2 deaths on D north of Sault Sat Feb 20

Blake G

Just be sure to do a slow run to check for pressure cracks first or someone could be cleaning up a heck of a mess. Hit a pressure crack from one direction, you and the sled become airborne. From the opposite direction the sled stops like it hit a brick wall and only the rider becomes airborne. Saw a wrecked sled against a Georgian Bay pressure crack a couple of years ago with a pretty good size blood stain on the snow.

I hit one on Nipissing in 2002 from the wrong direction as 02 says, it makes quite a mess.   I was hosting a sled parts yard sale right there on the ice; green and black pieces everywhere.  I was fortunate; not like these two.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and all of you as we venture out into the unknown.  Be as safe as you can, sometimes it's not easy.  Everyone says "stay right"  ever try to really do that on a corner that has been ridden hard with a serious berm forcing you to the other side?  Still, there are things we all can do like taking care where you stop.  I recall coming upon a group that thought one of those turns into the bush on "C" trail just north of Post 392 would be a "pretty" place for a break.....I managed to avoid a crash and I didn't stop to have a conversation about common sense.   Please be safe out there and think of yourself as you round that corner or come over that rise.

Just be sure to do a slow run to check for pressure cracks first or someone could be cleaning up a heck of a mess. Hit a pressure crack from one direction, you and the sled become airborne. From the opposite direction the sled stops like it hit a brick wall and only the rider becomes airborne. Saw a wrecked sled against a Georgian Bay pressure crack a couple of years ago with a pretty good size blood stain on the snow.

Thanks for the heads up. Have had lots of experience with pressure cracks from my days on the Holland River / Cooks Bay. Lots of hi speed runs in that neighborhood. Two things helped me there -  fairly sure where they usually occur and blue blocker lenses for those gray days when the lake and sky are indistinguishable. I've also seen mishaps where things did not go well for the rider. 

These days I ride only familiar areas and only "hit it" where and when I know is good.

I hit one on Nipissing in 2002 from the wrong direction as 02 says, it makes quite a mess.   I was hosting a sled parts yard sale right there on the ice; green and black pieces everywhere.  I was fortunate; not like these two.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and all of you as we venture out into the unknown.  Be as safe as you can, sometimes it's not easy.  Everyone says "stay right"  ever try to really do that on a corner that has been ridden hard with a serious berm forcing you to the other side?  Still, there are things we all can do like taking care where you stop.  I recall coming upon a group that thought one of those turns into the bush on "C" trail just north of Post 392 would be a "pretty" place for a break.....I managed to avoid a crash and I didn't stop to have a conversation about common sense.   Please be safe out there and think of yourself as you round that corner or come over that rise.

Glad you survived that wrong direction pressure crack. Sorry your sled didn't. Georgian Bay is notorious for pressure cracks. I hit one once going the good direction and not going all that fast with poor light. Suddenly airborne coming down with a thud. Sore back for a couple of days.

A different risk awareness kicks in up there. Assistance is hours away. Ride accordingly.

Thoughts and prayers are with those riders, their family and friends.

We arrived at Halfway Haven as the rescue was being coordinated. The accident was 110 kms to the south of HH. A rider from one of the 2 groups drove 110 kms to HH to advise/seek assistance.

A different risk awareness kicks in up there. Assistance is hours away. Ride accordingly.

We arrived at Halfway Haven as the rescue was being coordinated. The accident was 110 kms to the south of HH. A rider from one of the 2 groups drove 110 kms to HH to advise/seek assistance.

This the sad reality.  I remember about 10 yrs ago heading South from Hornepayne to D'ville and passing a group of sledders heading North pulling a dead sled and then seeing an ambulance flying down an access road visible from the trail.  If I recall, the actual accident was almost halfway between the two towns.

Ride Safe.

Actually it was 64.3 km south of halfway haven as i was there. By my odometer.

Very sad anytime you hear about accidents like this. Rest in Peace fellow sledders.

Archived