Snowmobile Fatalities 2016-2017

Blake G

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/snowmobile-collision-leaves-one-man-dead-529169

Snowmobile collision leaves one man dead

Both operators were thrown from their sleds.
about 3 hours ago by: BayToday Staff

Kirkland Lake OPP are investigating a collision between two snowmobiles yesterday afternoon that left one man dead.

The two snowmobile were travelling on Beaver House Road, approximately 2 kilometres east of Dobie in Gauthier Township, 15 km east of Kirkland Lake.

OPP say a westbound machine collided with an eastbound vehicle. Both operators were thrown from their sleds. They were taken to the Kirkland Lake District Hospital as a result of injuries.

The driver of one of the vehicles Jean Lacroix, 60, from Dobie, was later pronounced dead from his injuries.

A 22 year man from Englehart was flown to the Sudbury Health Science North with serious, non- life threatening injuries.

OPP Technical Collision Investigation Unit assisted in the investigation.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When is the carnage going to stop? Condolences to Mr. Lacroix's family for their loss. 

seems to be a  weekly event now a days 

7 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

When is the carnage going to stop? Condolences to Mr. Lacroix's family for their loss. 

Never will, keeps getting worse every year...so it seems

6 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

seems to be a  weekly event now a days 

More than weekly, I know I have read news of at least 3 sled related deaths since last Wednesday.

My mother ,a non sledder asked me one day are snowmobiles supposed to stop when they cross a road , i said of course,she replied that when they cross her street in a subdivision they dont stop they just coast across and then take off,she thinks there is going be a accident there any day now, she said she takes another rd to town because they spin up the snow a leave a huge bump across the rd and her car is low , embarresed to be a sledder 

21 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

My mother ,a non sledder asked me one day are snowmobiles supposed to stop when they cross a road , i said of course,she replied that when they cross her street in a subdivision they dont stop they just coast across and then take off,she thinks there is going be a accident there any day now, she said she takes another rd to town because they spin up the snow a leave a huge bump across the rd and her car is low , embarresed to be a sledder 

Are you the guilty party ???

LOL

my mom did ask if i drive my sled like that .LOL wonder why she would ask that ?

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

my mom did ask if i drive my sled like that .LOL wonder why she would ask that ?

The all knowing moms of this world !!!!

My sister the other weekend asks me if I'm still alive & made it home after sledding, I said, "of course, why wouldn't I be"....she says, "well you never know with snowmobiling"....

New news report states the snowmobiler died on scene. Driver of the car broke their arm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like theres two more people missing 

Near Wilberforce:

http://thehighlander.ca/tragedy-on-dark-lake?id=727

Near Nipigon:

http://www.magic999.ca/news/510827165/body-found-after-2-men-disappear-snowmobiling

Then there was the ice fisherman that drowned near Brantford:

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2017/02/18/man-falls-through-ice-at-waterford-ponds

The report on VR Land said the family of Mr Lacroix wished people would be more careful while out snowmobiling. I think a message more like the 1 thread (Slow The...) would be more apt. 

Sadly all were avoidable. The only ice I was on this year was Six Mile Lake and that was following the regular stake line route that was being staked that day after test holes had been drilled to check the thickness. The picture of the helmet and boot on the broken ice is a real strong image.

I can't believe the number of people that have been on Georgian Bay this year in some very questionable areas.

That ice does not appear to be more than 2 inches thick at most. I cannot believe what some people will travel on. 

Gotta say it again, like a stuck record... Floatation suits and ice picks. Ontario is the land of a thousand lakes and with the uncertain weather conditions - well it's obvious, isn't it ?

11 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Gotta say it again, like a stuck record... Floatation suits and ice picks. Ontario is the land of a thousand lakes and with the uncertain weather conditions - well it's obvious, isn't it ?

Even on staked ice I want my floater suit and picks.

15 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Even on staked ice I want my floater suit and picks.

I'm known for my ice picks around my neck. It's like they're part of me. I don't care if they aren't fashionable. Never ride without them, even on a planned overland route, because you just don't know and things can go south really fast. The best safety net is preparation.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping this wasn't someone that we know on here:

https://www.timminstoday.com/local-news/snowmobiler-dead-after-collision-with-logging-truck-562914?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

579 runs north from Cochrane to the ice bridge at Gardiner.

It was the friend of someone on here, they were riding the canyon yesterday. 

Not good. Hopefully we can continue to use logging roads when they are required for logging and companies won't want future trails closed while in use, because of incidents like the above. I see people riding double wide down logging roads and and passing slower moving sleds. I bet some riders don't even know they are on a logging road.

Sad to hear...21 now...

7 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Not good. Hopefully we can continue to use logging roads when they are required for logging and companies won't want future trails closed while in use, because of incidents like the above. I see people riding double wide down logging roads and and passing slower moving sleds. I bet some riders don't even know they are on a logging road.

I respect your opinion but in a case like this it would be wise of you to avoid making comments when u you don't know what really happened and out of respect for the families involved to not pass judgment on a situation like this. I know for a fact they were not speeding or being reckless. 

Archived