2 deaths on D north of Sault Sat Feb 20

Blake G

post-22473-0-68129100-1456077298_thumb.png

Not hard to fathom 2 guys riding hard ...maybe meet in a blind corner at speed, or cresting a hill, bad weather, fogged faceshield .... doesn't take much to lose concentration... accidents happen quick.  Found myself way tight to the edge of the trail yesterday, despite the less than desirable condition of the trails... it's what you gotta do if you don't wanna have an oops.  

Condolences to the families.

I have had people come towards me and get air on the same hill as they pass you. Then the second sled slams on his brakes and almost slides towards you. People just get going and are in a rush to cover 500 kms that day.

I disagree with Denis 007. I don't know what happened  and most here probably don't. For all we  know, one sled /person may have been stopped. We all have to remember is that 'idiots ride among us.'  About the best we can do is keep right in all situations and hope for the best.

RW

I disagree with Denis 007. I don't know what happened and most here probably don't. For all we know, one sled /person may have been stopped. We all have to remember is that 'idiots ride among us.' About the best we can do is keep right in all situations and hope for the best.

RW

Neither do I .. why the F does everyone have to read something into a problem? All I did was mention possibilities ... Jesus, gimme a freaking break ...

Neither do I .. why the F does everyone have to read something into a problem? All I did was mention possibilities ... Jesus, gimme a freaking break ...

Hey Denis. We all want the details behind such a tragedy. Speculation is part of trying to understand the tragedy. I can see the events that both you and RW explain, far too clearly. Back to the original post; two people past doing what we love to do. 

Could easily happen, for so many reasons.

RIP

I disagree with Denis 007. I don't know what happened  and most here probably don't. For all we  know, one sled /person may have been stopped. We all have to remember is that 'idiots ride among us.'  About the best we can do is keep right in all situations and hope for the best.

RW

At times we have all been "idiots" in some way shape or form 

It is sad, whatever the circumstances.  It can happen all too fast out there.  Everyone please stay safe.

Condolences to family and friends.

This has been the worst season - too many fatalities, too little miles. I think it will be best to get this season behind us.

X2 RIP fellow sledders.

At times we have all been "idiots" in some way shape or form

The report says it was a head on at the crest of a hill 76 km north of Sesrchmont and 70 km south of Halfway Haven. Nothing else has been released yet.

I once almost killed my buddy and myself cresting a hill. We were,on a saddlebag trip and he saw a sled that had left the trail and was stuck, so he stopped. Problem is he stopped right on the other side of a blind hill on the trail. He and my other buddy had gone the wrong way, I sat and waited a few minutes thinking they would see the trail sign and come back, but when five minutes had passed I knew they were getting far away so I followed. I was going at a decent clip when I crested the hill, luckily I was able to navigate through him and his parked sled. You just never know when you may have a brain fart. The guy that set up the stage for a potential accident is always very concerned with safety, to the point it is annoying, yet he did that.

very very sad news...its just going to get worse I believe....the bigger and faster sleds get the more this happens in my opinion...I have  almost bit the dust a few times this year from on coming sleds , having to take the bush to get out of the way....all theses sleds I met were not 340 Enticers or a 98 500 Skidoo...they were all amost brand new sleds flying down the trails and slamming through corners....I know most will say that its not the sleds fault its the drivers...I agree but the reality is bigger and faster sleds don't help the idiot factor...once again, very very sad news....

Sorry Denis. My Mistake. I guess I didn't read close enough to realize you were only suggesting possibilities . I agree now.

RW

All good, no harm done.  There are just too many variables to the rider and an accident happens in split-seconds.  Around here we ride being as safe as humanly possible (while still trying to keep an enjoyable pace, whatever that pace may be), always keeping in mind that some azzhat might be screaming around the corner in the middle or wrong side of the trail.  I hate daytime riding for that, no warning .... at least in the evening you see the headlights coming .....  I tend to ride harder at night for that exact reason, not to mention the scenery is much more enjoyable thru the headlights ....  :)

If you can't stay ALL the way to the right on the turns, you are going too fast. We all need to insist on that.

If you can't stay ALL the way to the right on the turns, you are going too fast. We all need to insist on that.

I'm sure there are some that will say if you are all the way to the right on the turns you aren't going fast enough. After all the wannabe snow cross riders that also have a need to be airborne on a hill don't see them worry about what side of a turn they are on when racing.

Part of the problem probably lies in some of the manufacturers marketing ads. We have all likely seen the sneak peek video for Yamaha 2017 sleds. Snowdust is all you see as the sled goes by so fast you can't see what it is. Then some people see that and say that is what I want and how I want to ride it.

very very sad news...its just going to get worse I believe....the bigger and faster sleds get the more this happens in my opinion...I have  almost bit the dust a few times this year from on coming sleds , having to take the bush to get out of the way....all theses sleds I met were not 340 Enticers or a 98 500 Skidoo...they were all amost brand new sleds flying down the trails and slamming through corners....I know most will say that its not the sleds fault its the drivers...I agree but the reality is bigger and faster sleds don't help the idiot factor...once again, very very sad news....

I have to agree,most of all trail systems are not designed for high speed anyway. 

I have to agree,most of all trail systems are not designed for high speed anyway.

That's what lakes are for. :)

That's what lakes are for. :)

Just be sure to do a slow run to check for pressure cracks first or someone could be cleaning up a heck of a mess. Hit a pressure crack from one direction, you and the sled become airborne. From the opposite direction the sled stops like it hit a brick wall and only the rider becomes airborne. Saw a wrecked sled against a Georgian Bay pressure crack a couple of years ago with a pretty good size blood stain on the snow.

Archived