property. Sometimes a little goes a long way.

Another thing I do is thank our groomer operators. I pick up a bunch of Tim's gift cards good for a coffee and a muffin. When I come across a groomer on the trail I stop and give them a card. Some of the groomer operators are volunteers and some are paid. Either way none of them are getting rich running long hours often through the night.

As nice and generous as this sounds, and thank you for the efforts, I am guessing the people that are causing trail closures are typically not the folks on this forum nor are they typically the folks that would actually think twice about doing the actions that cause this, whether reading it somewhere or being told.

With the internet being so popular and social media, with these sorts of "lessons" reiterated time and time again, you would think these actions causing the closures would decrease, but yet they seem to be sadly increasing.....

Might just be a case of how people truly could care less of what that they are told or the repercussions of theirs actions....a sad trait of so many these days.

I am sure the other factor is new ownership of properties and those folks just looking for the smallest reason to shut it down or those that have offered their land for so long but have slowly been chipped at over the years with the small stuff that have amounted to the final straw.

Unless you are passionate about the sport, I can see why many would rather not have a motorized group use their property, whether that group be a respectful group or completely ignorant group.

12 minutes ago, stoney said:

As nice and generous as this sounds, and thank you for the efforts, I am guessing the people that are causing trail closures are typically not the folks on this forum nor are they typically the folks that would actually think twice about doing the actions that cause this, whether reading it somewhere or being told.

With the internet being so popular and social media, with these sorts of "lessons" reiterated time and time again, you would think these actions causing the closures would decrease, but yet they seem to be sadly increasing.....

Might just be a case of how people truly could care less of what that they are told or the repercussions of theirs actions....a sad trait of so many these days.

I am sure the other factor is new ownership of properties and those folks just looking for the smallest reason to shut it down or those that have offered their land for so long but have slowly been chipped at over the years with the small stuff that have amounted to the final straw.

Unless you are passionate about the sport, I can see why many would rather not have a motorized group use their property, whether that group be a respectful group or completely ignorant group.

Agreed.... If enough people went out of their way to thank the property owners and let them know they are appreciated it may counteract some of the negatives from the bad apples.

Agreed, we're preaching to the choir here.  Most, if not all, on this forum appreciate how fragile land owner relationships can be.  How can we get thru to other riders?  In Almaguin, we now have a 2 km road detour thru Katrine due to azzhats.  Last year we lost a long standing Katrine landowner who said they would re-visit the possibility of re-opening the trail this year.  Azzhats who ignored 'trail closed' signs and tresspassed last year have slammed that door closed.

Unfortunately you can’t fix stupid 

16 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

Unfortunately you can’t fix stupid 

X2.... That is the sad truth.

Hope with age, those younger folks with the absent mind, will realize the loss of trails.

Those older, just can't be taught otherwise....

1 hour ago, stoney said:

X2.... That is the sad truth.

Hope with age, those younger folks with the absent mind, will realize the loss of trails.

Those older, just can't be taught otherwise....

The 2 azzhats on ATVs that were on our property during the Thnksgiving weekend, weren't youngsters. Old enough to know what a gate & 'no trespassing' sign means.

IMO the only way to curb this problem is consistent enforcement by ALL sledders. I see it all time where people just ride right by asshats doing this stupid crap that jeopardizes our trail systems, everyone has to sharing in the burden of letting these asshats know how we/you feel about their actions and the consequences they bring about. Public shaming goes a long way in taking away the cool factor for these trail punks.  

We should all start carrying paint ball guns and when you see someone going off trail and jeopardizing that trail, let loose with a hail of paint balls. :lol: Not really but we should be more proactive. For a starter, when you ride with a group, don't let anyone come along unless they have a trail permit. Tell them right up front, sorry, you don't have a trail permit you can't come.

I would but don't need an outdoor pommeling by a bunch of hammer Heads.   I am an old man.  Hand guns are illegal.  Use of an angle iron is frowned upon.

14 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I would but don't need an outdoor pommeling by a bunch of hammer Heads.   I am an old man.  Hand guns are illegal.  Use of an angle iron is frowned upon.

How about a 4 iron. :D

Archived