Late Season OC Ride and Gathering

sledjunk

Late Winter Ride  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in an OC Ride based in Wawa around March 15?

2. 2. If you do attend, how many days would you expect to spend in Wawa?

3. 3. Are you available to assist with the planning and arrangements?

• Yes, and I am local.
    • Yes, but I am not local.
    • Sorry, I can't help.
  4. 4. How many people will be in your group and will you have any extra space for carpooling?

• Just me and I am full.
    • Just me but I have space for 1 more.
    • Just me but I have space for 2 more.
    • Just me but I have space for 3 more.
    • Two of us and I am full.
    • Two of us but I have space for 1 more.
    • Two of us but I have space for 2 more.
    • Three of us and I am full.
    • Three of us but I have space for 1 more.
    • Four of us and I am full.
    • Just me and I am looking for a ride
    • Just me and I will be travelling with someone else
    • Other (Please post a comment)

I was going to hold off on this until my winter plans were finalized, but in light of recent developments (No Trails West of D'Ville http://ontariocondit...rict-16-closed/ and the Wawa Flooding http://ontariocondit...-wawa-flooding/ ) I figured that this was as good a time as any and may allow some of us to send some of our permit sales north.

We have discussed this in the past and we were almost a go last year except the winter ended on us.

I am starting to put together plans for a late season OC Ride. It will be based out of the Wawa Motor Inn in Wawa. I chose this place for a couple of reasons.

First, the area is being battered by the economy and low permit sales and I think we can help to some extent.

Second, the Wawa Motor Inn is a fairly large facility and has restaurant and bar facilities on site. That means after we are done riding, the keys can be put away for the night while we 'socialize'.

I have not made any reservations at the hotel yet but will talk to them shortly.

The idea at this point is to set Friday March 15 and Saturday March 16 to be the core OC days. People can arrive either earlier or stay later as their individual schedules permit to increase the riding - driving ratio.

The routes will not be preset but as the event gets closer, I expect that some of the local experts (Ski, AC+YA, GG, Finndian, and others) may be able to suggest some local loops of various lengths for the different riders.

Please fill out the survey and post comments or suggestions.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the very thorough survey and initiative on this ride, Sledjunk.

March Break is 11th to 15th this year.

Me too. I would be up for an end of the week gathering spilling into the next week if there is enough interest and the weather holds out this year.

Planning to go there this year during that week, but not likely to stay at Wawa Motor Inn. Will meet you there and look forward to opportunity for a group ride.

Last year Wawa in March - helmet, wind breaker, running shoes:

post-19713-0-11519300-1351332127_thumb.j

post-19713-0-99408400-1351332136_thumb.j

Where's that London Calling fella who wanted to go last year?

would luv to go but limited to one trip per year

i would wait to see what happens with the city of wawa and the roads, trails, ect... they may have the ENTIRE TOWNS HOTELS packed with construction workers trying the fix the transcon highway. there may be no room for little baby jesus at the inn. Ski

would luv to go but limited to one trip per year

Just work some overtime, like moi. Lol. Enjoy your one trip bud.

oh i work enough overtime now. only 2 weeks holidays using one for rap tour. wawa is a bit more than a weekend jaunt . be a great area to ride for sure

oh i work enough overtime now. only 2 weeks holidays using one for rap tour. wawa is a bit more than a weekend jaunt . be a great area to ride for sure

I will be there for the next week, if the weather holds, normally it does.

Will see what we can do, but will camp at my cousins instead and used the saved money for gas :)

To far for me to drag my sled in the trailer I have :(

How about a mid season closer to home

x2

come to the PET Ride :)

come to the PET Ride :)

I was thinking the same!

whats the pet ride? one closer to home you can count me in

• 3 months later...

We are getting close to March, now, so I guess it is time to revisit this.

I understand that Wawa and D'ville now have lots of snow. I would hope that the locals (GG, Finndian, sled2nr) can advise on whether there are suitable groomed loops to make this interesting.

My plans are still to drive up either Tuesday night or Wednesday and home on Sunday.

Who is still interested?

We are getting close to March, now, so I guess it is time to revisit this.

I understand that Wawa and D'ville now have lots of snow. I would hope that the locals (GG, Finndian, sled2nr) can advise on whether there are suitable groomed loops to make this interesting.

My plans are still to drive up either Tuesday night or Wednesday and home on Sunday.

Who is still interested?

I might still be, depending on the info you get back on the availability of "suitable groomed loops", and of course, what Mother Nature does in the meantime. Are your proposed dates still the same? (i.e. "core" dates of Friday March 15th & Saturday March 16th?) I'm assuming you would propose to stay in Wawa and ride day-loops from there.

You are correct on all counts. I certainly hope that the original mandate to only groom TOP trails was reconsidered (although it doesn't appear to be on the IAFG). It would be a shame to have to change the location or simply ride back and forth on the same trail.

I am interested to some degree. Being retired the March Break dates would not be my favorite time because it means busier trails than I prefer. The second negative aspect of the plan is that in studying the Interactive Trail Guide, it shows only one small loop right at Wawa and everything else would be out and back trails.

Therefor for me personally, other dates would be better and a different area maybe closer to my home base of Barrie would be preferred.

I will monitor this topic and as it evolves I will make a decision one way or another .

If I was to go I would have room for one person with a sled and trailer.

Archived