Recommendations? Sore Back

02Sled

I wonder if an electric vest would help. I am wondering if part of the problem is your lower back is getting chilled.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

My solution is to ride northern ontario.. The northern corridor du  Nord in fact.. Solves my back issues every time...8-)

I would love to do that but it wouldn't stop me from worrying about my roof caving in.

10 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I found after I started using a TekVest, a lot of the back strain was gone.  The vest stabilizes your core and supports your back.  Worked much better than a back brace, and has the added protection in case of an oops.

This has helped me, the last 8 years of wearing a Tek-vest. Have been diagnosed with degenerative lower back discs for 20 years. Told in no uncertain terms to let a chiropractor manipulate my lower spine. Another round of injections coming in Feb.

The most helpful has been my strapping 14 year old son, for the last couple of years. When getting ready for sledding now, I point, he lifts, for ski dollies, lifting the rear of the sled, trailer lid, gas tanks, etc.

If I don't strain my back before the ride, I am much better at the end of a long days ride.

He kids me about it, calls me Fiddy now. (50) But I cover his sledding expenses, so no real complaining.;)

My smart ass wife says there's an easy solution.... stop snowmobiling. When hell freezes over maybe.

Thanks for all the information folks. Here I thought I might be the only one here with these problems and get the wimp award.

My wife then reminded me. Some time ago I bought a bunch of back braces for the guys at work lifting the servers which can weigh 100's of pounds. The sales guy gave me a couple of different samples, in my size before I bought any. I have them in the garage so I will try them out. I thought of them more for lifting than I did for riding and for some reason didn't make the cross connection. Looking at the suggestions here and what is in the garage there is one that is the same and one that is almost identical to what has been suggested.

I may consider the Tek Vest as well. First I will try the braces and see how that works out. Thanks folks.

Gary try a Tekvest. I have a compressed vertebrae in my lower back. I have been using one primarily for safety, but my back never gets sore anymore when riding... Even if it doesn't work for the back its great for protection and also keeps you warm... 

Talk to Wildbill.....

I have had lower back issues for some time now and was recommended to try this brace. The Dr said he recommends it to people for riding horse that have lower back pain and issues. Mine is a  sciatic issue never going away. It is comfortable warm and you can really tighten it up if you need. It has hard plastic of some sort plates in the back to support and protect your lower L1-L5. I don't ride with out it now.   IMG_2017.JPGIMG_2018.JPG

the combination of the kidney belt, and tekvest will help protect, and support your core, and will help with soreness after rides. robaxial and aleeve afterward, will help as well.

usually the first few days of the season are the worst. once your body gets acquainted with the muscles used in riding, you will be less, and less sore. generally most sore back issues are related to a weak core. if you can, exercise targeting the abs, to strengthen back support. Ski

8 hours ago, 02Sled said:

My smart ass wife says there's an easy solution.... stop snowmobiling. When hell freezes over maybe.

When it does, drop the scratchers and GIVE 'ER !!!! 

34 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

usually the first few days of the season are the worst. once your body gets acquainted with the muscles used in riding, you will be less, and less sore. generally most sore back issues are related to a weak core. if you can, exercise targeting the abs, to strengthen back support. Ski

I agree with this, the first few rides we do local are usually pretty bouncy so that gets all the muscles moving around and broken in pretty good.  Usually not long enough rides to be sore, but enough to get moving around.  This weekend we did 150+ km in really cold weather, but surprisingly I wasn't the least bit sore on Sunday morning.  Maybe from having done enough short runs to set in the muscles, maybe from my recent seat foam modification , or maybe the Crown Royal ... whatever works ....

42 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

the combination of the kidney belt, and tekvest will help protect, and support your core, and will help with soreness after rides. robaxial and aleeve afterward, will help as well.

Robax for me does not do much. Aleve, causing stomach aches for some reason. Advil and/or over the counter T1's seem to work so much better, or if you get the Dr. to subscribe these little White pills that are in the shape of a home plate in baseball, they do wonders ! 

As for exercising, do either planks and/or superman.....good core building exercises. 

23 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

My solution is to ride northern ontario.. The northern corridor du  Nord in fact.. Solves my back issues every time...8-)

...while also improving your frame of mind...:-D

Right now I have 3 different back supports to try out this weekend. Going back over what has been suggested all three have recommendations from the forum. I will try each of them and hopefully one will come out better than the others and one will resolve my back issues. If not the next step will be the vest as well. I already have enough bulk around my middle so a brace and a vest may require investment in a new suit as well. I appreciate the recommendations of riding the north but it's a bit of a haul to make each week.

It is comforting to know however I'm not the only one with this problem and that others have found solutions. It makes me optimistic.

Gee am I agreeing with the Mouse?????:-D

22 hours ago, stoney said:

Robax for me does not do much. Aleve, causing stomach aches for some reason. Advil and/or over the counter T1's seem to work so much better, or if you get the Dr. to subscribe these little White pills that are in the shape of a home plate in baseball, they do wonders ! 

As for exercising, do either planks and/or superman.....good core building exercises. 

Yes they do work well.

Dilaudid during the ride works great for me. 

Shock Doctor 836. I've been wearing it for close to ten years (ok - I'm 60). Great for the back, kidney and even extra warmth...They have a few models.

https://www.shockdoctor.com/deluxe-back-support

Aside from back supports etc there is something you can do to your sled as well. Cat has an updated center shock spring that's more compliant for the Procross with 129" track. I bet that would help a lot. Another thing is if you're going to keep the El Tigre for awhile, check out the seat on the 6000 RXC. It is softer than other Cats to help make up for the stiffest suspension Cat has to offer is my guess. Jrhz06 has an RXC and another procross Cat. He has seat time on the two different seats, maybe  he can confirm the seat softness as well. 

some core exercises at home will go a long way also.  All the above will help treat a sore back from a weak core, but fix the core will go a long way.

that being said, get a tekvest even if you don't have a sore back.

On 1/9/2017 at 5:12 PM, Hkb82 said:

I have had lower back issues for some time now and was recommended to try this brace. The Dr said he recommends it to people for riding horse that have lower back pain and issues. Mine is a  sciatic issue never going away. It is comfortable warm and you can really tighten it up if you need. It has hard plastic of some sort plates in the back to support and protect your lower L1-L5. I don't ride with out it now.   IMG_2017.JPGIMG_2018.JPG

Where can you get one 

1 hour ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Aside from back supports etc there is something you can do to your sled as well. Cat has an updated center shock spring that's more compliant for the Procross with 129" track. I bet that would help a lot. Another thing is if you're going to keep the El Tigre for awhile, check out the seat on the 6000 RXC. It is softer than other Cats to help make up for the stiffest suspension Cat has to offer is my guess. Jrhz06 has an RXC and another procross Cat. He has seat time on the two different seats, maybe  he can confirm the seat softness as well. 

I would adjust the rear suspension as soft as it can go and the work up from there.

Soupkids I got it at a pharmacy near my house needed it a couple days before heading to Cochran so didn't shop around. It saved my trip without a doubt.  It is much cheaper if you buy online think it was 89.99 at pharmacy like 50-60 bucks online. 

13 hours ago, soupkids said:

I would adjust the rear suspension as soft as it can go and the work up from there.

The front skid shock is primarily what'll give you a harsh ride, get the puppy with as little preload as possible without bottoming out.

Adjusting the rear is also good, but I've always found the front skid shock was more important when dialing in the comfort of the ride.

Archived