Recommendations? Sore Back

02Sled

Soften up you suspension, stretch everyday especially hamstrings (one of the main causes of lower back pain), wear a good back brace with suspenders when you ride, not overly tight just enough to remind you to keep good posture while sledding. After a few rides your muscles will be use to riding.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lower back stretches is like magic , done 2-3 times a day if able to, also a good brisk 2 mile walk every morning helps me. My back now at 63+ feels better then it did 20 years ago. Maybe the rmotion suspension helps alot too??

On 08/01/2017 at 10:33 PM, blue er said:

Get a yoga ball. Do some stretches with it best 10bux u can spend

And use it all year... Off season conditioning is just as important for your body.

15 XC and 16 Ltd. Not a huge difference in seat feel but the Ltd rides really well. Both my wife and I agree that it has a better ride than the GSX that she came off of.  I'm suspecting that the new front track spring has had a huge impact as well as the change to the QS3 shocks. If I see you on the trails this year you're more than welcome to try ours.

Frosty, I think you'll find that the RR is sprung stiffer(check the torsion spring rates in the manual) than the XC. I've ridden both and find the XC to ride much smoother and compliant compared to the RR. Better shocks on the XC and a softer spring.

• 4 weeks later...

We got to Port Severn on the weekend and happily found knee deep snow in front of the snowmobile trailer. The tongue was buried. Wahoo! We got out for some outstanding riding on Saturday and Sunday. It was the weekend to experiment with back braces. I had three in varying widths. We did a great loop riding the snow covered service road from Port Severn south to Waubaushene and then the trails from there.

Capture.JPG

Started with a narrow brace that helped and with the abundance of fresh smooth snow seemed to work pretty good. It was about 6 inches wide. One of the unfortunate aspects of the route is the essential lack of somewhere to stop for washrooms, a sit and food or drink. I did notice what looks to be a barn board road side kind of hot dog stand. We did however stop at  the only real place to go inside, Mount St. Louis Moonstone Ski Resort (Red Balloon on the map) We did get some strange looks pulling into the parking lot and then walking into the chalet cafeteria. Once we sat down for a while my back did start to stiffen up a bit. I switched to the next wider brace and it made a significant difference for the rest of the ride home. The trails were also rougher due to the abundance of traffic. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes. I have tried on the 3rd which is much wider again but didn't find it all that comfortable to begin with. I'm going to try out the mid size for a while and see how it works out. The mid size is an Obus Forme back belt.

Capture.JPG

OK, don't laugh, but Yoga has really turned things around for me. I was slowly getting tighter and inflexible. I had good core strength, but couldn't move - developed lower back issues. Not discs, muscle problems. As stated in other posts, stretching. Nothing stretches and develops like Yoga. It took me awhile to take advice to do it., but it has really helped my riding game.

5 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

OK, don't laugh, but Yoga has really turned things around for me. I was slowly getting tighter and inflexible. I had good core strength, but couldn't move - developed lower back issues. Not discs, muscle problems. As stated in other posts, stretching. Nothing stretches and develops like Yoga. It took me awhile to take advice to do it., but it has really helped my riding game.

From what I understand yoga also helps align your spine, and a lot of issues as you get older is your posture / spine alignment, that affects the nerves that affect various parts of your body i.e . nerve damage that do not allow the muscle to heal fast or at all.

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

We got to Port Severn on the weekend and happily found knee deep snow in front of the snowmobile trailer. The tongue was buried. Wahoo! We got out for some outstanding riding on Saturday and Sunday. It was the weekend to experiment with back braces. I had three in varying widths. We did a great loop riding the snow covered service road from Port Severn south to Waubaushene and then the trails from there.

Capture.JPG

Started with a narrow brace that helped and with the abundance of fresh smooth snow seemed to work pretty good. It was about 6 inches wide. One of the unfortunate aspects of the route is the essential lack of somewhere to stop for washrooms, a sit and food or drink. I did notice what looks to be a barn board road side kind of hot dog stand. We did however stop at  the only real place to go inside, Mount St. Louis Moonstone Ski Resort (Red Balloon on the map) We did get some strange looks pulling into the parking lot and then walking into the chalet cafeteria. Once we sat down for a while my back did start to stiffen up a bit. I switched to the next wider brace and it made a significant difference for the rest of the ride home. The trails were also rougher due to the abundance of traffic. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes. I have tried on the 3rd which is much wider again but didn't find it all that comfortable to begin with. I'm going to try out the mid size for a while and see how it works out. The mid size is an Obus Forme back belt.

Capture.JPG

From that red balloon up to

waubaushene is a nice section. Glad that brace is helping!

2 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

Image result for yoga memes

I have some lower disk problems and have started swimming at the recommendation of the doctors to help with flexibility without putting any undue pressure on the back. Apparently according to the doctors it is the best possible exercise. It exercises every muscle in the body when swimming including the heart and lungs.

I had Lazer done on my back , they put lazer belts on your back for a hr or so , it repairs the scar tissue and worked great, had about 10 1 hr sessions all together ,brand new now,no pills anymore 

go in every 6 months now just for a tune up ,the girls in the barrie office did a great job 

Swimming was also recommended to me by my dr for my back. If yoga helps I can think of 2 good reasons to try that lol. Glad to hear the brace has been helping you out this season. 

I go to see my doctor on Monday, going to get e script for an obus one to see if it helps me.

Archived